Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No power at all on my Sporty

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 11:07 AM
scanales85
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No power at all on my Sporty

I have a 2007 Nightster and I recently encountered a problem where my ignition has no power anymore. I went for a ride on two desperate occasions and they both did the same thing. Here's what happened.

-turned my key to the ON position
- turned the switch on my bike to run it and pushed the start switch.
- once I did that the bike lost all power and didn't want to start.

I checked the battery and it was fine the cable was a bit lose and tightened it and cranked right up. Here's where I am confused I had the same issue yesterday had power and when I went to start it up it lost all power again and after that it had no power at all. From what I've read some people suggest the ignition switch may be bad or my battery and even maybe even a short in the wiring itself. Anybody with any ideas or a Better place to start diagnosing it and save some time would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Old 07-24-2017, 01:23 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

I would start by removing, cleaning and tightening BOTH ends of BOTH battery cables.

You said "I checked the battery and it was fine". Did you have the battery Load Tested?

2007 Sporties have a chronic problem with water intrusion into the fuse block relay area. Remove all fuses and relays, clean the contacts on the fuses, relays and sockets. Apply a light coat of dielectric grease (at any auto parts store) to all contacts and reinstall.

Old 07-24-2017, 02:05 PM
scanales85
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes had the battery fully tested at AutoZone. I will be sure to do what you suggested. I did forget to mention some other details as well. The ignition itself has an issue where my key gets stuck I have to wiggle the damn thing to get it to turn to the on position and getting it out is also difficult. Do you think this can contribute to not being able to properly start my bike? I do want to replace it anyway so I figure I might as well do it while I work on the bike.