Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Progressive Shock Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2017, 09:52 PM
diacovoni
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Progressive Shock Upgrade

Shock upgrade (twice)!

Bike 2007 883 Low. Stock shocks were replaced last summer with new progressive fork springs and rear 11” 412’s. I am 5’-6” with a 29” inseam and only 155 lbs so keeping the 11” (low) shocks was important to me. I like have my feet on the ground at stop lights. The progressives were a “HUGE” improvement over stock, however MY *** was still getting bounced off the bike over bumps at highway speeds. This is an unsafe condition and I could be seriously injured if I could not maintain control of the bike. The problem is that the 11” Progressive 412 shocks only have 1.65” of travel. With appropriate sag this number reduces to maybe 1.15 inches of travel. This is why my *** is getting bounced off the bike.

Resolution: Purchased a set of (12”) Progressive 430’s with 2.51” of travel. What a HUGE difference in ride! The shocks actually absorb the bumps and pot holes in the road. After purchasing and installing I read online reviews that thought the 430’s were too “stiff”. My impression is that they feel 100% more stable than the 412’s and absorb bumps and pot holes as a good shock should.

So you may be asking, what about the 1” height difference!!
Resolution: LA Chopper 1” lower blocks!! Improved ride with the same 11” seat height. I am literally in heaven!!

Old 09-30-2017, 01:06 PM
Grey_Beard
Tourer
Received 98 Likes on 82 Posts

Good to hear! I'm very happy with my Progressive suspension upgrades.

Old 10-01-2017, 06:31 AM
FMB42
Cruiser
Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Progressive offers a great line of high quality suspension parts while also providing top-notch customer service. I needed a spring 'C' collar retainer that was missing from a pair of used 412 shocks I bought 'on the cheap' and this company came through after just 1 quick phone call (the correct part was shipped at a very fair price).

Old 10-01-2017, 07:07 AM
Andy from Sandy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,962 Likes on 2,535 Posts

I am guessing you went with the standard springs?
How soft are those 12" shocks and how much preload have you set?

I am similar in height and weight to you.

I am looking to change the suspension on my SuperLow but as I generally go 2-up would need the Heavy Springs on the 430s according to a few people I have asked.
My dilemma is if I then ride solo how compliant is those HD springs going to be after reducing the preload?
I would be looking to fit 11.5" shocks.

Last edited by Andy from Sandy; 10-01-2017 at 07:08 AM.
Old 10-02-2017, 10:41 AM
diacovoni
Novice

I purchased the 430's used on ebay. They are standard weight springs. After purchasing and before installing I was reading some reviews from riders that thought these springs were too stiff. Got me a little worried. Received them, installed them and have them set at the least pre-load. There didn't seem to be a lot of sag when my 5'-6" 155 frame sat on the bike. I was pleasantly surprised that the ride was perfectly smooth and the shock absorbed all bumps and pot holes that the previous 11" 412 would jar and almost throw me off the seat.

I also ride 2-up which was the other reason for wanting the upgrade. My gal would get jarred and bumped at the littlest bump in the road. She is ecstatic with the ride improvement. I have not adjusted the pre-load from the lowest setting and the bike does not bounce or rock as if the springs were too loose. The ride feels much more firm and stable, but does not feel stiff or jarring. I am 1000% pleased with this upgrade! Feels like a completely different bike.

Dan I

Old 10-02-2017, 10:44 AM
Souzafone
Advanced
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I opted for the heavy springs on the 412's for my custom. When 2 up I change the preload to the second setting, solo it's full soft. It only takes a minute and the spanner is in my tool kit. The HD springs a very stiff when new, but do get a little softer over time.

Old 10-02-2017, 12:38 PM
Andy from Sandy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,962 Likes on 2,535 Posts

This is so confusing between the 2 of you. Thanks for the replies though.

The emulsion shock on the 2017 SuperLow doesn't seem to do anything when I am riding solo and occasionally I have been bumped off the seat.

Old 10-02-2017, 05:48 PM
FMB42
Cruiser
Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Suspension tuning/upgrades can take quite a bit of time to dial in properly. Successful suspension tuning/upgrades are (of course) dependent on not just the suspension components, but the speed, load, and road conditions coupled with your particular riding style. As for being 'bumped off the seat, you should always be ready to use your legs as part of the suspension (which is just part of why I'm not a fan of forward controls). Those who have sufficient mid to high speed off-road experience know just how important this is.

Old 10-03-2017, 09:18 AM
83XLX
Road Warrior
Received 648 Likes on 232 Posts

Here's a tidbit of information - when you put lowering blocks on a shock, you move the lower shock mount rearward. That changes the angle and increases the swingarm leverage a little, which makes any given shock ride a little softer. So, if your springs are a bit too stiff, lowering blocks will soften them up as well as lowering the bike a little.

Old 10-03-2017, 10:29 AM
diacovoni
Novice

Andy from Sandy:
I am not sure why it is confusing. I replaced the stock 11" Harley shocks with 11" 412's. The ride was improved but with only 1.65" of spring travel they did not provide a comfortable ride and quite often my *** was bouncing off the seat when hitting pot holes or uneven cracks in the road. Very dangerous at highway speeds. Not to mention an uncomfortable ride for my passenger.

My solution was 12" 430's that have 2.51" of travel. Of course they are also twice the cost of the 412's and designed differently. The extra travel distance made all the difference in the world. In order to maintain my lower stance I added LA Chopper 1" lowering blocks. My feet now sit on the pavement as if I had 11" shocks with the ride comfort of a better 12" shock.

Quick Reply: Progressive Shock Upgrade