Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hard time starting with backfire

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2017 | 12:05 PM
DonB5150
|
Intermediate
Default Hard time starting with backfire

Hi all, here's my dumbass question for this month. I've had my 2002 Sportster 1200 since March and have riden practically every day until I went on vacation end of June. My bike has always started very quickly, practically just push of the button. I returned from vacation Mon and since my bike is having a hard time starting. 5-10!seconds holding the start button the first couple of times and no start, accompanied with backfire. Once it starts it idles and runs great.
Any suggestions as to what might be happening? I'm really mechanically ignorant but am willing to learn.
Thanks

The following users liked this post:
Tommy Brennan (09-10-2019)
Old 07-14-2017 | 09:20 AM
DonB5150
|
Intermediate
Default Update

Originally Posted by DonB5150
Hi all, here's my dumbass question for this month. I've had my 2002 Sportster 1200 since March and have riden practically every day until I went on vacation end of June. My bike has always started very quickly, practically just push of the button. I returned from vacation Mon and since my bike is having a hard time starting. 5-10!seconds holding the start button the first couple of times and no start, accompanied with backfire. Once it starts it idles and runs great.
Any suggestions as to what might be happening? I'm really mechanically ignorant but am willing to learn.
Thanks
this morning I had to open the throttle all the way to get to start. Any ideas are appreciated.

Old 07-14-2017 | 10:49 AM
cHarley
Club Member

Are you pulling the enrichner (choke) out all the way?
Are you giving the throttle 1 or 2 twists before hitting the start switch?

Note: If the fuel bowl on the carb is dry when you try to start the bike, the motor will require a bit of cranking to create a vacuum which opens the fuel petcock (yes it's also vacuum controlled) in order to let fuel flow into the fuel bowl.

You can take the air filter off the motor so you can see into the carb throat. Let the bike sit overnight and when you come out the next morning, twist the throttle as you are looking into the carb throat. You should see a squirt of fuel from the brass tube (yellow arrow) in the throat each time you twist the throttle.

Attached Thumbnails Hard time starting with backfire-accel_pump_nozzel.jpg  
Old 07-14-2017 | 10:54 AM
cHarley
Club Member

Originally Posted by DonB5150
this morning I had to open the throttle all the way to get to start. Any ideas are appreciated.
Did you see black smoke from the exhaust when it did finally start?
If so, that's indicating a flooded condition which can come from a stuck float.

Do you turn off the petcock at the end of the day?

Old 07-14-2017 | 02:09 PM
DonB5150
|
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cHarley
Are you pulling the enrichner (choke) out all the way?
Are you giving the throttle 1 or 2 twists before hitting the start switch?

Note: If the fuel bowl on the carb is dry when you try to start the bike, the motor will require a bit of cranking to create a vacuum which opens the fuel petcock (yes it's also vacuum controlled) in order to let fuel flow into the fuel bowl.

You can take the air filter off the motor so you can see into the carb throat. Let the bike sit overnight and when you come out the next morning, twist the throttle as you are looking into the carb throat. You should see a squirt of fuel from the brass tube (yellow arrow) in the throat each time you twist the throttle.
p

thanks I'll take a look. I do make sure I open the choke all the way because that's how it acts, as if the choke isn't pulled all the way out. It's just odd that it started after sitting for a week and half. Once running, it's fine.

Old 07-14-2017 | 02:11 PM
DonB5150
|
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cHarley
Did you see black smoke from the exhaust when it did finally start?
If so, that's indicating a flooded condition which can come from a stuck float.

Do you turn off the petcock at the end of the day?

I didn't notice any smoke and I'm in my garage so I think I would.
Now to show my ignorance, what's a petcock?

Old 07-14-2017 | 02:17 PM
maverick31210
Road Captain

Have you checked timing?

Old 07-14-2017 | 04:02 PM
cajun4396
Novice

Petcock is where the fuel comes out of the tank, you can turn flow on, shut off, or put on reserve... some people turn off quite often...

If the bike sits up at all this damn ethanol will reek havoc on the needle which can cause hickups and popping from time to time in my experience...

Old 07-14-2017 | 04:25 PM
DonB5150
|
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cajun4396
Petcock is where the fuel comes out of the tank, you can turn flow on, shut off, or put on reserve... some people turn off quite often...

If the bike sits up at all this damn ethanol will reek havoc on the needle which can cause hickups and popping from time to time in my experience...
sounds like I should be turning it to off position when off and parked?

Old 07-14-2017 | 07:39 PM
DonB5150
|
Intermediate

Originally Posted by maverick31210
Have you checked timing?
Wouldnt timing effect the idling and running? I nothing but am willing to learn.

Quick Reply: Hard time starting with backfire