Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sportster shutting off?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 04:06 PM
JohnnyG
Default RE: Sportster shutting off?

LOL thanks im not too good at all that math type stuff with numbers and lettersLOL!

Old 06-21-2007, 04:11 PM
wannahdawg
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

two things.
1: take your petcock valve back off and change or clean the filter. MAKE sure that the rubber gasket on the valve is on the valve right.
2: take the bowl off the bottom of the carb and remove fuel gell, water, gunk, funk, etc. reinstall with new gasket. once that is complete remove jet and clean with carb cleaner, reinstall. then reassemble everything and crank bike. (get a spray bottle first, put seafoam in spray bottle). spray seafoam into carb with a/c removed while bike is idling. (don't ask, my buddy tried to spray the seafoam with the filter still on). keep bike idling while spraying sea foam.
3: change spark plug wires. (and plugs seeing you're already there).

if still having problem change ignition module.

if still having problem, get motorcycle going as fast as you can, when it shuts off, run into nearest tree. problem solved.

hope this helps,

wanna

Old 06-21-2007, 04:24 PM
JohnnyG

????? Ive been contemplating that last piece of advice you gave me for the last couple of days, But i cant really complain cause the bike was actually given to me, but thanks for the detailed advice. the only thing is ive never actually messed with any type of carburators before so im probably going to have to get some kind of manual before doing this. Dont get me wrong im pretty mechanically savy, BUT thats uncharted territory for me.

Old 06-22-2007, 04:33 PM
wannahdawg
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

carbs are one of the easiest things to work on, granted you have a clean environment. all you gotta do is remove it piece by piece and put it beside you in a neat layout, that way when you go to put it back together it's all there. just layout all the pieces you take off in an order where you won't forget how it came apart. if you can remember how to put it back together you're golden. i take a clean white rag and lay everything on it as i take it apart. then i clean the chit out of everything. check my jets to see if they're not clogged or bent, then reassemble as required. hope this helps man.

later and good luck,

wanna