Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First time HD shopper.... advice?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 08:09 AM
GringoLoco
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: First time HD shopper.... advice?

Cool, I just wasn't sure if it was a limited production run, say, 1500 units and that's it for the year. I'm going up to my credit union in the morning (at work now) to beg and plead for a new loan. If the suckers actually give me the money, I'll be at the Harley stealership demanding an 07 XL1200N in olive green. :drool:

Old 06-11-2007, 03:15 PM
swervedriver
Advanced

ORIGINAL: GringoLoco

Okay, so I figured out some of the differences between the Custom and Roadster, and decided I like the Roadster better.

Now, looking around online at reviews I'm seeing Sporty owners complain of the newer engines needing to be rebuilt after only 3500 miles, the dealer refusing to fix it under warrantee, etc. Anybody else know of any problems with defective valve guides or something?
where did you read this stuff?

Old 06-11-2007, 09:16 PM
GringoLoco
Cruiser

^^^ I just did a search for Sportster or Harley reviews and one of the pages I came across had some negative reviews. You know how review sites are, though, usually to motivate somebody to post something they've gotta be pretty pissed off about something, lol. Not exactly a representative sample.

So anyway, I bought me an all black XL1200N Nightster today, just got back. I'm officially no longer a lurker, lol. I wanted the green, but they said they only got one for the whole year, and it was already sold. They couldn't locate another one for me, and all they had in stock was an all black one, which was a close second pick anyway. Funny part is about a half hour after I showed up another dude came in to buy it. I guess he was there last week and said he'd be back yesterday, but didn't show up, so I got it. Poor bastard...

First impressions: Man, this thing has a bit more torque than my old 1982 Kaw 750 POS, lol. It's also incredibly easy to ride. I rode for a couple years from 1993 to 1995, haven't touched a bike since. I hop on, do a few awkward laps of the building, and ride home. By the time I got home (only about 5 miles) I had gotten about 80% of my old confidence back up. The bike is just so easy to ride, it really caught me off guard.

Anyways, it's bone stock now except for the security key fob, and I ordered some of the slip on mufflers, can't remember what they're called, but not the Screaming Eagle ones. I think they're called Cycle Tech or something. The sales dude had them and said he liked them, so I took his word for it, lol. I already knew I wanted them, just didn't know which ones. Should be in in about 10 days. I like the mid controls the way they are, except I kept putting my feet too far inward, on the metal. Really the only thing I can think of that I'd want aftermarket is the Stage one kit. I really like it blacked out with no chrome. I might repaint the tank and fenders later though. I'm thinking flat black with gloss black pinstripes. That was the sales dudes idea, and I kinda liked it. Another idea would be gloss black over flat black.

So anyway, I had to work last night, I've been up for 24 hours, and I have a poker party to go to in a couple hours. I wanna take a nap, so I'll post pics tomorrow to bring some value to this thread. Thanks for all the help and encouragement guys!

Old 06-12-2007, 03:39 AM
Teek
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

congrats on the bike!

Teek

Old 06-12-2007, 03:55 AM
Superstylin
Cruiser

Congrats on the bike! I've had mine for just over a week now (not the same as yours, but from the same family). You're going to love it.