Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hardtail sporty

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007 | 04:34 PM
bobbsterkid7
|
Tourer
Default hardtail sporty

and build one of these and or have riddenone? I am looking at one right now and I want to know if it being a hardtail is going to kill me, I have never ridden a hardtail, so I don't know what to expect. the bike is also a few hours away so it's not like I can just drop by and test drive it, if it's a waste of my time, I won't even make the trip.

Old 06-19-2007 | 04:40 PM
sleepneagle
Outstanding HDF Member
Default RE: hardtail sporty

the only suspension you have is the seat and air pressure in the tire. Speaking from experience, I would never have a hardtail bike again. Sporties never were a hardtail. it ain't factory.

Old 06-19-2007 | 04:47 PM
toemoss
Advanced

Depends on alot of factors, I have a 74 honda cb360 hardtail bobber I built. I like it but I am not going on 300 mile rides on it. If its the right price, you are young enough with no back injuries I say get it. I like hardtails in the twisties because on a corner the rear of the bike does not dip and you "feel" the road better.

Old 06-19-2007 | 04:56 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member

Riding a 'hardtail' won't kill you by any means, but needless to say the lack of a rear suspension won't give as smooth of a ride as you might be use to.

For many years my 'main ride' was a chopped hardtail Panhead, and I rode it all around the country. It was rough riding, and you felt every little bump in the road. Wasn't even running a front brake on it. LoL....

It really depends on how much comfort you need, as some people require more than others.

You might check out the Sportster Section of the below site.

Friend of mine owns a company that builds custom bikes and trikes, and they even manufacture their own frames. They have information and show pictures of many of the 'chopped' Sportster they have built for customers.

Many guys are building custom bikes and running the modified Softail frames. As you probably know, on the Softail frames the shocks are hidden from view, so you get the look of a hardtail but the comfort of a Softail suspension.

http://www.choppersforever.com/

Old 06-19-2007 | 05:06 PM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member

To be honest, I don't even know why people have such an idea, if you like the look of a hardtail, get a after market softail rolling chassis and build one with your sportster engine. I love a good looking bike as well as good handling, just my $0.02 cents. Alex

Old 06-19-2007 | 07:38 PM
HD7585
Outstanding HDF Member

Yes..................It Will Kill You [8D]

Old 06-19-2007 | 07:58 PM
bobbsterkid7
|
Tourer

yeah I know what you mean every idea I have had about building a custom is based on a softail. I would over the winter save up the cash for the softtail frame and swap everything!

or I could save over the winter and buy a fatboy?

Old 06-19-2007 | 08:51 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member

ORIGINAL: 128auto

To be honest, I don't even know why people have such an idea, if you like the look of a hardtail, get a after market softail rolling chassis and build one with your sportster engine. I love a good looking bike as well as good handling, just my $0.02 cents. Alex
People have the ideas 'cause a softail frame doesn't look like a rigid, only a close approximation. Sometimes ya just gotta have the real thing!

If you are that interested in a rigid, check out a solo seat with springs, or go the whole way and get a Rigid-aire seat suspension(what Indian Larry used - big bucks, though). I rode a rigid for about 10 years. It was sometimes a rougher ride than I wanted, but it was what I had.

Old 06-19-2007 | 08:57 PM
swervedriver
Advanced

screw that
the sporty suspension is rough enough already

Old 06-19-2007 | 10:35 PM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member

pococj, I agreed with what you said, close approximation is why softail being made.
You didn't get my point though, what I mean is if you want to convert a Sportster to a hardtail, it doesn't look right and of course uncomfortable, imagine taking the shocks out and put a solid strut there, what does it look like? Your bike looks awesome because it is rigid not a Sportster or Dyna conversion, you know what I am saying? Bottom line, if you like the look of a rigid, you will learn to hate the rough road, correct? It could be just me, I like a good looking bike and comfy ride. Later Alex

[quote]ORIGINAL: pococj

ORIGINAL: pococj

ORIGINAL: 128auto

People have the ideas 'cause a softail frame doesn't look like a rigid, only a close approximation. Sometimes ya just gotta have the real thing!

If you are that interested in a rigid, check out a solo seat with springs, or go the whole way and get a Rigid-aire seat suspension (what Indian Larry used - big bucks, though). I rode a rigid for about 10 years. It was sometimes a rougher ride than I wanted, but it was what I had.

Quick Reply: hardtail sporty