Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cafe Seat Vs. Solo Seat

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 06:47 PM
BeardTillDeath
Advanced
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Cafe Seat Vs. Solo Seat

Need some help/advice folks. Hopefully some of you out there have had some experiences with either seat.

Can't decide between a Biltwell Cafe Seat:
http://www.dragspecialties.com/produ...umber=08040489

Or a Drag Specialties Solo Seat:
http://www.dragspecialties.com/produ...umber=08040614

I have a 2000 XL883. Anyone have any experience with either seat? Comfort level? How does it look on the bike?
Thanks

Old 09-21-2017, 06:09 AM
Iron_Dokko
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe how you plan to ride is important to your decision. My understanding is...
If you ride leaned forward (like with clip-on handlebars, for example), use cafe seat. If you ride in an upright position, use solo. The seats' comfort padding are designed accordingly. But, hey...it's not the law. People do rock the cafe seat with mini apes, use clip-ons with solos...

Old 09-21-2017, 10:19 AM
scottylonebull
Road Master
Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts

they both look good, but it's a sportster, so if the seat looks good, it's going to hurt after 150 miles. nothing you can do.

Old 09-21-2017, 11:02 AM
Kevin91
Novice
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't have experience with either, but the rear bolster of the cafe seat could be helpful at speed, maybe take a little stress off the arms when the winds blasting you

Old 09-21-2017, 11:49 AM
BeardTillDeath
Advanced

I ride to work daily, 10 miles one way. I have mini-apes installed. Not worried about comfort for the long haul, I have to stop and fuel up at around 120 miles. I am more interested in the immidiate comfort. I don't want the seat to be hard (After its been broken in) during my 10-15 minute ride to work and home.
I like that little bumb on the cafe seat because it seems like it would give some tailbone support and keep my *** from sliding back and riding on the rear fender.
However (this is the dilemma) I like that the solo seat will allow a passenger seat for those occasions that my wife wants to go for a ride. The cafe seat doesn't appear to have much room for a passenger seat.
As of today, Im leaning more towards the solo seat, Im just hoping someone has had one and can tell me if it looks good and if its comfy.
I appreciate all the responses. Keep them coming if you have any experience with the seats.

Old 09-21-2017, 12:21 PM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,424 Likes on 2,765 Posts

Biltwell seat on my 1991, I love they way it looks and it feels OK for about 15 minutes, after that it numbs the nether regions in a way no other seat or motorcycle I have ever ridden does. If I had to go 120 miles on that bike with that seat or my rigid Flathead, the Flathead all day long. No discussion. But it looks dynamite on the bike.

Prior to that seat I had a $20 stock MoCo Hugger solo seat from the Bay, comfy enough seat for moderate length rides. Good luck.

The following users liked this post:
BeardTillDeath (09-21-2017)
Old 09-21-2017, 03:51 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Kevin91
I don't have experience with either, but the rear bolster of the cafe seat could be helpful at speed, maybe take a little stress off the arms when the winds blasting you
With clip-ons and his chin on the tank that shouldn't be too much of a problem!

Old 09-21-2017, 04:05 PM
J_MOSH
Road Warrior
Received 935 Likes on 500 Posts

I'd say your comfort on both of those will be about the same. Fun to blast around town but that's about it. That being said I rode a sporty with a similar seat for years got used to it and would do all day rides knowing my *** was gonna hurt but screw it my bike looks good. My vote is for the cafe one, that little rise in the back gives a more pleasing line from tank to fender. I assume you already have a suitable all be it big and goofy seat for when the wife joins you. Aren't gonna find a passenger seat that compliments the little solo deal that the wife is gonna want anything to do with.

Old 09-21-2017, 05:59 PM
scottylonebull
Road Master
Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts

don't be fooled, that little bump on the café seat wont support anything. your *** will just end up on top of it after hitting a few big bumps lol
I would say if you don't have apes, and are leaning forward, go with the biltwell solo this way you aren't leaning down so much, that seat puts you a little closer to the bars than a café seat will. the reason I say that is with the café seat, when your leaning that much forward your ***** get crushed with every bump. not so much with the biltwell solo. just stating the facts lol
ive done a lot of 250+ mile trips on my 48 with 6 different seats. ive learned the hard way.

The following users liked this post:
BeardTillDeath (09-21-2017)
Old 09-21-2017, 06:17 PM
BeardTillDeath
Advanced

Originally Posted by J_MOSH
I'd say your comfort on both of those will be about the same. Fun to blast around town but that's about it. That being said I rode a sporty with a similar seat for years got used to it and would do all day rides knowing my *** was gonna hurt but screw it my bike looks good. My vote is for the cafe one, that little rise in the back gives a more pleasing line from tank to fender. I assume you already have a suitable all be it big and goofy seat for when the wife joins you. Aren't gonna find a passenger seat that compliments the little solo deal that the wife is gonna want anything to do with.
I actually dont have a seat for the wife. I just recently got my hands on this 2000 XL883 and it had that ugly *** 2-Up mustang pillow seat and immediately got rid of it. I am borrowing a seat from a buddy of mine, and that seat is not friendly on the glutes. It looks great, but offers ZERO comfort.
The wife wont be riding with me much, if at all, but I would like the option of being able to throw on a passanger seat if I needed too.

Quick Reply: Cafe Seat Vs. Solo Seat