Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best slip ons for sportster

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2017, 10:48 AM
Sporty4ever
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has anyone measured the sound with a decibel meter? I have Cycle Shack slip ons on my 09 XL1200 Low and they put out 93 dB at idle. Although I like the sound, the volume is too much for rides longer than 15 minutes in my opinion so I wind up wearing Plugfones ear plugs and listen to music.

Old 11-04-2017, 08:18 PM
tennmoto
Cruiser
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Kromewerks 👍👍

Originally Posted by DrewBone
I decided on Khrome Werks 3" HP+ in tapered chrome, which mimick the factory mufflers in appearance (which I like) yet replace the stock bike's sewing machine exhast note with a deep rumble and nice tone. Their cost is a little higher than the usual suspects, but I don't mind paying a little more for an easy fit-up, great workmanship, a perfect finish, and that s-o-u-n-d. Shown below on my '09 Iron:

Link here: https://www.amazon.com/Khrome-Werks-.../dp/B006GFNZ82
they do sound great!

Old 11-05-2017, 01:33 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,212 Likes on 2,448 Posts

Originally Posted by Sporty4ever
Has anyone measured the sound with a decibel meter? I have Cycle Shack slip ons on my 09 XL1200 Low and they put out 93 dB at idle. Although I like the sound, the volume is too much for rides longer than 15 minutes in my opinion so I wind up wearing Plugfones ear plugs and listen to music.
Cycle Shacks are good slip-ons. You can lower the tone (which is easier on the ears) and increase the low and mid range torque with some Thunder Torque Inserts™.

Ran the Cycle Shacks with TTI's in my Sporty for over 3 years.

Kevin

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 11-06-2017, 02:01 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,212 Likes on 2,448 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Custom

I went to sleep last night thinking about your situation. I decided this weekend I will be be drilling a 5/16" hole in a stock slip-on and then try to install a TTI and see what happens.

Kevin
This weekend I drilled a 5/16" hole in a sporty factory slip-on.

I then proceeded to work the TTI into the hole. It did not go easily, and in the end it ended up distorting the hole, fatiguing the metal.

I tried to get some pics...did not turn out so well, but you can see that working the Stainless Steel stud into the hole did not end up well.

It has been over 5 years since we wrote the instructions saying to drill a 3/8" hole. This exercise reminded me why we wrote in the instructions to use a 3/8" hole.

Kevin

Old 11-06-2017, 07:38 PM
Bowhunter8607
Road Warrior
Received 417 Likes on 322 Posts

I then proceeded to work the TTI into the hole. It did not go easily, and in the end it ended up distorting the hole, fatiguing the metal.

I tried to get some pics...did not turn out so well, but you can see that working the Stainless Steel stud into the hole did not end up well.

It has been over 5 years since we wrote the instructions saying to drill a 3/8" hole. This exercise reminded me why we wrote in the instructions to use a 3/8" hole.

Kevin
Thank you for the info and time trying it out! I will make sure to use the 3/8" bit when I put TTI's in my straight shots this time around. The holes in your pictures look identical to the holes in the pictures I posted. This must have been the cause of my pipes cracking. Thanks again I greatly appreciate it! Guess I shoulda read the instructions more closely and followed them. You live and learn huh?

The following users liked this post:
DK Custom - ST (11-07-2017)
Old 11-12-2017, 10:51 PM
DrewBone
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

The sharp edges that result from drilling through metal material, unless broken (chamfered or rounded via a file or abrasive), will always create a starting point for cracks, even moreso when these holes are located in a high vibration environment such as a motorcycle exhaust system. Also, the addition of a fastener, acting as a heat sink, will effect how the base material reacts to the changes that are associated with repeated heating and cooling cycles (expansion & contraction), with the surrounding area reacting at different rates to these heating and cooling cycles, exasperated further by the material around the hole being compressed by a fastener.

Hi Kev!!

Last edited by DrewBone; 11-12-2017 at 10:52 PM.
Bowhunter8607 (11-15-2017)
Old 11-15-2017, 10:22 PM
Bowhunter8607
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by DrewBone
The sharp edges that result from drilling through metal material, unless broken (chamfered or rounded via a file or abrasive), will always create a starting point for cracks, even moreso when these holes are located in a high vibration environment such as a motorcycle exhaust system. Also, the addition of a fastener, acting as a heat sink, will effect how the base material reacts to the changes that are associated with repeated heating and cooling cycles (expansion & contraction), with the surrounding area reacting at different rates to these heating and cooling cycles, exasperated further by the material around the hole being compressed by a fastener.

Hi Kev!!
Makes sense. I'm still hesitant about installing TTI's in my current slip-on's. Having to drill out the existing baffle holes has me worried about them cracking in the same manner.

Last edited by Bowhunter8607; 11-15-2017 at 10:24 PM.
Old 01-18-2018, 12:44 PM
milwaukeebarn
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would recommend Vance and Hines twin slash, that are the once i have installed on my bike

Old 02-07-2018, 01:25 PM
Bowhunter8607
Road Warrior

Kevin
Decided to try again with the TTI's. Ordered a pair of the 158 TTI's to install in my straight shots with the baffles removed. I'll be sure to follow the instructions this time to hopefully avoid the previous results. I'll keep you posted on how it goes.

DK Custom - ST (02-07-2018)
Old 02-07-2018, 02:35 PM
DK Custom - ST
Platinum Sponsor
Received 508 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by Bowhunter8607
Decided to try again with the TTI's. Ordered a pair of the 158 TTI's to install in my straight shots with the baffles removed. I'll be sure to follow the instructions this time to hopefully avoid the previous results. I'll keep you posted on how it goes.
Glad you decided to try again!

Please do keep us posted.

Call: 662-252-8828
Text: 662-420-4891
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i339/DKCustom/Links/Sig1-8-14_zps9d8aff35.jpg

Quick Reply: Best slip ons for sportster