Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best slip ons for sportster

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2017, 08:12 PM
sorensentyler
Road Captain
Received 121 Likes on 68 Posts

If you're just doing slips ons go with python 3s. They sound mean! Vance and Hines makes them. Great slip ons, I had them on my 08 sporty and loved the sound. I am currently running Vance and Hines on my 02 sporty and am seriously considering pythons for my 99 dyna although that has screamin eagles currently and they sound pretty good.

Old 10-29-2017, 08:39 PM
sorensentyler
Road Captain
Received 121 Likes on 68 Posts

If you're just doing slips ons go with python 3s. They sound mean! Vance and Hines makes them. Great slip ons, I had them on my 08 sporty and loved the sound. I am currently running Vance and Hines on my 02 sporty and am seriously considering pythons for my 99 dyna although that has screamin eagles currently and they sound pretty good.

Old 10-30-2017, 12:19 AM
Wizardofaus
Road Warrior
Received 230 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by T^2
Never had a Shoei. My previous was an Arai. Every FF helmet I've owned had some amount of wind noise. Current helmet is a Nolan N87. Like it just as much as my last Arai, and it was less than half the price. I suspect it has some wind noise, but I wear ear plugs so I don't know how much nor does it bother me (can't hear it with the plugs in). I can tell you this, if you got a nice sounding exhaust, there is a good possibility that the FF will act as an echo chamber. I put the soft silicon ear plugs in once or twice where I didn't get a good seal. The echo chamber with the pipes was too much. Had to pull over and deal with it. Once the seal was established, all was good.

Compromises... Want good sounding pipes? Might need to make compromises/adjustments to accommodate them/make them livable. I like my V&H Side Shots. Not exactly the quietest set of pipes. I've adjusted to make them work (again ear plugs). The only downside - you can't really hear how your bike sounds while riding with the ear plugs in. Then again, you can't really hear how it really sounds even without ear plugs. Sound perception is different from the saddle. Only time I've heard my bike is when my mechanic has taken it for test rides. Damn if it didn't sound good. I don't really need to hear it while I ride. I know it's making some fine music even if I can't hear it.
I just might try ya suggestion with the rush’s and ear plugs , but at the same time I might invest in a set of TTI’S while I have the rush pipes on cos I don’t want to loose any of that nice V - Twin touque and when the packing settles in I want to be able to back the volume down abit.

My lids

Wiz out

Old 10-30-2017, 01:28 AM
hscic
Grand HDF Member
Received 547 Likes on 466 Posts

Originally Posted by T^2
Can't imagine not wearing earplugs. Even with whisper quiet exhaust they are still needed (at least in my book) due to wind noise (long term exposure = bad). Especially true when wearing a half helmet. Still true with most FF helmets. Trick is - is getting ear plugs that are comfortable. Ultra-Soft Silicon ear plugs from CVS work for me. I can wear them all day and not notice them. Just the right amount of attenuation.

Ear plugs certainly make nice sounding pipes/slip-ons doable. I'd skip going back to stock exhaust, put the Rush SO's back on, and put the ear plugs in. Problem solved.
I guess the brand and type of helmet determine how quiet it is....I use a Shoei J-Cruise helmet and don't have wind or noise issues. But I better start wearing ear plugs when using my half helmet....don't want to get to a point of no return.

Last edited by hscic; 10-30-2017 at 01:29 AM.
Old 10-30-2017, 08:59 AM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,180 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by Wizardofaus
I just might try ya suggestion with the rush’s and ear plugs , but at the same time I might invest in a set of TTI’S while I have the rush pipes on cos I don’t want to loose any of that nice V - Twin touque and when the packing settles in I want to be able to back the volume down abit.

My lids

Wiz out
You looked at the Rush slip-ons dyno chart on Hammer's website, no? Wouldn't consider the TTI's with the Rush slip-ons. Doubt there is room for improvement and it just might produce undesirable results. If you haven't looked at the dyno results...

Impressive result for a pair of slip-ons! Nice broad torque curve with no real push-backs anywhere. Equal or better to the Patriot up to 5600rpm, at which point the Patriot takes over. These outperform a lot of 2 into 1's, which is amazing for a set of slip-ons.
http://www.hammerperf.com/ttxlexhaust.shtml#rushslipons

They used Patriot Defender 2 into 1's (no longer available) as their standard/reference for comparison. The PD's are often stipulated as the best performing pipes for a Sporty. The Rush Slip-ons perform just as well. They have a nice power (linear) and torque curve (relatively flat). No apparent reversion issues etc. So when you say...

I don’t want to loose any of that nice V - Twin touque
I don't think you will be - running them just the way they are. Doubt you could improve on them. More likely you would make things worse by toying around.

Old 10-30-2017, 10:02 AM
DK Custom Products
Sponsor
Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Bowhunter8607
I installed them in my stock slip-ons about a month after purchasing the bike so they were brand new pipes. I think the stock slip-ons are pretty thin and the vibrations just wore at them and caused them to crack. I have thought about buying another set of TTI's for the Straight Shots but have hesitations due to thinking I would have to drill into them as well. If they are a direct fit into the existing threaded fastener hole then I may just have to buy another set because I do feel the noticeable reduction of torque without them. I just have questions on how they would thread into the hole?

I had trouble getting the TTI's in the holes I drilled because of the length of the TTI bolts not allowing the TTI's to be able to stand straight up inside the pipe while installing them.

Maybe part of the cause of the pipes cracking is, due to not being able to stand them up straight while installing them, I drilled holes that were a bit larger diameter than the TTI bolts to get them to fit in, so they had a little bit of wiggle room when not tight. This wiggle room may have caused them to slightly wiggle when tight due to the vibrations and eventually caused the pipes to crack at the holes. You may not be implying the install process had anything to do with the failure of the slip-ons but I am willing to bet that it had everything to do with it.

At first I tried to drill holes that the TTI bolts fit snugly in and when trying to install them I could not get them in the hole due to not having enough room to stand them up straight at 90* inside the pipe to align them perfectly to the holes and slide them into the more snug holes. Had I trimmed the bolt I probably could have fit them in the smaller, more snug holes but would not have had enough bolt sticking through the pipe to center the TTI's in the slip-ons. I had to slip them in the pipe at an angle while trying to finagle with them for a bit to get them to slide into the slightly larger holes I drilled. Any suggestions here? I wish I had pictures to illustrate what I am trying to describe but I don't so I hope you can picture what I am saying here.

Here's a pic of the broken pipe.
Thanks for that explanation.

For the Straight Shots, there is a single fastener that keeps the baffle in. After removing it you would need to enlarge the hole just a bit to allow the 5/16 thread of the tti to pass thru. They would install in the same manner as on your SE mufflers... Jam nut within the inner wall and lock nut on the outside.

If you would like to leave the baffles intact, you could go with the 118 and see excellent results...
http://www.dkcustomproducts.com/thun...dk-tti-118.htm

However, most prefer to remove the baffles for an even better over all result. This would require the larger 158 inserts...
http://www.dkcustomproducts.com/thun...dk-tti-158.htm

The great thing about installing the TTI in the straight shots is that the mod is completely reversible and the baffles can be re-installed if the need ever arises.

Feel free to give me a call if you have any questions at all.

Dwayne

Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 10-30-2017, 06:18 PM
Bowhunter8607
Road Warrior
Received 417 Likes on 322 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Custom Products
Thanks for that explanation.

For the Straight Shots, there is a single fastener that keeps the baffle in. After removing it you would need to enlarge the hole just a bit to allow the 5/16 thread of the tti to pass thru. They would install in the same manner as on your SE mufflers... Jam nut within the inner wall and lock nut on the outside.

If you would like to leave the baffles intact, you could go with the 118 and see excellent results...
http://www.dkcustomproducts.com/thun...dk-tti-118.htm

However, most prefer to remove the baffles for an even better over all result. This would require the larger 158 inserts...
http://www.dkcustomproducts.com/thun...dk-tti-158.htm

The great thing about installing the TTI in the straight shots is that the mod is completely reversible and the baffles can be re-installed if the need ever arises.

Feel free to give me a call if you have any questions at all.

Dwayne

I appreciate the info. If I decide to try again ill remove the baffles and go for it but I am still hesitant having to enlarge the existing hole to fit the TTI's due to fear of them cracking in the same way. Don't feel like risking it at this time and dealing with making the repairs perodically again. And the previous slip-on's were stock mufflers not SE's. Not sure if that's part of the reason why they cracked or not but they are pretty thin.

Last edited by Bowhunter8607; 10-30-2017 at 06:21 PM.
Old 10-31-2017, 10:45 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,212 Likes on 2,448 Posts

Been away on a long weekend...just saw the latest posts here.

A few thoughts-

Rush slip-ons will benefit significantly in low and mid range torque from use of TTI's. They will take a bit off the top end 4500 rpm+, but not as much as they add on the bottom and mid range. So unless you are drag racing, the TTI's will benefit.

Very rarely does the installation of TTI's result in a crack in the body. It does happen, but only once in every couple of thousand pipes. Usually it is when the hole is larger than it needs to be for the stud to fit thru.

The other instance (which happened to me) is when the pipes are old and have started to rust/deteriorate.

TTI's are a patented technology, that amazingly have shown to improve low and mid range torque in almost every exhaust system they've been installed in...not just motorcycles, but cars, trucks, go-carts, ATV's & boats.

Even expensive, full performance exhaust systems have shown significant gains in low and mid range torque with the use of the TTI's.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 10-31-2017, 06:12 PM
Bowhunter8607
Road Warrior
Received 417 Likes on 322 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Custom
Been away on a long weekend...just saw the latest posts here.

A few thoughts-
Very rarely does the installation of TTI's result in a crack in the body. It does happen, but only once in every couple of thousand pipes. Usually it is when the hole is larger than it needs to be for the stud to fit thru.
This is exactly what I thought happened but the reason the hole was larger than what it needed to be was because when I drilled the first, smaller hole, I could not get the TTI in due to it being too tall. I had to go in at approximately a 45* angle and could not get it in the hole due to not being able to stand it up straight at a 90* angle to align it perfectly to fit through the hole.

So the only solution was to either cut the stud shorter which would have not allowed me to be able to center the TTI's in the pipes, or drill a slightly larger hole which allowed me to finagle it in. Even with the larger hole I still had trouble getting it in due to the TTI not being able to stand straight up in the pipe to align with the hole perfectly.

I loved the performance with them in but I am very hesitant to enlarge the existing baffle fastener hole on the Straight Shot slip-on's and not being able to align a new set of TTI's perfectly to fit in the holes and having the same issues making them fit. How do u guys do it with a smaller hole if the TTI's can't stand straight up in the pipes to align them to the holes? I couldn't do it and don't see how to.

Last edited by Bowhunter8607; 10-31-2017 at 06:14 PM.
Old 11-01-2017, 01:02 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,212 Likes on 2,448 Posts

The stud is 5/16" and the hole should be 3/8". That is enough to get it worked into the hole, even up to a 45* angle.

It can be tight sometimes, but has always worked for me.

Kevin

Quick Reply: Best slip ons for sportster