Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motorcycle cover?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 05:39 PM
crazyfool710
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motorcycle cover?

Hello, im interested in purchasing a motorcycle cover. I wanted the dowco weather all plus cover but i talked to a gear tech and told him i had a sissy bar and eventuall will b wanting 12" tall ape hangers. He said thats tough, custom bike custom headache. There is not really anyone providing a cover that accomidates custom bikes like that. Any suggestions? Hmmm. This is what i wanted to purchase
This is what i plan to add on the bike in the future
And this is the sissy bar i have i stalled right now

Old 08-20-2017, 07:32 PM
hscic
Grand HDF Member
Received 546 Likes on 465 Posts

I bought the Platinum cover from this site:
http://www.carcovers.com/covers/motorcycle.html

I told them I had a sportster with batwing fairings with windshield and full hard saddlebags.....so a custom fit. The cover fit nicely on my sporty.

Just make sure they know what mods you added to your model....guaranteed to fit.

Last edited by hscic; 09-02-2017 at 04:13 PM.
Old 08-20-2017, 07:58 PM
Hammerhead Pat
Stellar HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 555 Posts

My input will be on if this cover is for inside the garage or an outside cover. If for inside, don't waste your money on an expensive cover, just use an old sheet or bedspread. The covers with all the elastic and such are a pain in the ***, they get snagged on the turn signals, foot pegs, mirrors, bars, etc....
Now if its for the outside, get the best damn one you can find and deal with the hassles.....

Old 09-01-2017, 01:53 PM
crazyfool710
4th Gear

So i ended up ordering the dowco weatherall plus size medium motorcycle cover. It was a bit to snug and did not cover some of the bottim. It would have been ok but not good enough. I returned it and got the same cover in a size large. It fits perfect for a sportster 72 w a burley tall sissy bar. So just fyi for those of you w maybe the same bikeor close to it. ��

Old 09-01-2017, 01:57 PM
crazyfool710
4th Gear

W the size large dowco weatherall plus cover

Right and left view provided. Has a loop for the fron tire so run a chain through the cover as well. They sell an alarm that goes inside the cover, a lil pocket. Think ill get that next just for extra security. Its already parked in front of my bedroom. No shade, hence the cover

Old 09-01-2017, 02:01 PM
ABQ-Jammer
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 4,753 Likes on 2,317 Posts

I see covers on eBay all the time that cover just the tank and seat, which would work for your setup, for less than $20. That's the main thing, right, to keep the paint from fading and the seat from burning your backside? My wife got some weatherproof UV protection silver/gray fabric from the store, and is making me one to fit my Dyna. Just gonna bungee it on to heavy grommets, or she might sew on stretchy straps instead.

Old 09-01-2017, 06:08 PM
crazyfool710
4th Gear

Well the point is to protect it from the weather conditions all year around since i do not have a garage or any kind of shelter for my bike. So its exposed to it all. But i got to say, i put it on last night. And went to leave for work today around 2pm. I took off the cover and went to touch the bike and damn it was hot!!! Its like i didnt even have a cover on it. Like i was ridi g for an hour and got off and touch the hot exhaust. Everything was hot. Sissy bar. Handle bars. So hot i thought i was getting burned by the pipes and it hadnt been turned on since 11 at night.

I also have a leather la pera seat so thats one of the main reason y im trying to protect it. I fel like that cover doesnt even matter. That thing was scorching hot!! Ouch! I must add it gets pretty hot over here lately. I know it gets hotter other places....but today it is 106 degrees. And it does get hotter than that. Theres been an excessive heat warning for this summer. 115 etc.

Old 09-01-2017, 07:39 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by ABQ-Jammer
I see covers on eBay all the time that cover just the tank and seat, which would work for your setup, for less than $20. That's the main thing, right, to keep the paint from fading and the seat from burning your backside? My wife got some weatherproof UV protection silver/gray fabric from the store, and is making me one to fit my Dyna. Just gonna bungee it on to heavy grommets, or she might sew on stretchy straps instead.
No, you want a full cover with HONDA printed on both sides.
Reduced risk of your bike being stolen.

Old 09-02-2017, 08:37 AM
Billy W
Road Master
Received 710 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by crazyfool710
Well the point is to protect it from the weather conditions all year around since i do not have a garage or any kind of shelter for my bike. So its exposed to it all. But i got to say, i put it on last night. And went to leave for work today around 2pm. I took off the cover and went to touch the bike and damn it was hot!!! Its like i didnt even have a cover on it. Like i was ridi g for an hour and got off and touch the hot exhaust. Everything was hot. Sissy bar. Handle bars. So hot i thought i was getting burned by the pipes and it hadnt been turned on since 11 at night.

I also have a leather la pera seat so thats one of the main reason y im trying to protect it. I fel like that cover doesnt even matter. That thing was scorching hot!! Ouch! I must add it gets pretty hot over here lately. I know it gets hotter other places....but today it is 106 degrees. And it does get hotter than that. Theres been an excessive heat warning for this summer. 115 etc.
Build a ramp and roll her inside!

Old 09-02-2017, 01:42 PM
crazyfool710
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Billy W
Build a ramp and roll her inside!
I have actually thought about that more than a couple of times. Lol. Its 110 today. Sheesh. Plus a fire close up in the mountains.