Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Used Clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 12:29 AM
urfie66
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Used Clutch?

I have a 2006 1200 Low and the clutch is shot. I've read enough and felt enough to know that it's the usual problem. I've found a used clutch from a wrecked Sportster on eBay. So, my question is . . . can I get the used clutch assembly and soak it in fluid before I install it, or do I need to pull the plates, soak, and replace them, or do I just need to do a rebuild with fresh plates using the new(used) basket? TIA . . . .

Old 10-17-2017, 06:58 AM
cvaria
Supporter
Received 2,199 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Originally Posted by urfie66
I have a 2006 1200 Low and the clutch is shot. I've read enough and felt enough to know that it's the usual problem. I've found a used clutch from a wrecked Sportster on eBay. So, my question is . . . can I get the used clutch assembly and soak it in fluid before I install it, or do I need to pull the plates, soak, and replace them, or do I just need to do a rebuild with fresh plates using the new(used) basket? TIA . . . .

i wouldn't but, i'm not you.

no reason why you couldn't but, seems like a wasted effort even if it did work just fine. you'd be band-aiding a problem. throw a fresh clutch pack in instead of ebaying. there are some places where used is fine. sometimes budget may annex those places but, the clutch is not really one of those places because if it doesn't work out or last long, you'll be back in thee again, incurring costs (gaskets, fluids, time, emotional pain, ...etc). do it right the first time. you can re-use the stock clutch spring if you want.

overall it will cost more but, you'll have the peace of mind that it was done right.

plates only kits:
energy one
Amazon Amazon

barnett
Amazon Amazon

plate and spring:
energy one http://a.co/3CRs8WO

Last edited by cvaria; 10-17-2017 at 08:21 AM.
The following users liked this post:
cacomly (10-17-2017)
Old 10-17-2017, 09:42 AM
badmotorscooter80
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would just buy some new fibers as the factory steels are likely fine. Though you should measure them if you think you have "smoked" the clutch. I just did a clutch job on mine where I took out the notorious spring plate, and replaced it with 2 steels, and one extra fiber. I also put in a 15% stronger clutch spring from Energy One. I would just use standard replacement fibers as they are going to be the cheapest option. There is no reason standard fibers won't hold down anything under 80HP. I am almost convinced the reason the factory clutch wears out is because of the silly spring plate in the middle of the clutch pack. If you feel more comfortable with a complete solution then look no further than ordering the whole clutch pack and tool from Energy One.
Steels do not need soaked in oil, only the fibers, and 30 minutes is long enough to soak. There is no reason to replace your clutch basket, unless it is chewed up for some odd reason.

Old 10-17-2017, 12:57 PM
cacomly
Road Master
Received 590 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by badmotorscooter80
I would just buy some new fibers as the factory steels are likely fine. Though you should measure them if you think you have "smoked" the clutch. I just did a clutch job on mine where I took out the notorious spring plate, and replaced it with 2 steels, and one extra fiber. I also put in a 15% stronger clutch spring from Energy One. I would just use standard replacement fibers as they are going to be the cheapest option. There is no reason standard fibers won't hold down anything under 80HP. I am almost convinced the reason the factory clutch wears out is because of the silly spring plate in the middle of the clutch pack. If you feel more comfortable with a complete solution then look no further than ordering the whole clutch pack and tool from Energy One.
Steels do not need soaked in oil, only the fibers, and 30 minutes is long enough to soak. There is no reason to replace your clutch basket, unless it is chewed up for some odd reason.
Agreed, this is the cheapest solution

I would not go the route with a used clutch basket as the teeth on the primary chain sprocket could be worn causing a tight spot in the primary chain.

And the only time I would replace the basket other than it being chewed up by a failed spring plate is due to a tight spot in the primary chain. In that case, replace the basket, rotor, and chain at the same time. Speaking from experience, replacing one at a time may cause the new parts to wear funny resulting in their early replacement. The first time I replaced my primary it was around 125,000 miles so you likely have some time.