Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did i get a good deal on my Nightster?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 12:58 AM
SteveInCA
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did i get a good deal on my Nightster?

Hey guys,
First time poster, long time browser. After spending a month with a motorcycle club in the bay area, shooting a show, i decided to get back to riding again. The president of a club in Oakland told me that Harley has good financing if you have good credit. I figured i'd check it out.I live in Los Angeles and my previous riding experience consists of a two stroke Aprilia RS250 as well as a CBR 600. I've wanted to buy a cruiser for a while, more specifically a Harley Davidson.

My girlfriend and I went to Harley of Glendale. The guys there are great, very friendly and more than happy to take time for a customer. I explained to my salesman, Mike, that I wanted an entry level cruiser so i could get used to the physics of cruiser bikes. I learned to ride on a dirt bike, a honda 80 as a kid. Later on, after college i got back into riding by purchasing a street bike.

I have a few questions i was hoping you all could help me with. First off, is the sportster, more specifically the Nighster a good starter bike in regards to Harley's? Is the bike similar to any street bike in terms of the physics of the bike? Turning etc?

I want to put some Thunderheader exhaust on it and wrap it in header wrap to give it more of a bobber look and to get rid of the chrome on the bike. Any thoughts on that?

Also, i put down $1,200 and i'm paying $259 a month for 48 months. My interest rate is 9.9 percent. Is this a good deal? The guys at the dealership wouldn't move on the price of the Nightster. It's my first Harley purchase..i'm hoping i did well. My bike came out of the box today. Olive green/black denim color combo. Looking forward to riding again. . Thanks in advance guys.

Old 06-13-2007, 01:05 AM
ecvjohn
Banned
Default RE: Did i get a good deal on my Nightster?

Ok I will recommend the Thunderheader because I have one and I am biased.
As for the financing you opened a can o' worms there. You'll get answers all over the place.
My opinion is if YOU are comfortable with YOUR purchase then it was a great deal.

Welcome to the family.

Old 06-13-2007, 01:08 AM
Zombie666
Intermediate

Harley is advertizing on there web site ...Stick it to the man o down and as low as 2.99%.....so 9.9 seems high i went thru my bank and got 4.9

Really all depends on your credit

Old 06-13-2007, 01:09 AM
Wolhar
Banned
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Yea can of worms, Radio add here says 2.9 for 36 months 4.9 for 48 months, $0 down, but that is a RIGHT Coast price

Old 06-13-2007, 01:10 AM
fishn4life
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats on your new bike! Good choice with the bike and the color [8D]

As far as the deal goes, I agree with ecvjohn. I came across this yesterday, dont know if it would make a difference with you or not.
http://www.harley-davidson.com/wcm/C...p;locale=en_US
Enjoy your bike!

Old 06-13-2007, 01:25 AM
TJ Willy
Tourer

If you paid MSRP then you did well. Financing, well, that depends. And is a can-O-worms.. lol..
but to shoot you straight, better could be had depending on your credit of course. Considering their rates can be higher, I would say you hit it on the higher side to about the middle of the road. By complete accident, I saw some finance papers laying out and those folks had 15.9%.. [:@]

My payment is right at $200 and my interest rate was a few points lower which seems to add up right. I paid MSRP but heard of some of the bigger metropolitan areas pushing the 1200N for as much as 1300 over MSRP. I was lured in by the 125 a month deal HD had on the site, but when I saw the fine print (read 6 YEARS, 3 @125 3 @3xx), I passed. I too went 48 months after I saw that. Interest rate was better there too!

For $25x I could have rode out on a street bob and almost did... but the Sportster really appeals to me and the 1200N was calling my name!! lol.

As for starter bike... etc, etc... The Sportster is a starter and a finisher bike. Don't be fooled.

There is another thread out there stating what folks got "thrown in" with their purchase. Post up in there with the freebies they gave you.

Old 06-13-2007, 01:26 AM
ecvjohn
Banned

I'm gonna venture a guess and say he didn't bite on the teaser rate financing and his conventional rate came back at 9.9, Eaglemark probably came in at 7.9 and the dealer bumped him 2% for the kickback.

9.9 is actually mid range as far as HD interest rates go, not everyone has pristine credit.

Not implying anything about the OPs credit, just making a statement.
I stand on my initial post.

Old 06-13-2007, 01:30 AM
TJ Willy
Tourer

ORIGINAL: ecvjohn

I'm gonna venture a guess and say he didn't bite on the teaser rate financing and his conventional rate came back at 9.9, Eaglemark probably came in at 7.9 and the dealer bumped him 2% for the kickback.

9.9 is actually mid range as far as HD interest rates go, not everyone has pristine credit.

Not implying anything about the OPs credit, just making a statement.
I stand on my initial post.

That makes total sense in retrospect because they hit me a point higher at first and I said I would check with my bank and they dropped it. haha. I did not think too much about it at the time.

The only thing I don't like about Eaglemark is the way you pay. By that I mean can't pay. You have to call them up to setup recurring payments etc... No online banking. It is interesting how you can pay biweekly like a mortgage. Or even weekly if your so inclined. I may go biweekly so I get that extra principle note at the end of 12 months.

Old 06-13-2007, 01:31 AM
SteveInCA
Cruiser

Thanks for the replies guys. I talked to my sales rep about the 2.99 financing. He told me that only top tier credit apps get it. I was second tier, by a few points. So i'm stuck with 9.99. I don't know, i can fork over 250 and change a month to ride the nightster, so i guess it's a good deal...as long as it puts a smile on my face everytime i fire it up, which i'm sure it will.

Old 06-13-2007, 01:32 AM
TJ Willy
Tourer

OH! and CONGRATS on the bike. You will love the 1200N. I have the same color combo and love it.

Welcome to the family from Texas.

Quick Reply: Did i get a good deal on my Nightster?