Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please help my 48 - brake problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2017 | 12:40 AM
Toma48
|
Cruiser
Default Please help my 48 - brake problems

Hey guys I really need your help and expertise.

Today I noticed my left fork higher than the right. I panicked and quickly removed the tire, forks and caliper. I got both aligned and started putting everything back together. Now that I have the forks aligned and everything is torqued, my brakes aren't working. My lever has no pressure and the wheel is hard to roll (it feels like something is stuck).

When I removed the axle the tire dropped and so did the spacers. Now I noticed that the bigger spacer was on the left and the smaller spacer was on (while facing the bike). I installed them the way that I found them BUT when I looked at my brother's 883 I noticed that its the other way around so I redid everything and installed the spacers vice-versa, small on the left big on the right (while standing in front of the bike).

Should I have installed the big spacer on the left and small spacer on the right like how I found them? Or was I right to copy the Iron? I know they're different bike but I thought since they are both Sportster I thought they would be the same. I'm not sure if that has even anything to do with the brakes. I don't recall pressing the front brake lever while the caliper was off.

I'm really frustrated as I was just doing something so simple (or at least I thought it was). Any help would be greatly appreciated! Sorry for the long post.

Old 08-23-2017 | 07:56 AM
FMB42
Cruiser

I'm sure that some of the other members can help you with the correct spacer positions. Meanwhile, you'll want to get your hands on a service manual for that machine of yours (or, at the very least, a diagram of the front wheel, brake, and forks). As for the brake loss, did you disconnect the hydraulic brake line? If so, you'll need to bleed the air out of the system. The same might be said if you 'pressed' the f. brake lever while the caliper was separated from the disc (doing so would very most likely result in the need to press the caliper piston back into the cal. housing in order to fit the caliper assembly over the disc). Note: please to not ride that machine until you're absolutely positive that everything is assembled and working properly.

Old 08-23-2017 | 08:36 AM
72 Ironhead XLH
Road Captain
Old 08-23-2017 | 10:30 AM
Toma48
|
Cruiser

Thanks for the reply guys.

FMB2 I've been looking for a service manual for my 2014 48 but have had no luck. I only removed the caliper from the rotor. I don't recall pressing the front brake lever while it was off.

72 thanks for the diagram, unfortunately this is for the Iron 883, I have the 48. This one has the wide spacer on the rotor side which is how I installed them.

I read from another member who has a 48 that said that the wide spacer is on the opposite side of the rotor. I will try that today

Old 08-23-2017 | 10:37 AM
cvaria
Supporter

Your 48 brakes are no different from an iron.
theres a literary only a 50% chance you put the spacers on wrong.

Spread the pads back in the caliper as far as possible. Get your wheel back on and pump up your brakes... thats all thats to it. We know that the wheel isnt on backwards because there is only one rotor. So once you sort the spacers out. You are done.

relax

Old 08-23-2017 | 11:18 AM
hscic
Grand HDF Member

Here is another source:
http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....PER%20ASSEMBLY

Is the rotor aligned with the caliper after you switched spacers?

As mentioned by cvaria and since you did not disconnect the brake line, just open up the pads to give the rotor some space....then once wheel is on, pump your brake until you feel pressure.

Old 08-23-2017 | 12:36 PM
Toma48
|
Cruiser

Thank you everyone for the replies.

I swapped the spacers around and got everything snugged up and its all back to normal! I made the simple mistake of switching the spacers around by copying my brother's Iron. I should have installed them the way I saw them on the ground or better yet should have labeled or took a picture.

Lesson learned. Thanks again everyone you rock!

Old 08-23-2017 | 01:36 PM
TStephen
Road Warrior

I'm still pondering the part where you said "Today I noticed my left fork higher than the right."

Like......how did that happen? Check the torque on your fork bolts in the upper and lower brackets.

Old 08-23-2017 | 01:46 PM
lewk
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by TStephen
I'm still pondering the part where you said "Today I noticed my left fork higher than the right." ...
Occurs more frequently than you think:

Old 08-23-2017 | 01:47 PM
lewk
Road Warrior

Oh wait, you were talking about forks... never mind

Quick Reply: Please help my 48 - brake problems