Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

riding without a helmet

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 03:30 PM
banjoez
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: riding without a helmet

Ever since Indian Larry fell off his bike and died from massive head injuries doing a low speed stunt I wear mine.....and I live in a state that does not require it. Here's a guy who was finally getting the fame and recognition he deserved and look what happens. I figure if a guy with his riding experience can get killed that easy not wearing one than I'll put mine on and hope it helps in at least a low speed crash.

Old 06-12-2007, 03:37 PM
bs883
Cruiser

I'd have to agree. Personally, I always wear a helmet. Been wearing one since I was a kid, so I'm used to it. In Kentucky, since there's no helmet law, most people don't wear them. That's completely their choice. I do think that new riders should wear them for a little while though. At least until they get the hang of things.

Old 06-12-2007, 03:41 PM
cmas06
Road Captain

here in Va we have no choice and when we went to MB bike week wife and i said we would wear one. But after one ride with no helmet we were all over it. loved it

Old 06-12-2007, 04:14 PM
sgt joe
Road Captain

To each his own......Thats what i love about america.....And states rights to make their own laws [ not enough of that these days ] I choose to wear a helmet.....Mainly because of OBJECTS that can be sent flying by vehicles infront of me.....Like a retread !!!! When i see someone not wearing a helmet thats just fine with me, i think no less of them ! and hope they enjoy their ride also.....I do not like helmet laws, seatbelt laws, bicycle helmet laws etc.....Goverment has no bizz in ones safety.....I wear seatbelts always....for common sense reasons, NOT because some goverment beaurocrat says i need to !

Old 06-12-2007, 04:18 PM
3power
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: OldFenderGuy

'never ending helmet debate'
It's not a debate at all, really. Helmeted riders just want everyone to be safe, and no one can argue that you're safer wearing one. Helmetless fans always turn it into a political argument, not a safety one, by bringing up freedom of choice. All of us support freedom of choice. Fact is, if better choices were made all the time, then the gov't wouldn't have been involved in the first place - because now they unfortunately defend their position as working for the good of "public safety" rather than individual safety.

Old 06-13-2007, 12:16 AM
Drifterjs
Intermediate

Started riding in California before the Helmet Law. Now ride in California with the Helmet Law. Wish I had a choice to wear one or not. Some rides just feel better without a helmet. They said medical bills for uninsured motorcyclist involved in accidents with head injuries were very high. They (insert adjective to describe parties pushing for helmet law) said the tax payers shouldn't carry the burden to pay the hospital bills. Oh yah, I'm so insured I am worth more dead than alive! Go figure!

Drifter Out

Old 06-13-2007, 01:54 AM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

[/quote]

Helmeted riders just want everyone to be safe, and no one can argue that you're safer wearing one.
[/quote]

Everyday thinking would say you can't make that argument, but the statistics tell a different story. Statistically, you can make a strong argument that it is no more safe to ride with a helmet.

It doesn't matter, if I had a choice I would most likely wear a helmet about 75% of the time. Just let the rider make the decision.

Old 06-13-2007, 02:11 AM
ray1970
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't mean to stray off subject but I just wanted to say how much I like Drifterjs picture- the bike inside the house- that's a classic- I love it!

Old 06-13-2007, 11:38 AM
mrgolfpro
1st Gear

I never ride without one, my choice! I figure I better protect what few active brain cells I have leftI also beleive it should be up to the individual to decide, not some do good goverment official[:'(]

Rick

Old 06-13-2007, 12:21 PM
3power
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: SportyPig

Everyday thinking would say you can't make that argument, but the statistics tell a different story. Statistically, you can make a strong argument that it is no more safe to ride with a helmet.

It doesn't matter, if I had a choice I would most likely wear a helmet about 75% of the time. Just let the rider make the decision.
I've seen these posts around here about the stats that show that riding without a helmet is safer. Can you post a link - I'd like to see these stats. The only stats I've found show that fatalities more than doubled where the laws were repealed --> http://healthresearch.georgetown.edu...helmetlaws.htm

Quick Reply: riding without a helmet