Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Waving is Annoying

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 08:12 PM
RACKnRAIL
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Waving is Annoying

ORIGINAL: MacAttack

I wave to anyone on two wheels... Harley, metric, scooter. I figure we need to be a band of brothers (and sisters) to protect ourselves. Ifyou don't wave back, I just figure no one taught you the tradition - there are so many new bikes out there.

- in my 34th year of riding
I do my best to wave, but scooters, I don't think so. [sm=forgetit.gif]

Old 06-15-2007, 11:21 PM
AwfHand
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is the funniest thing that I've ever read about the etiquette of waving. Enjoy!! (Don't take any of it personally, as it was written from a Honda rider's POV.)

Waving to other Riders
I love motorcycles, and I love riding. Like many of you, what first drew me to bikes was not just the experience of riding, but the feeling that I'd become part of a special community? a brotherhood, really. Nothing calms me more than a long ride down the interstate, waving to the members of my beloved clan. Except when I pass Harley guys. I hate Harley guys. Hate, hate, hate. When they pass me on the highway, you know what I do? I don't wave. With their little tassle handlebars and the studded luggage and the half-helmets? God, they drive me crazy. You know who else I hate? BMW guys. Oh, I do hate those guys. I don't wave at them, either. They think they're so great, sitting all upright, with their 180-degree German engines. God, I hate them. They're almost as bad as those old bastards on their touring motorcycles. You know what I call those bikes? "Two-wheeled couches!" Get it? Because they're so big. They drive around like they've got all day. Appreciate the scenery somewhere else, Grampa, and while you're at it, I'm not waving to you.

Ducati guys? I don't wave at them either. Why don't they spend a little more money on their bikes? "You can have it in any color you want, as long as it's red." Aren't you cool! Like they even know what a desmo-whatever engine is, anyway. Try finding the battery, you Italian-wannabe racers! I never, ever wave at those guys.
Suzuki guys aren't much better, which is why I never wave at them, either. They always have those stupid helmets sitting on top of their stupid heads, and God forbid they should wear any safety gear. They make me so mad. Sometimes they'll speed by and look over at me and you know what I do? I don't wave. I just keep on going. Please, don't get me started on Kawasaki guys. Ninjas? What are you, twelve years old? Team Green my ***. I never wave at Kawasaki guys.
I ride a Honda, and I'll only wave at Honda guys, but even then, I'll never wave at a guy in full leathers. Never, never, never. Yeah, like you're going to get your knee down on the New York Thruway. Nice crotch, by the way. Guys in full leathers will never get a wave from me, and by the way, neither will the guys in two-piece leathers. And I'll tell you who else I'm not waving at those guys with the helmets with the loud paintjobs. Four pounds of paint on a two pound helmet? like I'm going to wave back to that! I'll also never wave at someone with a mirrored visor. Or helmet stickers. Or racing gloves. Or hiking boots.
To me, motorcycling is a like a family, a close-knit brotherhood of people who ride Hondas, wear jeans and a leather jacket (not Vanson) with regular gloves and a solid-color helmet with a clear visor, no stickers, no racing gloves and regular boots (not Timberlands). And isn't that what really makes riding so special?
Wed, May 15, 2002; by Jim Armstrong.

Old 06-16-2007, 12:34 AM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: HD7585

How Stupid Is This Thread [8D]
If you feel that way, why are you commenting in the Sportster section of the forum....Please see raylow's thread about why non-sportster riders post so much in this section of the forum.

Old 06-16-2007, 01:00 AM
Dr.Cool
Banned

ORIGINAL: AwfHand

This is the funniest thing that I've ever read about the etiquette of waving. Enjoy!! (Don't take any of it personally, as it was written from a Honda rider's POV.)

Waving to other Riders
I love motorcycles, and I love riding. Like many of you, what first drew me to bikes was not just the experience of riding, but the feeling that I'd become part of a special community? a brotherhood, really. Nothing calms me more than a long ride down the interstate, waving to the members of my beloved clan. Except when I pass Harley guys. I hate Harley guys. Hate, hate, hate. When they pass me on the highway, you know what I do? I don't wave. With their little tassle handlebars and the studded luggage and the half-helmets? God, they drive me crazy. You know who else I hate? BMW guys. Oh, I do hate those guys. I don't wave at them, either. They think they're so great, sitting all upright, with their 180-degree German engines. God, I hate them. They're almost as bad as those old bastards on their touring motorcycles. You know what I call those bikes? "Two-wheeled couches!" Get it? Because they're so big. They drive around like they've got all day. Appreciate the scenery somewhere else, Grampa, and while you're at it, I'm not waving to you.

Ducati guys? I don't wave at them either. Why don't they spend a little more money on their bikes? "You can have it in any color you want, as long as it's red." Aren't you cool! Like they even know what a desmo-whatever engine is, anyway. Try finding the battery, you Italian-wannabe racers! I never, ever wave at those guys.
Suzuki guys aren't much better, which is why I never wave at them, either. They always have those stupid helmets sitting on top of their stupid heads, and God forbid they should wear any safety gear. They make me so mad. Sometimes they'll speed by and look over at me and you know what I do? I don't wave. I just keep on going. Please, don't get me started on Kawasaki guys. Ninjas? What are you, twelve years old? Team Green my ***. I never wave at Kawasaki guys.
I ride a Honda, and I'll only wave at Honda guys, but even then, I'll never wave at a guy in full leathers. Never, never, never. Yeah, like you're going to get your knee down on the New York Thruway. Nice crotch, by the way. Guys in full leathers will never get a wave from me, and by the way, neither will the guys in two-piece leathers. And I'll tell you who else I'm not waving at those guys with the helmets with the loud paintjobs. Four pounds of paint on a two pound helmet? like I'm going to wave back to that! I'll also never wave at someone with a mirrored visor. Or helmet stickers. Or racing gloves. Or hiking boots.
To me, motorcycling is a like a family, a close-knit brotherhood of people who ride Hondas, wear jeans and a leather jacket (not Vanson) with regular gloves and a solid-color helmet with a clear visor, no stickers, no racing gloves and regular boots (not Timberlands). And isn't that what really makes riding so special?
Wed, May 15, 2002; by Jim Armstrong.
That was great....

I wave, thats what I do. If someone waves at me I wave back. Funny thing is, pull up to a red light.... in the lane next to you another biker pulls up. Try saying, "Hi there ...great day to be out" Half of them wont even answer..... Then about a mile later, pass that same guy and give him the peace sign... he waves... wont talk to you or even acknowledge you said "hello" but he will wave to you....

Old 06-16-2007, 09:05 AM
JMSporty
Intermediate

When I took the MSC the instructor is a big time rider. He told us that waving to another biker is just a curtisy and encouraged us to do the same. Since I've been riding I always wave to other bikers, no matter what they're riding (except mopeds). 99% of the time they wave back. To me it's like a friendly 'brotherhood' so to speak.

Old 06-16-2007, 10:29 AM
quig
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I never noticed any snobs in my Mustang but it is 40 years old and the new ones tried to copy it. As for bikes I will wave for the hell of it.

Old 06-16-2007, 10:34 AM
TimC
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I can't believe that people can complain about others being friendly and calling someone an S.O.B. because they are waving is just not right.

Old 06-16-2007, 10:45 AM
Pacemaker
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I stopped waving. Every time Iwaved, I spill my beer. [sm=alcoholic.gif]

Old 06-17-2007, 01:22 AM
XL1200C/C
6th Gear

You Too Warrior? I thought I was the only one to think of that one. I was cured of it though, one well placed Bumble Bee took care of that habit. [sm=badidea.gif][sm=guilty.gif]

Old 06-17-2007, 09:51 AM
cnlwilliams
Intermediate

I've only been on my bike a short time and have at times felt put out by the wave. However, at the same time I have noticed that it isprimarily Harley riders that acknowledge me.

With that said, yesterday, while the Mrs. and I were enjoying the scenery in our small town, the rear tire decided to spit out a recent plug thus going flat quickly. Several cars passed by. Wanna take a guess on who were the only people to stop and ask if we needed help?

I'll wave every time now.

Quick Reply: Waving is Annoying