Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bobber or Cafe

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 04:22 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Gentlemanjim
Off to a great start. There's tons of cafe parts out there and a sportster is a great base I have an 883 R and HD should have evolved it. So its up to you to carry the tradition.

Gets some twin discs up front, look to Triumph Thruxton's for styling cues
This is claimed to be one of the original 52 off 1965 Thruxton Bonnevilles, for reference!

Old 09-25-2017, 06:57 AM
Gentlemanjim
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks nice to see and learn.

Old 09-25-2017, 08:55 AM
DBrevit
Advanced
Received 57 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by streetglide6
So I have decided a direction. I found a fairing/body kit from Airtech. I am leaning towards the HARLEY XR750 TT ROAD RACER clone. Roughly$1200 for the tank, fairing and seat pan. Need to get some other parts together as well. Shocks and clip on or clubman bars and an exhaust. Any thoughts?
The tank is not legal for use on the road, you know that right.

Old 09-25-2017, 11:19 AM
Ratwerke
Road Captain
Received 143 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by DBrevit
The tank is not legal for use on the road, you know that right.
^^^THIS^^^
After seeing what I saw this weekend. I could understand why fiberglass tanks shouldn't be on the road. See pic below
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...l#post16671049

Last edited by Ratwerke; 09-25-2017 at 11:21 AM.
Old 09-26-2017, 01:07 PM
DBrevit
Advanced

To the OP you could contact Legendary about a none fiberglass tank, maybe Storz .

Old 09-26-2017, 01:52 PM
Gentlemanjim
Novice

There are all kinds of Café tanks. Just search on eBay some nice aluminum available. I used Late 70's early 80's XS750, XS850, Xs100 tanks, they look perfect and there are still some nice ones available.

Old 09-26-2017, 02:08 PM
DBrevit
Advanced

There are all kinds of Café tanks. Just search on eBay some nice aluminum available. I used Late 70's early 80's XS750, XS850, Xs100 tanks, they look perfect and there are still some nice ones available.
Gentlemanjim,
The OP on this thread has not started his build yet but he said he was looking at doing an XR-750 TT road racer clone, not sure the XS tanks will work without some heavy mods.
Aluminum tanks on Ebay are a crap shoot, stay away from anything made in India.

Old 09-26-2017, 02:12 PM
Gentlemanjim
Novice

Here's a couple examples that I did.

Attached Thumbnails Bobber or Cafe-imag1172.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old 09-26-2017, 03:17 PM
Gentlemanjim
Novice

DBrevit,

Do you think any tank would be a direct bolt on? India? Like it or not they produce some amazing technology like Land Rover and Jaguar ring any bells not to mention Royal Enfield. This is a build project I've done dozens and they are all challenging. You seem to be talking too much like a Harley guy and not much like a motorcyclist.

Let's be friends and support our fellow motorcyclists. It's all about having fun. I'm a recent H-D Guy and proud of it, but I love all brands and mostly vintage iron. No doubt we all can be duped by fleabay frauds. Buyer beware, but they guarantee satisfaction. Chose wisely

Old 09-26-2017, 03:56 PM
DBrevit
Advanced

DBrevit,

Do you think any tank would be a direct bolt on? India? Like it or not they produce some amazing technology like Land Rover and Jaguar ring any bells not to mention Royal Enfield. This is a build project I've done dozens and they are all challenging. You seem to be talking too much like a Harley guy and not much like a motorcyclist.

Let's be friends and support our fellow motorcyclists. It's all about having fun. I'm a recent H-D Guy and proud of it, but I love all brands and mostly vintage iron. No doubt we all can be duped by fleabay frauds. Buyer beware, but they guarantee satisfaction. Chose wisely
I don't think anything other than factory would be bolt on, we are not talking about Land Rover or Jaguar, many of the tanks and seat bases from India are sub standard and cost the buyers a lot of money to fix.

The original poster had referenced a kit for an XR 750 TT road racer ( close to bolt on), I was pointing out that the tank was glass and not road legal, also trying to point him to a known quality tank maker for the type and style he was wanting to build.

What part of anything I have posted is not supportive ?

As far as talking like a Harley guy, this is a Harley forum.

I have been riding for 45 years, including the second go around of Cafe Racers/Rockers, born in the U.S. but grew up in the U.K. rode and built cafe racers, owned 650 Bonnie, Arial Hunter, BSA M21, BSA Rocket III, Norton Dominator and HRD Vincent Black Shadow, did the runs to Brighton, South End etc, etc, not a motorcyclist . Not to mention rode the Paris Dakar route on a KLR 650, London to Rome.

Back home in the States 1986, just started building bikes again. On my project right now, yes it's a Harley, lace 19" x 2.50 rim to factory hub, made rear aluminum fender, made seat base, seat hoop sub frame, mod Girling shocks to fit Harley etc, etc, I know what it takes to build a bike, the original poster may not, if I can help him not make an expensive mistake, I will post my opinion.

Last edited by DBrevit; 09-26-2017 at 04:03 PM.

Quick Reply: Bobber or Cafe