Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front shocks advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2017, 01:05 PM
adamk
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Front shocks advice

I think the suspension on my bike has sucked as long as I've had it. I didn't realize anything was "wrong" because I hadn't had a previously Harley to compare it to.

I recently learned that the bike has been lowered about 2". In order to improve the front suspension is was suggested to me to preload the springs with a spacer.

But when I removed the cap, the spring extended way beyond the end of the tube and was very difficult to get back in even without a spacer.

So... any suggestions for how I might try fixing this problem?

1) Add more fork oil?

2) Add heavier fork oil?

3) Just replace the fork oil? (It's almost certainly overdue)

4) Replace the "pipes" the spring sits in and add the 2" back to the front end.

Thanks for any advice!

Old 10-14-2017, 02:38 PM
lewk
Road Warrior
Received 227 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by adamk
... Thanks for any advice!
What's your weight and your inseam length? Do you ride 2-up often?

Old 10-15-2017, 11:38 AM
adamk
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lewk
What's your weight and your inseam length? Do you ride 2-up often?
I'm 165lbs. I don't have the inseam measurement handy, but I'm 5'8". And it's my primary transportation. I don't usually have passengers.

Old 10-15-2017, 01:49 PM
hscic
Grand HDF Member
Received 547 Likes on 466 Posts

Did you pull the entire fork off the bike? Are the fork tubes fully extended? Perhaps the previous owner used shorter fork tubes...I don't know.

I lowered my front with burly slammer kit and have spacers. I subsequently installed the Ricor Intiminator Fork Valves which improves rebound and smooths out the ride over bumps.

Also here is a thread I created to help others replace sliders or fork seals which may help to see what the issue may be....
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...placement.html

Last edited by hscic; 10-15-2017 at 02:18 PM.
Old 10-15-2017, 03:04 PM
bobber bill
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hscic
Did you pull the entire fork off the bike? Are the fork tubes fully extended? Perhaps the previous owner used shorter fork tubes...I don't know.

I lowered my front with burly slammer kit and have spacers. I subsequently installed the Ricor Intiminator Fork Valves which improves rebound and smooths out the ride over bumps.

Also here is a thread I created to help others replace sliders or fork seals which may help to see what the issue may be....
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...placement.html
How big of an improvement did those make?

Old 10-15-2017, 03:39 PM
hscic
Grand HDF Member
Received 547 Likes on 466 Posts

Originally Posted by bobber bill
How big of an improvement did those make?
Enough so I could feel the difference....going over bumps/pot holes with my front wheel used to be head jarring...not so now going over the same bumps/pot holes. Not a methodical measurement but just my butt-head assessment.

Old 10-28-2017, 11:34 PM
carleriksen
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was you bike still supported by the front wheel? If so, then yes your springs will pop way out and be hard to get back in.

Old 10-29-2017, 06:23 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Wink

Bought my SuperLow new and the suspension was pretty awful from new, in fact the forks were so bad I had the dealer strip and check them. From fully extended they sagged over 50% with me sitting on the bike, so I was losing a lot of travel before I moved an inch.

IMHO the stock springs are too soft, even for a mid-weight like me. I replaced the stock springs with Race Tech single-rate ones, matched to my weight, and shimmed them to give 30% sag and now have the correct fork travel. I also installed Emulators, but to be frank I don't rate them, although a pal has them in his XL1200R and is happy with his. So just be aware that either Emulators or Intiminators may be a disappointment, or the cherry on the cake!

My bike rides higher than stock and I also fitted longer replacement shocks, so it is now a Super-not-so-Low.

Old 10-30-2017, 01:12 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,193 Likes on 2,440 Posts

Originally Posted by adamk
I think the suspension on my bike has sucked as long as I've had it. I didn't realize anything was "wrong" because I hadn't had a previously Harley to compare it to.

I recently learned that the bike has been lowered about 2". In order to improve the front suspension is was suggested to me to preload the springs with a spacer.

But when I removed the cap, the spring extended way beyond the end of the tube and was very difficult to get back in even without a spacer.

So... any suggestions for how I might try fixing this problem?

1) Add more fork oil?

2) Add heavier fork oil?

3) Just replace the fork oil? (It's almost certainly overdue)

4) Replace the "pipes" the spring sits in and add the 2" back to the front end.

Thanks for any advice!
To get the best you can out of your lowered suspension, actually any suspension, the sag needs to be properly set. While doing that, clean out the forks and replace the fork oil.

There are many other things you can do, in addition to the above, that will improve your ride quality.

Check out the following Reports for ideas-

FRONT SUSPENSION REPORT

REAR SUSPENSION REPORT

Old 10-30-2017, 08:04 PM
Dsrieth
Cruiser
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I just installed a set of progressive mono tubes on my 09 sporty. Man o man they made quite a bit of difference. There is no more bucking like a bronco when pounding gears, brake dive is minimal with zero bottoming out, and did a mention it handles so much better now!
I’m thourougly impressed

Quick Reply: Front shocks advice