Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reserve then ran out

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 10:49 PM
quig
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Reserve then ran out

Actually the reserve is because of the petcock. There are 2 stand pipes on it normal is about 2 inches up and reserve will draw until the tank is almost empty. Differences in range are from differences in petcocks even stockers. I know this because I used to work for Pingel and assembled many of them.

Old 06-13-2007, 11:07 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: Dallastx

Randy. I'm sure that a 3.3 tank on reserve has gotta have more than 15 miles.
Yep, it should, which is why I said, that seems a bit low. And I said I've rode as far as 35 miles onreserve.

Please read the thread before making comments, with all of the forum posts you've accumulated in a short period of time, new members might think you know what you're talking about. It confuses new riders that are trying to figure out what is going on with their bike.

Old 06-13-2007, 11:18 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member

Hell...my bad. I didn't notice from the avitar the original post was from a Nightster rider. I assumed (and we all know what happens then) that he "switched" to reserve.

My most humble apologies to any offended.

Old 06-14-2007, 01:04 AM
CRASH
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was also told, for those of you WITH petcocks, LOL, that you can get more out of your reserve setting, by how far down you set the nut on your petcock. The theory being if the opening of the tube is closer to the bottom of the tank you'll be able to draw more fuel from the tank and get it closer to truly empty than if you set the tube higher, leaving more fuel inaccessible.

Old 06-14-2007, 10:38 AM
rob i
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

correct me if i'm wrong, but cws176 has an aftermarket tank. It may not be set up like a factory one and therefore may provide less of a reserve.

Old 06-14-2007, 12:54 PM
WVHogRider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: rob i

correct me if i'm wrong, but cws176 has an aftermarket tank. It may not be set up like a factory one and therefore may provide less of a reserve.
Yep, you're right. Looks like it's a Fatbob tank. Then it will depend on the petcock that was used, how high up in the tank the reserve tip sits, and actual reserve capacity.

Plus, What's your MPG before you hit reserve? You may be one those that are on the low side of the MPG which would cause you to run out sooner as well.

Old 06-14-2007, 02:48 PM
robjohnston
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

something you guys are forgetting to get alot of miles on reserve you have to fill up the tank to the rim, so i always fill mine up so i don't get stuck on the side of the road, i don't go past 20 miles on my reserve

Old 06-14-2007, 06:16 PM
cws176
Cruiser

Yea its a fatbob tank.. Bought the bike that way.. Guess ill just need to pay close attention to the trip odometer and the tank. So yeah I ran out of gas thank god i was like 200 feet from teh gas station I had to push it there though and I pulled my muscle in my upper back hurts like hell but today its much better...

Old 06-14-2007, 09:30 PM
TestFlyer
Tourer

Maybe it's a good idea to rely on RESERVE as little as possible. Unless you live and or travel in areas where fuel stops are 70+ miles between, why not refuel before you have to worry about switching to the reserve side of the valve?

Of course, this advicecoming from a guy who has a bad habit of switching the fuel valve off when parking for several days, forgets to turn the fuel back on and then has it quit from fuel exhaustion!!

Old 06-15-2007, 01:08 AM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: robjohnston

something you guys are forgetting to get alot of miles on reserve you have to fill up the tank to the rim, so i always fill mine up so i don't get stuck on the side of the road, i don't go past 20 miles on my reserve
That will have ZERO affect on how much gas is in the reserve part of the tank. Reserve is in the bottom of the tank, that part will be full regardless of if you fill the tank up to the very last drop or not.

It's called gravity. Geeze...

Quick Reply: Reserve then ran out