Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Official Statment For '07s & Slip-ons

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 05:34 PM
pwnzilla
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official Statment For '07s & Slip-ons

storm, How do the new SE's sound compared to the stocks? I've heard on Sportsters they sound pretty good, louder but not obnoxious and deeper. But on the big twins they sound like hell. Can you give a detailed description of whats better and/or worse about them over stock?

I ask because I would like to stay with HD/Screamin-Eagle parts and not go aftermarket if I can help it.

Old 06-18-2007, 05:43 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: 3power

Although new to the Sporty world, EFI has been on sportbikes for a while now. I don't think the HD mechanics are that keen on how to tune an EFI bike.
Harley has been using EFI on some of their models for over 12 years now (since 1995), so hopefully they have learned a little about tuning fuel injection systems in that length of time.

But 2007 is the first year for EFI in the Sportsters, and needless to say, not all mechanics (HD Certified or not) have equal abilities when it comes to tuning anything, either EFI or carb'd.

Old 06-18-2007, 06:22 PM
quig
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mines an 06 and I love the V&H slipons.

Old 06-18-2007, 06:23 PM
thomasf59
Outstanding HDF Member

My pipes were blue before the slip on's, were swaped for the SEII's,I'de bet they all turn blue reguardless what pipes you have on the bike,thats the reason for the chrome shield around them.

Tom

Old 06-18-2007, 06:27 PM
principalman
Advanced

Hi,
Don't know if this helps, but I bought my 07' 1200C with SE slip ons already installed. I did ask about any adjustments that had taken place, and was told"only a download". The sound is REALLY awesome and the bike runs like something I never imagined. I test drove an electra standard and the 1200C-just no comparison for low end torque, and I don't do much riding where I would want the 6th gear.

Old 06-19-2007, 07:22 AM
red1beard
Intermediate

Just installed S.E.'s slip ons and air kit on fiance's 2007 1200 Roadster. Brought it to the dealer for the 1000 mile check up and reflash ECU. Service tech started by telling me that they did not have a lot of downloads available for the 07 models. That I may need to buy a racetuner. Bullcrap, I 'd take the parts off first. At my urging he looked up on his handy computer and wow, there it was a download for slip on mufflers and air kit. Bike runs great. Still not sure what the tech's motives were.
Gene

Old 06-19-2007, 08:31 AM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 78 Likes on 52 Posts

In the HD Enthusiast several issues ago HD said no remap is necessary with the addition of their slipons. If you also add the SE aircleaner you would need the remap.
Shouldn't be any different for other brands of slipons.
Either way you'll still be running lean.

Old 06-19-2007, 10:24 AM
pwnzilla
Cruiser

Does running lean harm the motor? Other than just potentially blueing the pipes.

The way I understand it, if you have higher flow pipes more air gets sucked in by the intake because the exhaust is leaving faster, causing a Air > Fuel mix than stock. By more air to fuel the gas combusts faster and hotter equaling more performance but at the cost of more heat. Is that about right?

Old 06-19-2007, 10:48 AM
mpaquette
Road Master
Received 52 Likes on 32 Posts

Hey quig, did you re-jet and add a new air cleaner along with your V&H slip-ons or did you just do the pipes?

Old 06-20-2007, 05:24 AM
Simon UK
Tourer

ORIGINAL: pwnzilla

Does running lean harm the motor? Other than just potentially blueing the pipes.
In severe cases it can cause a lot of damage. A few years ago I had an XL1000 Sportster that developed a leak where the inlet manifold joins thethe rear cylinder. This led toextra air being sucked in along with the fuel/air mixture from the carb, causing the rear cylinder to run very lean. It overheated so badly on a longish ride (after 60 miles UK motorway riding at 70 mph or so) that it burned a hole in the top of the rear piston, filling the sump with metal filings in the process.

Personally, I don't think I would take a chance running an engine too lean again in the future.

Quick Reply: Official Statment For '07s & Slip-ons