Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me choose a solo seat!

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 11:29 PM
Wobble44
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me choose a solo seat!

Hi there,

I'm seeking advice choosing between Mustang seats for my '17 Iron 883.

I ride daily only a few minutes, but once or twice a year do big trips of a week or two at a time. I ride alone and carry a sissy bar bag so a slight pillion seat would be good to save the bag scratching the fender, otherwise I'll need a fender bib.

I find the new HD tuck and roll seat OK for around 2 hours, but after a full day it's not so good. I'm 6'3" and 180 pounds. I have forward controls and would like to move back slightly, I see most aftermarket seats go back an inch or so.

So far I like:

1. Mustang Fastback
2. Mustang Tripper solo (will need fender bib or fastback model)
3. Mustang Vintage Solo (will need fender bib)

I also wouldn't mind a bit of lumbar support, although on long trips I can lean against my bag.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!!

Old 08-03-2017, 11:48 PM
Dsrieth
Cruiser
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Love my vintage wide solo on my 1200c

Old 08-04-2017, 12:04 AM
Wobble44
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would I be correct in saying though that the Vintage Wide Solo keeps you forward and moves you up a little? I'm reading that the Tripper let's me move back as well.

Old 08-04-2017, 05:24 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Wink

Was in Melbourne earlier this year and visited the Harley dealer! Another possibility to consider is a Sundowner, as they are another favourite in here, along with the Mustang Wide Touring. Your local dealer may offer a demo model you can try out. Don't be put off by talk on-line of what a seat does, as we each have a different shaped backside and will each have a different view of whether it is comfortable or not! In addition we are allowed to have more than one seat, so you can consider having one for your commute and then swap over to your touring seat for longer trips.

Old 08-04-2017, 06:46 AM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,180 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by Wobble44
Would I be correct in saying though that the Vintage Wide Solo keeps you forward and moves you up a little? I'm reading that the Tripper let's me move back as well.
Seems to me that my Mustang Vintage Solo raises me up and moves me back a bit. I would imagine the Wide would do the same thing. Comfort wise, for long duration riding, you get a lot of recommendations for the Mustang seats. The Wide being the best (more surface area to distribute the weight) followed by the regular Vintage Solo.

Form vs. function always seem to be in contention when it comes to seats. For a comfortable seat, the Mustangs seems to be the best looking (at least to me). Again, there is some trade-off (but not much) in this department when considering the Wide vs. regular Vintage Solo. Seen the Sundowner mentioned. It may - or may not - be comfortable, but it's always struck me as one ugly seat.

I have the regular Mustang Vintage Solo for my Nightster. However, I got the one for the 4.5 gallon tank to maintain the gap between the seat and the tank. I prefer that look and it makes the seat look smaller.

I'm still experimenting with the MVS. It seems to have gone a long way to solving my pain problems from pressure points. However, in hot weather I still experience some *** burn/monkey butt/swamp ***. The vinyl material doesn't breath and seems to grab both pants and flesh - causing some bunching at times. I just recently picked up some beads.

They are not the Beadriders. Found these on Amazon for around $18 (including shipping). They are the wood beads, not ceramic. From what I've seen, they appear to only come in one size and that's it. However, they just so happen to fit the MVS almost perfectly. They may be just a little too narrow for the Wide. Beadrider makes various sizes to fit most seats and pillion pads. They also make them in wood or ceramic beads. So if I needed something of a different size I would go looking there (and would have to pay more - significantly so for ceramic). I haven't had time to put many miles on the MVS with the beads yet, but from what I've experienced so far (both on the MVS and when I tried them on a Bare Bones) they do a great job of cooling and preventing bunching. So they seem effective in combating *** burn/monkey butt/swamp ***. We'll see if the MVS and the beads end up making a magic combination. I will also note that the beads seem to raise you up and move you back ever so slightly (enough to just be perceptible I think) - in addition to what the MVS already does. With the beads on the seat, there is just enough rim on the back edge of the MVS to still keep you locked into the seat during acceleration etc.

Old 08-04-2017, 10:08 AM
hscic
Grand HDF Member
Received 547 Likes on 466 Posts

I used/bought the Mustang Fastback Tripper 2-up, the Mustang Wide Tripper Solo with backrest, and the Mustang Wide Touring/Vintage Solo with backrest....and enjoy the Wide Touring Solo for comfort. Although the wide tripper solo looks better, it is not as comfortable. I used to feel the heat through the seat.

Last edited by hscic; 08-04-2017 at 10:11 AM.