Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Floorboard kit

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2017 | 04:15 PM
harleyrider4300
|
Tourer
Veteran: Army
Default Floorboard kit

Does anyone, beside DK Custom,make a floorboard kit for sportster with fwd controls. I really want to put floorboards on my bike but have had a very unpleasant experience trying to order from DK Customs. I do not want to repeat that again
If anyone on the forum has experience with floorboards on their sporty please advise

Thank you

Old 12-26-2017 | 07:25 PM
emory70
Advanced

From what I've seen, the only other option is Led Sled. Theirs uses fwd controls to attach the front of the floorboard, with a proprietary bracket for the rear.

Im curious too, because I really want floorboards myself. But don't wanna spend $700 doing it

The following 2 users liked this post by emory70:
cacomly (12-27-2017), harleyrider4300 (12-27-2017)
Old 12-27-2017 | 12:58 AM
hscic
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by harleyrider4300
Does anyone, beside DK Custom,make a floorboard kit for sportster with fwd controls. I really want to put floorboards on my bike but have had a very unpleasant experience trying to order from DK Customs. I do not want to repeat that again
If anyone on the forum has experience with floorboards on their sporty please advise

Thank you
I am surprised to hear that you had issues with your order from DK. They pride themselves on providing the best customer service. Call Kevin and he will make things right. I used them so many times and they always made things right if the order was not correct or I had issues with the part.

I bought my floorboards from DK but I have mids so it was difficult to get the brake pedal far enough above the floorboard. I do not think you would have any issues with forwards.

I know there was another brand that made floorboards similar to DKs. Just google and you will probably find it. Sorry don't remember the brand.

The following users liked this post:
harleyrider4300 (12-27-2017)
Old 12-27-2017 | 05:37 AM
harleyrider4300
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by hscic
I am surprised to hear that you had issues with your order from DK. They pride themselves on providing the best customer service. Call Kevin and he will make things right. I used them so many times and they always made things right if the order was not correct or I had issues with the part.

I bought my floorboards from DK but I have mids so it was difficult to get the brake pedal far enough above the floorboard. I do not think you would have any issues with forwards.

I know there was another brand that made floorboards similar to DKs. Just google and you will probably find it. Sorry don't remember the brand.
My problem with DK customs is that I spoke to them first, then I ordered online. The order was sent to my street address in an incorrect city. I had a tremendous amount of frustration dealing with trying to get it straight. UPS would not talk to me as I was not the shipper and I would not open a UPS account. I typed in my address on the DK website. I did not make a mistake and type in a different city
I Was told by DK that it was not their website. The part that really frustrated me was when I asked them to call ups and have package returned, I was told that they needed to find out what went wrong first, and they had to check their system. I can understand wanting to check the system, however, first priority should have been getting the order straightened out with ups. Then find out why it happened.
I believe that websites that fill in cities when you type a zip code cause problems with customers that live in zip codes that have one or more cities assigned.
My personal thoughts is that their online order form changed the city that I typed in when I got down to the zip code. I was using a mobile device when ordering and scrolling down to fill in data I would not have seen the system change it. DK told me that they do not manually type in data for ups label, that it comes from their computer program, so third party typing error is ruled out.
All I know is that I am frustrated enough to not to want to deal with it again, and that is a shame cause I was going to order pro action shocks from them in a couple of months. I know they are nice people,but I live in an area that has multiple cities assigned to my zip code and I am not willing to go through that frustration again, so I have to find a new vendor

Old 12-27-2017 | 08:05 AM
Dudepants
Road Warrior

I was using a mobile device when ordering and scrolling down to fill in data I would not have seen the system change it.
Hey man, not trying to throw gas on the fire here but I've had this happen to me too when I've ordered something via a mobile device. I don't think it's DK's fault, just an entry error from using a mobile phone, etc. I ordered something from an online site that ended up in Wisconsin, ha! Took a while to get it sorted out. From now on I only use a desktop computer when ordering stuff, makes it easier to reconfirm, etc. Also, UPS is a pain to deal with, so I completely understand your frustration.

I don't have any skin in the game with DK, I think I've maybe bought one or two things from them but I wouldn't write them off just yet.

Sorry to hear about your bad experience.

Rob Robb (01-01-2018)
Old 12-27-2017 | 08:23 AM
cacomly
Road Master

Originally Posted by emory70
From what I've seen, the only other option is Led Sled. Theirs uses fwd controls to attach the front of the floorboard, with a proprietary bracket for the rear.

Im curious too, because I really want floorboards myself. But don't wanna spend $700 doing it
I've seen the Led Sled floor boards and the are likely going on my bike as part of my winter mods. I just like their setup better.

My problem with DK customs is that I spoke to them first, then I ordered online. The order was sent to my street address in an incorrect city. I had a tremendous amount of frustration dealing with trying to get it straight. UPS would not talk to me as I was not the shipper and I would not open a UPS account. I typed in my address on the DK website. I did not make a mistake and type in a different city
I Was told by DK that it was not their website. The part that really frustrated me was when I asked them to call ups and have package returned, I was told that they needed to find out what went wrong first, and they had to check their system. I can understand wanting to check the system, however, first priority should have been getting the order straightened out with ups. Then find out why it happened.
I believe that websites that fill in cities when you type a zip code cause problems with customers that live in zip codes that have one or more cities assigned.
My personal thoughts is that their online order form changed the city that I typed in when I got down to the zip code. I was using a mobile device when ordering and scrolling down to fill in data I would not have seen the system change it. DK told me that they do not manually type in data for ups label, that it comes from their computer program, so third party typing error is ruled out.
All I know is that I am frustrated enough to not to want to deal with it again, and that is a shame cause I was going to order pro action shocks from them in a couple of months. I know they are nice people,but I live in an area that has multiple cities assigned to my zip code and I am not willing to go through that frustration again, so I have to find a new vendor
I'd give them a call and consider giving them a second chance. I've interacted with them quite a bit and they seem more helpful than most. My opinion is the error you saw was the exception rather than the norm for them.

Old 12-27-2017 | 08:42 AM
hscic
Grand HDF Member

I understand your fustration...I am sure Kevin will respond to your concerns soon when he sees your tread. I can say personally that they have never left me hanging with an issue not resolved.

cacomly (12-27-2017)
Old 12-27-2017 | 10:37 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Thank you
Tim,

We are very sorry you have had an unpleasant experience.

Out #1 Priority, before we ever opened for business, was to provide Fast, Accurate Shipping to avoid the frustration that we ourselves experienced when ordering parts on the internet.

That is Still our #1 Priority. (See this LINK)

You wrote us an email Friday evening (after everyone was gone for Christmas Holiday) letting us know about your shipping problem.

The very first thing Dawn and I did Tuesday morning (Monday being Christmas) was look at your email and order. Our website software was Specifically designed to NOT auto-fill and I wanted to make sure that nothing had gone awry with the software.

So we replicated your order, making sure that our software did not auto-fill a city from a zip code. It did not do that, and I confirmed with Craig, our programmer that wrote our software, that there is no possible way for our website to auto-fill.

After all that we spoke with UPS to see if they could re-route the package to your location. They could not, it was already on its' way back to us.

We responded to your email request that we refund your payment, letting you know that as soon as we received the package back that we would do so.
(if we had made a mistake, we would refund you even before we received the package back)

We also spoke with you on the phone, and even after you started the conversation off with talk of involving an attorney, by the end of the call it seemed like you were calmed down and ok. In our attempt to be polite we did not directly tell you that the reason it was shipped to the address it was shipped to is because that is the address you gave us.

Whether you typed it in (doubtful) or your phone auto-filled it, it is the address that was on your screen when you approved and placed the order. It is one of the unfortunate unintended consequences of "smartphones", they do that quite a bit.

Our software, from order placement to the shipping label being printed, does Not auto-fill. We can only ship to the address we are given.

All that being said, we are very sorry that you did not receive your package, nor give us an opportunity to re-ship it to you, now that we have your correct address.

Floorboard alternatives-

As of this time there is no one else making Floorboards like ours for the Sportster or Dyna models.

Led Sled makes floorboards, but they are fixed in place (do not fold up), are not adjustable, and require an arm off the back of the floorboard to be installed on the underside of the bike.

We do not like that they don't fold up, that can get dangerous in a curve...and that is one of the reasons we designed and build the ones that we do.

VTwin also makes floorboards. They ARE adjustable and they do fold up. But they stick out 1.75" further from the bike than ours. Not only does this make them look sort of like dumbo's ears, it greatly reduces the lean angle.

Rob Robb (01-01-2018)
Old 12-27-2017 | 11:30 AM
harleyrider4300
|
Tourer
Default Thank you Kevin

k
Kevin
First thank you for responding. I only mentioned “Do I have to get an attorney involved” after I mistakenly thought the lady I was talking to said she couldn’t take care of it now. What she was telling me was that she had to find out what was wrong before she could fix it. Once I understood her statement I calmed down

i went to your website on my phone last night to see what would happen if I reordered the item. When I typed in my zip code 32177 the city was auto filled to Hastings ( that is not the city I live in) granted I was using a smart phone, but city did auto fill

I do appreciate your posting. I do believe you care about customer service. I believe your company is sincere. I was just so frustrated after sitting all Friday waiting on that stupid ups truck only to not have it show up and then ups not talking to me

Old 12-27-2017 | 02:04 PM
emory70
Advanced

I love reading stuff like this. So many companies don't understand the power of customer service.

Quick Reply: Floorboard kit