Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roadster license plate relocation options

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2017, 03:21 PM
Shag67
Road Master
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Roadster license plate relocation options

Hey guys, it's been a while. I was on this forum a couple of years ago riding a Street Bob. Nice bike but I sold it and have bounced around between a few other bikes in the meantime. I've been riding about 30 years so far. Currently have a little Yamaha XT-250 and a Yamaha FJR-1300. Trying to sell the FJR, and planning to pick up a Harley Roadster in a few days. I love the look of the bike and all of the reviews I've read about it. Really looking forward to owning one. The only thing about the bike that I really don't like is that license plate mount. I've done some searching on this forum for options to relocate it but haven't come up with much. Can anyone direct me to some options I might have for relocating the license plate up to the fender or somewhere so that it doesn't hang out there so far on the side? Vertical plates are not legal where I am (Holly Springs, NC) so that's not an option for me. I'd like something that could tuck up around the fender. I'd love to see some pictures of any of your Roadsters where you've relocated the plate and pointers to kits to do the relocation if possible. Thanks in advance!

Old 09-29-2017, 04:28 PM
Switchback12
Road Master
Received 125 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Shag67
Hey guys, it's been a while. I was on this forum a couple of years ago riding a Street Bob. Nice bike but I sold it and have bounced around between a few other bikes in the meantime. I've been riding about 30 years so far. Currently have a little Yamaha XT-250 and a Yamaha FJR-1300. Trying to sell the FJR, and planning to pick up a Harley Roadster in a few days. I love the look of the bike and all of the reviews I've read about it. Really looking forward to owning one. The only thing about the bike that I really don't like is that license plate mount. I've done some searching on this forum for options to relocate it but haven't come up with much. Can anyone direct me to some options I might have for relocating the license plate up to the fender or somewhere so that it doesn't hang out there so far on the side? Vertical plates are not legal where I am (Holly Springs, NC) so that's not an option for me. I'd like something that could tuck up around the fender. I'd love to see some pictures of any of your Roadsters where you've relocated the plate and pointers to kits to do the relocation if possible. Thanks in advance!
I don't have part numbers but you should be able to order parts from HD as European bikes come with the plate attached to a mount coming out from the fender. Check out Easy brackets, they have some for iron and street Bob

Last edited by Switchback12; 09-29-2017 at 04:36 PM.
Old 09-29-2017, 06:57 PM
Adk.IBO
Cruiser
Received 73 Likes on 35 Posts

The European parts move the license plate and has a license plate light. The Canadian model has a tail light and brake light also, that's the set up I put on mine. It's plug and play. I can dig out the part numbers over the weekend if you want me to, I kept all the receipts. Some dealers will say they can get the parts, others will say they can't, if you go to the parts counter with the part numbers and ask them to order them they will. That was my experience anyway. I can post pics of my set up also.

The following users liked this post:
Dheez (09-30-2017)
Old 10-01-2017, 08:16 PM
ocezam
Road Master
Received 97 Likes on 63 Posts

Vertical plates are not legal where I am (Holly Springs, NC) so that's not an option for me.
Vertical plates aren't legal here (Colorado) either. Yet I rode a custom hardtail with it from '02 to 06. Never a problem. $hit I still see guys riding them every week. Most cops aren't aware of crap like this. The few that are aware don't give a $hit. They'll add the charge on to someone that was acting like an a$$hole in the first place.

Last edited by ocezam; 10-01-2017 at 08:18 PM.
Old 10-02-2017, 05:10 AM
Shag67
Road Master

I might give this one a try. The ad says it will fit a '16 Roadster:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CNC-License-...tZoTQ4&vxp=mtr

Old 10-26-2017, 08:28 PM
ApexRider
Cruiser
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

did you get this worked out? I don't mind the side-mount too much, but if I could move it to the fender easily and tastefully, I will.

Old 10-27-2017, 05:13 AM
Shag67
Road Master

Originally Posted by ApexRider
did you get this worked out? I don't mind the side-mount too much, but if I could move it to the fender easily and tastefully, I will.
Not yet. I fabbed up a bracket to mount my plate on the fender long enough to take a couple of pictures of it and think about it, but for now have moved back the side-mount. I keep forgetting to flip it out and have been riding the bike almost every day with the plate folded in on the side and have not gotten stopped yet. Hmm... And I read about NC license plate laws online and can't find anywhere that says the plate has to face to the rear. It says the plate has to be attached to the rear of the vehicle and that it must be upright and horizontal and visible from 100 feet away. OK... it is, even when folded in. Still attached to the rear of the vehicle. It's upright. It's horizontal. And it's visible from 100 feet away. Hmm...

Old 10-27-2017, 09:43 AM
ApexRider
Cruiser
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Hmm...
dork! I accidentally left mine in the tucked position for a couple of days and didn't get hassled, and I work right by the state trooper station. They have more important things to worry about anyway.