Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Official Statment For '07s & Slip-ons

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 02:35 PM
pwnzilla
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Official Statment For '07s & Slip-ons

Went up to my dealer last week to buy some hwy peg mounts. While I was there I talked with the manager and he told me and I quote:

"We are having quite a few '07 bikes leave with slip-ons without any adjustments and they seem to run just fine"

So I asked him if it would/could do any harm to the bike, he said:

"Not at highway speeds but if you run in cities or slow moving traffic a lot it may blue the pipes"

I also asked him if it would throw the engine light and he said:

"It shouldn't because the O2 sensor has enough tolerance to let it slide, depending on how aggresive the pipes are"

He also added that none of the sportster computers will 'learn' and adjust themselves.

So I'm ordering some V&H Straightshot slip-ons this week and picking them up next payday!

Old 06-18-2007, 03:52 PM
kelticknotts
Cruiser
Default RE: Official Statment For '07s & Slip-ons

please keep me posted on the outcome...I'm trying to firgure out a plan for my bike....Thanks!

Old 06-18-2007, 04:10 PM
kelticknotts
Cruiser

I just got off the phone with my dealer and he said that there is no remap for slipons....then I spoke to a cycle shack dealer and he says that you sould remap anytime you screw with the exhaust....what gives???

Old 06-18-2007, 04:10 PM
rob i
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

no offense, but I wouldn't believe everything the manager at your dealership tells you.

That being said, what he said makes sense.

Rob

Old 06-18-2007, 04:15 PM
pwnzilla
Cruiser

Well I have been trying to find a solid answer to this question for weeks and I know dealers don't know all, hell they don't normally know sh*t. But this guy seams like he knows what's going on. Plus I've spoke with some people who have done it on their '07s and they also say it will run just fine but dont sit in traffic idling too long.

The other guys at this same dealer told me you MUST buy a computer for all EFI models for any mods, but I've come to the conclusion that they're just trying to make a sale. They also told me that downloads don't exist anymore in '07.

So I'm going to order my pipes and if my bike runs like hell I'll put the stocks back on until I can afford a computer and air cleaner.

Once I get them installed I'll post letting you guys know what I found out.

Old 06-18-2007, 04:22 PM
pwnzilla
Cruiser

Just an added thought: On harley-davidson.com in the accessories section when you choose the SE slip-ons it says nothing about a remap etc. just a pair of clamps. I realize that the new SE pipes aren't as high flow as aftermarket but it's still worth noting.

Just looked up the SE A/C and it says at the bottom of the description "ECM calibration required" so obviously they do know enough to put that on their A/C, but it isn't on their slip-ons, so I'm guessing it's fine to do; and if not you can always cry false advertisment if somthing did go wrong.

Old 06-18-2007, 04:28 PM
storm8732
Road Captain
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Mine runs just fine without doing any other mods or re-maps....as far as the computer learning.....mine ran rough for about 5 minutes of the initial test ride and then it smooted out and ran fine....seems like a learning curve took place to me...but what do I know...Im not a dealer.

Old 06-18-2007, 04:30 PM
kelticknotts
Cruiser

what pipes did you go with??? how is the sound opposed to stock??

Old 06-18-2007, 04:31 PM
3power
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Although new to the Sporty world, EFI has been on sportbikes for a while now. I don't think the HD mechanics are that keen on how to tune an EFI bike. Sure, you CAN run the pipes without remapping, but you will not be running with the optimal AF ratio. The bikes come extremely lean from the factory in order to meet emissions standards, so you most certainly will be running too lean if you open it up with some pipes. There may not be a "download" per se from HD, but a PC3 allows you to create a custom map just for yoursetup. If I hadEFI and were changing pipes, I would definitelybuya tuner.

Old 06-18-2007, 04:54 PM
storm8732
Road Captain
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I am running 07 SE slip ons....sound is great....no loss of low end...In fact it feels like it has more torque. Just seat of the pants...and the pipes are no more blue now than the were before the install.

Quick Reply: Official Statment For '07s & Slip-ons