Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2015 48 before and after cosmetic and motor work with dyno

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2017, 09:08 PM
TheFranchiseM
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cvaria
pipes are killing you
The pipes came with the bike when I purchased it. Are they killing me HP wise?
I actually have wanted to change them but for cosmetic reasons

Old 08-21-2017, 09:15 PM
cvaria
Supporter
Received 2,201 Likes on 1,687 Posts

Terrible pipes. May see a jump in performance with a good 2-1 or nice headers and slip-ons

Old 08-22-2017, 12:31 AM
Toma48
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TheFranchiseM
Here is the bike now after some work

Hey man nice bike! What fairing are you using?

Old 08-22-2017, 12:49 AM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,991 Likes on 1,693 Posts

You've mentioned two important things: that you came from the sportbike world, and you want more power. We're going to need some clarification as to what you mean by "power".

If you want high rpm, maximum horsepower, that's not what Harleys are all about. Harleys are about the grunt, that fabulous pull away from a stoplight as you run it up through the gears. Harleys are about low and midrange torque. Horsepower matters, of course, but it's all about the torque.

As has been mentioned, dual pipes are good for high rpm horsepower, but they are the absolute worst type of exhaust system for low to midrange torque. I would strongly suggest a quality 2-1 exhaust system, and then have it retuned.

I think you'll be astonished at the difference, and you'll be astonished at how much more fun you'll be having riding it.

Old 08-22-2017, 06:58 AM
TheFranchiseM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by IdahoHacker
You've mentioned two important things: that you came from the sportbike world, and you want more power. We're going to need some clarification as to what you mean by "power".

If you want high rpm, maximum horsepower, that's not what Harleys are all about. Harleys are about the grunt, that fabulous pull away from a stoplight as you run it up through the gears. Harleys are about low and midrange torque. Horsepower matters, of course, but it's all about the torque.

As has been mentioned, dual pipes are good for high rpm horsepower, but they are the absolute worst type of exhaust system for low to midrange torque. I would strongly suggest a quality 2-1 exhaust system, and then have it retuned.

I think you'll be astonished at the difference, and you'll be astonished at how much more fun you'll be having riding it.
The torque and how you described the power of a Harley is why I have been having so much fun on this bike.

I enjoy modding up my toys and learning all the different ways to improve them that's why I want to know what else I can do to this bike performance wise. I'm also interested in reducing some weight.

Very intresting info info on the difference between a duel and 2-1 exhaust. Do you think the gains from a 2-1 would show in a dyno by higher numbers or a better powerband?

Old 08-22-2017, 07:49 AM
awilson40
Road Warrior
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 1,495 Likes on 548 Posts

haha actually I did cut my hair over the summer ☹️
I was just jerkin your chain, glad to see you can take a joke
Short shots are a pain to tune. I went back to the stock head pipes with slip-ons. May go to a 2 into 1 at some point. You need a little back pressure not to loose mid range. Glad to see you are doing your own wrenching. So few seem able or willing to. Keep up the good work.

Old 08-22-2017, 08:37 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Very intresting info info on the difference between a duel and 2-1 exhaust. Do you think the gains from a 2-1 would show in a dyno by higher numbers or a better powerband?
As a believer in 2-1 pipes for the reason that most 2-2 pipes typically produce a very noticeable sag in the torque cure down low (2500-4000 RPM), your dyno sheet shows virtually no low end dip. I can see no reason to spend the kind of money a good 2-1 costs unless you have money to burn.

The V&H Short Shots have been dyno'd in Hammer Performances exhaust shoot-out and they fared very well against the Patriot Defender (no longer made) yardstick, as seen below in the attached pic.

Attached Thumbnails 2015 48 before and after cosmetic and motor work with dyno-shortshots.gif  

Last edited by cHarley; 08-22-2017 at 08:39 AM.
Old 08-22-2017, 08:57 AM
TheFranchiseM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cHarley
As a believer in 2-1 pipes for the reason that most 2-2 pipes typically produce a very noticeable sag in the torque cure down low (2500-4000 RPM), your dyno sheet shows virtually no low end dip. I can see no reason to spend the kind of money a good 2-1 costs unless you have money to burn.

The V&H Short Shots have been dyno'd in Hammer Performances exhaust shoot-out and they fared very well against the Patriot Defender (no longer made) yardstick, as seen below in the attached pic.
thank you for the info. I wasn't sure how my dyno looked compared to other sportsters. I would change exhausts if I knew I was getting a nice bump in performance but if not I'd rather spend that money on rear shocks.

Old 08-22-2017, 08:59 AM
TheFranchiseM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cHarley

that dyno shows a nice jump without the baffle.

Old 08-22-2017, 09:08 AM
JimmyL
Tourer
Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts

It's nice to see a sportster being used as a Sportster, I mean as opposed to people trying to make a cruiser out of it. Nice bike and mods !

Quick Reply: 2015 48 before and after cosmetic and motor work with dyno