Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mini apes, chiseled, lo? Any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2017, 01:47 PM
Old Iron Man
Tourer
Received 101 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Mini apes, chiseled, lo? Any ideas?

I know, I know, this subject has been over-threaded. I just can't decide on this final mod choice for my 1200 Iron. I've done every other mod I wanted, but this. I've always been happy with the stock bars. Then I put on HD highway pegs, which I really like, and a Mustang Day Tripper seat w/removable backrest, which I also really like. So now when cruising on the highway, using the pegs and leaning back a bit to use the backrest, the reach is a bit too far. I feel like I'm pulling the grips instead of just holding them. Don't like the riser idea, and I already played with the bar position. Still not perfect. This got me thinking about new bars, which led to looking more closely at chizled style bars, and now I think they're so cool, and want them, but I'd like to be sure it will also be comfortable, especially on the highway in the position I described. So I'm going back to the well of experience on this forum that has served me so well on all decisions HD. Any thoughts on this are appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails Mini apes, chiseled, lo? Any ideas?-img_4552.jpg   Mini apes, chiseled, lo? Any ideas?-img_4549.jpg   Mini apes, chiseled, lo? Any ideas?-img_4550.jpg  
Old 08-26-2017, 02:18 PM
jorgeecolina
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm on the same boat with my 48. The stock handlebar is not bad but I want something more "custom". I really like the LA Choppers 1" Narrow Z bars 4" tall but I don't want to deal with the wiring stuff for OEM controls.

The ones showed in this short video:

The following users liked this post:
Old Iron Man (08-26-2017)
Old 08-26-2017, 02:36 PM
chad.kirk1
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm glad you posted this. I was just like you. I was never into the apes but I eventually caved for comfort and feel in love! I personally went with mini apes to try them out since I was not convinced of the look. I will say I love the look and they are much more comfortable than my stock bars. I went with Harley's 8.33 inch chizeled Zbars. (I'll attach pics). These bars are for the sportster frame so they fit it so well! A HUGE plus for these bars, you do not have to change out your throttle or cable clutch lines to install these. You will have to get a longer brake line (I'll send you the link to the one I got if you go this route). The pics I'll attach are taken before I wired my wires internally but now I have them internally wired inside the bars. I will say these bars are pretty narrow but I personally do not mind that. I do wish they were 1 or maybe 2 inches taller but again, you would be looking at replacing all the lines to get that extra height. Only other some what bad I can come up with from these bars, you lose some of your mobility with apes vs stock bars. I feel like (only with highway speeds) I cannot maneuver as well with these bars vs my stock bars. But this is not a big enough issue for me to care. I still can move around really easy. Making U-turns is actually easier with these bars. Overall, I love these bars and I will not take them off. I did spend the $300 at harley for these vs picking ones up with similar specs for much cheaper. I did this because no one else has bars with these specs and I was not will to budge because I wanted the look of the Zbars. Plus going any higher than a 10 inch rise will prob require you to replace all your lines.

Old Iron Man (08-26-2017)
Old 08-26-2017, 09:05 PM
dæmon
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jorgeecolina
I'm on the same boat with my 48. The stock handlebar is not bad but I want something more "custom". I really like the LA Choppers 1" Narrow Z bars 4" tall but I don't want to deal with the wiring stuff for OEM controls.
im looking for someone to trade my bars with over winter. Already internally wired so it would be a pretty simple plug and play swap. I want the stock 48 bars for my lick's 12" fatty z-bars with burly extension kit and HD nostalgia grips. If anyone is interested let me know.

Here's what I have:
Lick's 12" Z bars ($140)
Burly cable/wire extension kit ($200)
----wiring, clutch/throttle cable, brake line
----electrical wires ran internally
HD Nostalgic grips ($70)

Last edited by dæmon; 08-26-2017 at 09:12 PM. Reason: Added pic
Old 08-26-2017, 10:58 PM
Old Iron Man
Tourer

Originally Posted by jorgeecolina

The ones showed in this short video: https://youtu.be/FGQEnSBo-SM

Thanks man, you made this harder. That video is so cool, it made me want those LA Choppers Z-bars!

Old 08-27-2017, 12:19 AM
Old Iron Man
Tourer

Originally Posted by chad.kirk1
I'm glad you posted this. I was just like you. I was never into the apes but I eventually caved for comfort and feel in love! I personally went with mini apes to try them out since I was not convinced of the look. I will say I love the look and they are much more comfortable than my stock bars. I went with Harley's 8.33 inch chizeled Zbars. (I'll attach pics). These bars are for the sportster frame so they fit it so well! A HUGE plus for these bars, you do not have to change out your throttle or cable clutch lines to install these. You will have to get a longer brake line (I'll send you the link to the one I got if you go this route). The pics I'll attach are taken before I wired my wires internally but now I have them internally wired inside the bars. I will say these bars are pretty narrow but I personally do not mind that. I do wish they were 1 or maybe 2 inches taller but again, you would be looking at replacing all the lines to get that extra height. Only other some what bad I can come up with from these bars, you lose some of your mobility with apes vs stock bars. I feel like (only with highway speeds) I cannot maneuver as well with these bars vs my stock bars. But this is not a big enough issue for me to care. I still can move around really easy. Making U-turns is actually easier with these bars. Overall, I love these bars and I will not take them off. I did spend the $300 at harley for these vs picking ones up with similar specs for much cheaper. I did this because no one else has bars with these specs and I was not will to budge because I wanted the look of the Zbars. Plus going any higher than a 10 inch rise will prob require you to replace all your lines.

Thanks, I feel the same way about the HD product. I am basically narrowing down to the 10" mini apes chizled, or the chizled lo. I am 5'7" with not the longest arms, so I am thinking the Chizled lo might be better for me? I am looking to bring my hands up a few inches and back about an inch from stock.

Old 08-27-2017, 01:06 AM
chad.kirk1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Old Iron Man
Thanks, I feel the same way about the HD product. I am basically narrowing down to the 10" mini apes chizled, or the chizled lo. I am 5'7" with not the longest arms, so I am thinking the Chizled lo might be better for me? I am looking to bring my hands up a few inches and back about an inch from stock.

if youre only wanting minimum adjustments then I agree with going with the lo. I'm 5'6" so I get it. The bars I have sit about an inch (maybe 2 at most) lower than my shoulders if that helps any. They also have a 4 inch pull back.

Old 08-27-2017, 02:15 AM
Old Iron Man
Tourer

I really like the look of your bars chad.kirk1. My only apprehension is the part you said about highway riding. Besides the look of them, highway cruising is one of my main reasons for wanting mini apes. I installed some highway pegs, and then a Mustang Wide tripper seat with backrest for longer rides. They are almost perfect on the highway, except that when I lean back and put my feet up on the pegs, it's more of a reach to the grips. I was hoping the mini apes would be more comfortable with not only the higher placement, but also some more pullback. I want it all. I want to throw it around town and ride like a cruiser on the highway. Almost there.

Old 08-27-2017, 07:18 AM
chad.kirk1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Old Iron Man
I really like the look of your bars chad.kirk1. My only apprehension is the part you said about highway riding. Besides the look of them, highway cruising is one of my main reasons for wanting mini apes. I installed some highway pegs, and then a Mustang Wide tripper seat with backrest for longer rides. They are almost perfect on the highway, except that when I lean back and put my feet up on the pegs, it's more of a reach to the grips. I was hoping the mini apes would be more comfortable with not only the higher placement, but also some more pullback. I want it all. I want to throw it around town and ride like a cruiser on the highway. Almost there.
For sure. The first time I got on the highway I remember going for a lane switch (I was probably doing 75 mph) and when I did my typical lean, it felt as if my bike didn't want to move over. Idk if it's because these bars are more narrow, sits higher, or sits farther back, maybe it's the combination of all 3 but it's definitely a difference. I will say now, I've adjusted and I no longer feel this way on the highway. My body has naturally adjusted to the difference and adapted. I can switch lanes with no issues now that I'm use to them. Ultimately, I will still say I lost some ajility but not enough to care about it. As for long trips, I ride distance once a month on my bike (3 hours one way) and I'll say It feels way more comfortable with these bars vs stock bars. Helped my back to become more straight.

Old Iron Man (08-27-2017)
Old 09-02-2017, 08:02 PM
Old Iron Man
Tourer

One more question: When you say they have a 4" pull back, how does that compare with Iron stock bars pull back? How much more is it, if any?

Quick Reply: Mini apes, chiseled, lo? Any ideas?