Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hard time starting with backfire

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2019 | 05:16 PM
aswracing
Road Captain

Fouled spark plugs will cause these symptoms, too.

Old 09-09-2019 | 08:35 PM
yaybar0727
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Longplay
Not HD related, but when I have an engine that I suspect to be flooding or much too over rich, the test I use is to set the switch to OFF. Open throttle wide open. Turn the switch on and keep your hand near that switch. Then hit the starter switch. It should have enough air with the throttle disk full open to kick it off and make it go almost every time. If it does, obviously kill it to prevent over reving the engine. But that would be a sure indication that the float is spilling over fuel into the system even when the bowl is full. Float replacement and needle and seat replacement would be my guess...

Good luck. Let us know what you find.

So I tried to start it at WOT and at the very beginning it seemed like it would start, but it did not. Same thing started happening. Then after a couple minutes of backfires and cranking I got it to start. While it was idling I shut the petcock off and let it burn up everything inside the bowl. Waited a couple hours and tried to start it with it empty. Like a frickin dream, no issues. Then I shut the petcock off again and let it burn everything inside. I'll try again tomorrow morning and see what happens.

Old 09-09-2019 | 08:37 PM
yaybar0727
5th Gear

Originally Posted by aswracing
Fouled spark plugs will cause these symptoms, too.

Plugs are new and good. The old set was fine too, but I figured why not since it is not a pricy purchase.

Old 09-09-2019 | 09:03 PM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Community Team

Have you taken it for a ride?

John

Old 09-11-2019 | 02:51 PM
yaybar0727
5th Gear

Originally Posted by John Harper
Have you taken it for a ride?

John
I did, ran like crap. Unresponsive, coughed out the carb. The mixture screw is the same as I had it last time (currently two turns out). Last time it ran fantastic. This time terrible after the normal difficult starting.

Another thing. When I did the the mixture adjustment it acted strange. As per the CV performance website you are supposed to turn the screw in until it stumbles, then come back out. On my bike, you turn the mixture screw all the way in and it does not do anything at all.

Old 09-14-2019 | 08:26 PM
Kyle Sanderson
4th Gear

Probably not the right place to post this but I'm new and stressed out. I have a 2019 iron 883 with 10325 miles on it. I put custom built pipes on it and last week it died ended up getting it to dealer and long story short had piston ring failure in front cylinder and the intake manifold sucked pieces into rear cylinder and also stuck in exhaust valve. They are saying because of my pipes and the fact that they are wrapped it's my fault no warranty. 3 days after my 1000 mile service I had to have my uncle bring me oil while I waited on side of freeway. Took bike in and they had to add more oil. So I guess my question is any advice anyone dealt with his how screwed am i

Old 09-14-2019 | 09:16 PM
Bass Player
Grand HDF Member

Dumb question for the OP. Is this the same gas that was in the bike when you got home, or is it fresh?

Old 09-14-2019 | 09:21 PM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Community Team

Originally Posted by yaybar0727
I did, ran like crap. Unresponsive, coughed out the carb. The mixture screw is the same as I had it last time (currently two turns out). Last time it ran fantastic. This time terrible after the normal difficult starting.

Another thing. When I did the the mixture adjustment it acted strange. As per the CV performance website you are supposed to turn the screw in until it stumbles, then come back out. On my bike, you turn the mixture screw all the way in and it does not do anything at all.
Then you have crap in the passages from the pilot jet to the mixture screw, or the transfer ports are clogged. Are you sure there isn't the old "O" ring up there in the mixture screw hole? They are tough to see sometimes, use a bent safety pin to fish it out if it's still jammed in there.

John

Old 09-15-2019 | 06:26 PM
yaybar0727
5th Gear

Originally Posted by John Harper
Then you have crap in the passages from the pilot jet to the mixture screw, or the transfer ports are clogged. Are you sure there isn't the old "O" ring up there in the mixture screw hole? They are tough to see sometimes, use a bent safety pin to fish it out if it's still jammed in there.

John
Will check this week when I remove the carb and take it all apart again! I'll keep the post posted.

@Bass Player, gas is fresh. Chevron 89 octane

Old 09-16-2019 | 11:06 AM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Community Team

Originally Posted by yaybar0727
Will check this week when I remove the carb and take it all apart again! I'll keep the post posted.

@Bass Player, gas is fresh. Chevron 89 octane

You should really start a separate thread, if you want the best chance for others to help out. You hijacked the poor OP's questions.

John

Quick Reply: Hard time starting with backfire