Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice before I begin the charging system replace

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2017, 04:49 PM
cmeverett
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Advice before I begin the charging system replace

Hello all.

After purchasing my first Harley a few weeks ago (94 xlh with a 1200 kit) I think the stator and regulator are junk.

I tested the components this afternoon with a meter and it looks as if the stator is toast. I'll replace the regulator while I'm at it. I plan on purchasing the parts through Cycle Electric as they seem to have the best reputation on the board.

I'll replace the primary gasket and the primary chain tensioner.

Any thing else I may be missing? Additionally is there anything else I should be looking for that would possibly mimic the symptoms of a done stator?

Thanks in advance
Chris

Old 08-24-2017, 03:53 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Wink

Chris,

Before you buy anything, we have a couple of Stickies in the Tech Electrical section, which will guide you through testing your charging system. They should help you identify the guilty party! The battery is an integral part of the system so include that in your tests.

Old 08-24-2017, 08:06 AM
FMB42
Cruiser
Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Definitely follow grbrown's sound advice. And I agree that you should change the regulator/rectifier at the same time (even if it tests as being good). I've seen cascading charging system failures that were traced down to being caused by a bad original stator burning out the regulator which in turn would blow the rectifier which would then burn out a newly replaced stator. The only solution to such cascading or cyclic failures is to replace all 3 parts at once (but first always check the wiring and connectors for shorts, opens, and excessive resistance). All keep in mind that charging system and other electric/electronic components can test as being 'OK' when in fact they are bad (especially once they reach operating temps).

Old 08-24-2017, 11:03 AM
maverick31210
Road Captain
Received 140 Likes on 97 Posts

I did this a while back when my stator ****. It grounded to the case and wasn't charging properly.

If you don't have an impact, stuff rope into the front cylinder to keep the motor from turning while you break the crank and clutch nuts loose. Clutch is reverse threaded. Tie some rope to the plug on the stator so you can pull through the back of the case.

It's not a bad job at all though, did this **** on the curb.

Old 08-24-2017, 03:26 PM
TStephen
Road Warrior
Received 299 Likes on 258 Posts

I used a couple pieces of old leather belt on the sprockets (nothing against the rope idea, I just hate the thought of stuffing anything in my cylinder).

Reverse the way you put it in there when you go to loosen the clutch main shaft nut, since it is reverse threaded.

Old 08-24-2017, 03:30 PM
maverick31210
Road Captain
Received 140 Likes on 97 Posts

^^^That's a good idea too.

The following users liked this post:
TStephen (08-24-2017)
Old 08-24-2017, 04:32 PM
cmeverett
6th Gear

Thanks all, much appreciated.

I believe I've been able to determine, through testing the charging system per the instructions in the service manual, that my problem is in fact the stator. I've got a brand new battery in her and all tests point to a bad stator.

I'll be sure to post an update once I've done the work. I hope to get to it Saturday.

Old 08-26-2017, 09:53 AM
cmeverett
6th Gear

Well....this got ugly.

I took off the primary cover and was immediately met with the bolt that is supposed to be tightened down on the main shaft holding the rotor and stator on. Whoever was in here last never loc tightened it OR the bolt holding the clutch pack on. The clutch is fine, the bolt (fortunately was tight).

The magnets in the rotor are junk, maybe one good one out the bunch. And it looks as if the main shaft and it's bolt are a tad chewed.

Thoughts? Obviously I'll need to pick up new magnets, but as far as the shaft and bolt?

Thanks

Old 08-26-2017, 11:03 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by cmeverett
Well....this got ugly.

I took off the primary cover and was immediately met with the bolt that is supposed to be tightened down on the main shaft holding the rotor and stator on. Whoever was in here last never loc tightened it OR the bolt holding the clutch pack on. The clutch is fine, the bolt (fortunately was tight).

The magnets in the rotor are junk, maybe one good one out the bunch. And it looks as if the main shaft and it's bolt are a tad chewed.

Thoughts? Obviously I'll need to pick up new magnets, but as far as the shaft and bolt?

Thanks
Bolts? - I'm assuming you mean nuts.
I would recommend that you buy a new rotor which comes with the magnets. Re-gluing magnets often doesn't work out so well.

Old 08-26-2017, 02:41 PM
cmeverett
6th Gear

Originally Posted by cHarley
Bolts? - I'm assuming you mean nuts.
I would recommend that you buy a new rotor which comes with the magnets. Re-gluing magnets often doesn't work out so well.
Yeah....I meant nuts.

Quick Reply: Advice before I begin the charging system replace