Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Superlow 1200t ECM Failure

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 09:25 PM
Doug F
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Superlow 1200t ECM Failure

The ECM on my 2016 XL1200t failed after only 3000 miles. Part on back order until Aug 18 2017. Apparently there is a problem with this part.

Symptoms were stalling followed by difficulty restarting and running rough. The check engine light comes on. Occurs when it's hot.

Anyone have this problem?

Old 08-03-2017, 05:01 PM
j_bee
Tourer
Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

What was the trouble code/s shown as a result of the check engine light?
Although there is the occasional failure with an ECM they are generally pretty reliable.
What diagnostic approach was used to come to the conclusion that the part has failed?

Old 08-03-2017, 06:43 PM
Doug F
6th Gear

Originally Posted by j_bee
What was the trouble code/s shown as a result of the check engine light?
Although there is the occasional failure with an ECM they are generally pretty reliable.
What diagnostic approach was used to come to the conclusion that the part has failed?
I took it to the dealership. I do not know the precise code but apparently it indicated a problem with the ECM. The technician called Harley and the initial decision was to replace the crank position sensor. However the problem recurred and I believe with the same code. And therefore the decision to replace the ECM. I do not know if any additional testing was done.

The bike is still under warranty so no charge. But the part is on back order until the end of the month - so I am pretty unhappy.

Old 08-06-2017, 05:34 AM
j_bee
Tourer
Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

I can understand your frustration at having to wait this long during prime riding season.

It sounds like they would have carried out some further testing to give HD the data that led them to the conclusion to replace the ECM. That decision would be reliant on the dealership having carried out the checks correctly and the information that they provided would mean that ECM replacement was the logical way forward.
It's not possible now to use a test ECM in the workshop on newer models to confirm ECM failure as mileage information is transferred between the test ECM and speedometer on the bike and held in memory so it will be a case of waiting for the new part to come in.

Lets hope it solves your issue.

In the mean time, it can't hurt to approach the dealership and ask if they can provide you with a loan bike, even if it's only on the odd day so you can get out and have a ride huh? Let them know your upset in a polite manner and that you intend to be a long term customer, whether that's true or not it might sway their decision.

Good luck and let us know the results when the ECM is finally installed.

Old 08-26-2017, 03:41 PM
Doug F
6th Gear
Angry So many quality issues...

First of all, the ECM was finally replaced after a month on back order and seems to have fixed the stalling problem (at least for now). I just picked it up last night and it is running fine. HOWEVER, the turn signal indicator was not working and the indicator lights below the speedo had to be replaced today. Also they broke the top of my right saddle bag - looks like someone leaned on the open top and sprung 3 of the screws to the hinge (I was able to find a small enough Allen wrench to screw it back in but it is bent).

So here are all the problems I have had with the bike and the Scottsdale dealership in the 4 months I have owned the bike.

2016 Superlow XL1200t purchased end of April from the dealership with 200 miles on it.
Left front fork replaced at 500 miles. Parts had to be ordered so repair took a week.
Clutch cable 1000 miles.
Crank position sensor 3000 miles
ECM 3000 miles
Indicator lights 3000 miles
LED Headlight upgrade: aftermarket light kept triggering a warning light on the dashboard. Changing to another of the same brand did not help (part listed as 5-C 5 INCH CHROME LED HEADLIGHT $299.95). Changing to a Harley brand LED light for an additional $150 solved the problem. This took 5 visits to resolve.
New passenger pegs. The hardware they used to install was incorrect and they would not stay in up position. Had to bring back and for another $25 in parts this was fixed.
ECM/Crank position sensor/indicator lights. Brought the bike in on 7/28/17 because it was stalling and running rough. Initially changed out the crank position sensor. This did not fix the problem and a new ECM was ordered. Due to back order, the repair was not completed for 4 weeks. However, after picking up the bike found that the left turn signal indicator was not working. The indicator lights had to be replaced.
Right saddlebag hinge broken at dealership. After picking up the bike last night found that only the right bag was locked. When I opened it I found that 3 of the 4 screws that hold the hinge to the lid had been sprung. Likely someone leaned on the lid when it was open. Harley dealership is looking into whether this will covered by warranty.

So my experience as a first time Harley owner has been very poor. Out of 4 months the bike has been in the shop for 6 weeks. With the exception of the lights all of the above items have been covered by the warranty. However, my expectations to buy a bike free from manufacturer's defects, have parts readily available when needed (this model has been in production since 2014), and have it serviced correctly the first time without causing additional problems have clearly not been met.

Making me think a different more reliable brand is what I may need.

Old 01-10-2018, 09:01 PM
Norseman16
Novice
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I just bought a 2017 XL1200T and I'm hoping this is the exception and not the rule. My first H.D. The dealer I bought the bike at impressed me more than any Victory or Honda dealer I've bought other bikes at.

Old 01-10-2018, 10:22 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,991 Likes on 1,693 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug F

So here are all the problems I have had with the bike and the Scottsdale dealership in the 4 months I have owned the bike.

2016 Superlow XL1200t purchased end of April from the dealership with 200 miles on it.
Left front fork replaced at 500 miles. Parts had to be ordered so repair took a week.
Clutch cable 1000 miles.
Crank position sensor 3000 miles
ECM 3000 miles
Indicator lights 3000 miles
LED Headlight upgrade: aftermarket light kept triggering a warning light on the dashboard. Changing to another of the same brand did not help (part listed as 5-C 5 INCH CHROME LED HEADLIGHT $299.95). Changing to a Harley brand LED light for an additional $150 solved the problem. This took 5 visits to resolve.
New passenger pegs. The hardware they used to install was incorrect and they would not stay in up position. Had to bring back and for another $25 in parts this was fixed.
ECM/Crank position sensor/indicator lights. Brought the bike in on 7/28/17 because it was stalling and running rough. Initially changed out the crank position sensor. This did not fix the problem and a new ECM was ordered. Due to back order, the repair was not completed for 4 weeks. However, after picking up the bike found that the left turn signal indicator was not working. The indicator lights had to be replaced.
Right saddlebag hinge broken at dealership. After picking up the bike last night found that only the right bag was locked. When I opened it I found that 3 of the 4 screws that hold the hinge to the lid had been sprung. Likely someone leaned on the lid when it was open. Harley dealership is looking into whether this will covered by warranty.

So my experience as a first time Harley owner has been very poor. Out of 4 months the bike has been in the shop for 6 weeks. With the exception of the lights all of the above items have been covered by the warranty. However, my expectations to buy a bike free from manufacturer's defects, have parts readily available when needed (this model has been in production since 2014), and have it serviced correctly the first time without causing additional problems have clearly not been met.

Making me think a different more reliable brand is what I may need.
I'm with you, brother. I'm with you.

Old 01-11-2018, 07:38 AM
apache snow
Road Warrior
Received 693 Likes on 453 Posts

I guess they make a bad one every now and again. Other manufactures do. My 2014 was never back for anything. And hasn't needed any maint except for oil changes and normal adjustments at prescribed intervals. It has been rock solid.