Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiring an on-off-on switch for turn signals

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 12:22 PM
Dudepants
Road Warrior
Received 596 Likes on 333 Posts
Default Wiring an on-off-on switch for turn signals

Howdy crew,

Need some help with wiring, specifically for turn signals. Here's the low down:

- 04 XL883
- Rear turns only (integrated LED turns on brake light)
- Looking to remove my control pods for simpler set up
- For turns and horn, I'm using a Posh Factory mini switch that's like this one:

So, the toggle switch has three positions (on, off, on) and three poles to connect wiring to. Looking at the diagram in my service manual:

Left turn signal
position 1 - orange/white wire - goes to head lamp, signals, 15A fuse to ignition switch
position 5 - white violet - goes to input in TSM/TSSM

right turn signal

position 1 - orange/white wire goes to head lamp, signals, 15A fuse to ignition switch
position 5 - white/brown - goes to input in TSM/TSSM

If I'm going to rewire using this three position switch, how should I do it? This stuff is over my head. wire each "power" (orange/white) wire to the left and right position on the switch? TSM wires to center pole?

Thanks for any help!

Old 01-21-2018, 01:10 PM
Dudepants
Road Warrior

Or, do I bypass the TSM entirely since I'm planning to operate these manually? What would happen if I do not connect to the TSM?

Oooorrrr.....Do I wire each wire together on either end of the pole switch? Meaning, the switch completes the circuit when moved to on, sending signal to indicator, turns and TSM? If that's the case, does the middle pole piece on the switch need to go to ground?

Last edited by Dudepants; 01-21-2018 at 01:20 PM.
Old 01-21-2018, 01:55 PM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Received 1,978 Likes on 1,348 Posts

It looks like you connect O/W (hot) to the center pole, and the W/V to left turn terminal, W/B to right on new switch. I think the TSM acts as a relay, so you are only sending a 'momentary' signal to activate the TSM. Remember, I believe there is a "momentary" switch (like your horn button) to turn each signal on, so you may not need constant voltage sent like a toggle on/off switch does. That's why stock you can tap it on and tap it off, or it times itself out. Perhaps your switch acts as a momentary switch, but looks like a toggle on/off style? Perhaps that setup is best for high/low lights and horn?

The pre-1991 handlebar switches were on/off, not momentary. You can always just use an old auto style turn signal module instead of the stock one if necessary.

John

Last edited by John Harper; 01-21-2018 at 02:16 PM.
Old 01-21-2018, 04:04 PM
Dudepants
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by John Harper
It looks like you connect O/W (hot) to the center pole, and the W/V to left turn terminal, W/B to right on new switch. I think the TSM acts as a relay, so you are only sending a 'momentary' signal to activate the TSM. Remember, I believe there is a "momentary" switch (like your horn button) to turn each signal on, so you may not need constant voltage sent like a toggle on/off switch does. That's why stock you can tap it on and tap it off, or it times itself out. Perhaps your switch acts as a momentary switch, but looks like a toggle on/off style? Perhaps that setup is best for high/low lights and horn?

The pre-1991 handlebar switches were on/off, not momentary. You can always just use an old auto style turn signal module instead of the stock one if necessary.

John
Hmm, thanks John, appreciate the guidance. Maybe I'll look for a 2 button momentary switch for the turns.

So based on what you wrote, do you think it would be dangerous to run a toggle that's on/off, operating it like a manual switch with the TSM? Could I short something out using it?

You're correct by the way, the toggle on this mini switch is on/off, not momentary like stock turn signals.

Old 01-21-2018, 05:27 PM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Received 1,978 Likes on 1,348 Posts

Originally Posted by Dudepants

So based on what you wrote, do you think it would be dangerous to run a toggle that's on/off, operating it like a manual switch with the TSM? Could I short something out using it?
I doubt it would work. I think it only works on momentary signal. It may just turn the signal on and no blinking, or, it may not even work.

You could always use an auto type TSM and use the on/off switches. Think how your car turn signal is basically on/off to the TSM. It just mechanically shuts off when you turn the steering wheel the other way.

John

Last edited by John Harper; 01-21-2018 at 05:29 PM.
Old 01-21-2018, 06:50 PM
Dudepants
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by John Harper
I doubt it would work. I think it only works on momentary signal. It may just turn the signal on and no blinking, or, it may not even work.

You could always use an auto type TSM and use the on/off switches. Think how your car turn signal is basically on/off to the TSM. It just mechanically shuts off when you turn the steering wheel the other way.

John
Gotcha, thanks again John. Hmm i think i’ll looks for some momentary switches for the turns. Maybe ill use this switch for horn and hi/lo beam