Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So what is this belt wear pattern telling me?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 07:16 PM
Grey_Beard
Tourer
Received 98 Likes on 82 Posts

The wear is on the outside of the belt, so it really should have anything to do with the pulleys or contact with the pulleys. Question, how is the belt tension? I'm wondering if your getting some kind of harmonic (vibration) in the belt between the pulleys and the outside of the belt is hitting the inside of one of the belt guards when it's under load?

Old 07-26-2017, 08:13 PM
cvaria
Supporter
Received 2,198 Likes on 1,684 Posts

that pretty fine. maybe something is under you sprocket cover

Old 07-26-2017, 08:23 PM
Lonnie Mac
Tourer
Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

Seems like you will be pulling your sprocket cover "real" soon anyway. I'll bet you will find a shiny spot somewhere, or something lodged solid. I don't suspect something "got in and got out" that fast. The pattern is too consistent with debris. This looks like your cover has shifted or something. Maybe something in your belt guard let loose. You will know soon!

Old 07-26-2017, 09:06 PM
HarleyScuba
Elite HDF Member
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

Check the rear pulley. In years past, I've witnessed big-twin pulleys, separate. They don't split in two, down the middle, but the pulley component comes away from the mounting ring. I haven't heard of Sportster pulley separation, though. Check the pulley bolts for wobble / boogers. That definitive line in the middle of your belt, is most curious. Jack it up, and spin the wheel, listening, carefully. Then, start taking **** apart, and see what's up.
Good eye, and good-on-you for your attentiveness. The belts are extremely durable. My Softail belt, has had a hole for over ten years, created by a pebble stuck in the belt. The hole is small-ish, and in the middle of the belt, but it keeps rollin'. They're tough, but not indestructible.
Let us know what you discover. I haven't encountered such a situation, on a Sporty.

Old 07-26-2017, 10:00 PM
S.t.r.a.n.g.e.r
Road Master
Received 809 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by Grey_Beard
The wear is on the outside of the belt, so it really should have anything to do with the pulleys or contact with the pulleys.
Agreed...
Originally Posted by Grey_Beard
Question, how is the belt tension? I'm wondering if your getting some kind of harmonic (vibration) in the belt between the pulleys and the outside of the belt is hitting the inside of one of the belt guards when it's under load?
I thought the very same thing.
Here's why I did.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVBV...ature=youtu.be
I was looking for different locations to mount my GoPro and thought I would try out the passenger peg.
If you look at the video at about the 20 to 30 second mark (looking at the extreme left) you will see what I'm talking about.
In my opinion, there seems to be a fair amount of resonance, to the point of hitting the top of the sprocket cover on the way to the front sprocket.

I don't have a belt tension gauge (yet! it's now on the list) but I read about the 45 degree twist method.
Based on that test it was a little loose so I tightened it up.
After doing so, I filmed another video... same thing.
It didn't change a bit.
That shocked me a little.
I thought for sure that was going to be the issue.
Wishful thinking I guess.

Originally Posted by cvaria
... maybe something is under you sprocket cover
Originally Posted by Lonnie Mac
Seems like you will be pulling your sprocket cover "real" soon...
Starting to be a consensus...

Originally Posted by HarleyScuba
Check the rear pulley... Check the pulley bolts for wobble / boogers. That definitive line in the middle of your belt, is most curious. Jack it up, and spin the wheel, listening, carefully. Then, start taking **** apart, and see what's up.
Hmmm... I'll check the pulley/pulley bolts... after peering behind my sprocket cover.
Hopefully I can get to it tomorrow night.
Originally Posted by HarleyScuba
Good eye, and good-on-you for your attentiveness...
Let us know what you discover. I haven't encountered such a situation, on a Sporty.
Thanks for your response.
Yeah, once I find the issue, I'll post with what was found.
It might help someone in the future.
I did a search for this situation and found nothing.

Last edited by S.t.r.a.n.g.e.r; 07-26-2017 at 10:16 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Ratwerke (07-27-2017)
Old 07-27-2017, 01:09 AM
BlackBettyXLC
Cruiser
Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

To me, imho, it looks like you found the source of your problem in that video you posted. Your sprocket cover seems to only cover that outer half of your belt and the belt seems to be flopping up and down enough to slap the sprocket cover and cause wear to that outer half of the belt. You said you tightened it up and there's no difference though (at least to your naked eye), right?

Old 07-27-2017, 09:00 AM
S.t.r.a.n.g.e.r
Road Master
Received 809 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackBettyXLC
To me, imho, it looks like you found the source of your problem in that video you posted. Your sprocket cover seems to only cover that outer half of your belt and the belt seems to be flopping up and down enough to slap the sprocket cover and cause wear to that outer half of the belt.
It's an illusion, the sprocket cover fully covers the belt.
Here's another pic...

Originally Posted by BlackBettyXLC
You said you tightened it up and there's no difference though (at least to your naked eye), right?
No difference.
Made another video and it views exactly the same way.
I thought for sure that tightening the belt would reduce the severity... it didn't.

Thanks for responding

Old 07-27-2017, 09:47 AM
Ratwerke
Road Captain
Received 143 Likes on 127 Posts

Well I went out in the garage and looked on mine. No wear on mine, but noticed that under the belt, the master cylinder and crossover frame are potential contact points. Maybe you could check for scuff on that hardware.
You could have had debris get under the front pulley guard also.
One idea you could try is take a crayon to a couple of inches, ride it, and determine if it is still rubbing (and against what).

Old 07-27-2017, 09:55 AM
mrhammer2u
Elite HDF Member
Received 1,375 Likes on 938 Posts

My 2nd guess is that something got in your belt, was stuck for long enough to cause all that wear and then finally fell out. BUT,..you think the drive pulley would be worn as well? I think the drive pulley is steel tho. If the rear pulley is alum this "might" be an explanation as to why one pulley is worn and the other is not.

Old 07-27-2017, 09:57 AM
BlackBettyXLC
Cruiser
Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Indy-Stranger
No difference.
Made another video and it views exactly the same way.
I thought for sure that tightening the belt would reduce the severity... it didn't.

Thanks for responding
Well, I like Ratwerke's suggestion. Also sounds like bitin bullet and takin off the front sprocket cover will help narrow your search. You could at least cross it off your list and it's very possible that is where your problem lies.

Quick Reply: So what is this belt wear pattern telling me?