Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hard time starting with backfire

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2017 | 07:50 PM
wyoming55
Tourer

Have you checked the intake seal ring? If its bad it will cause your issue

Old 09-07-2019 | 02:18 PM
yaybar0727
5th Gear

Originally Posted by DonB5150
Hi all, here's my dumbass question for this month. I've had my 2002 Sportster 1200 since March and have riden practically every day until I went on vacation end of June. My bike has always started very quickly, practically just push of the button. I returned from vacation Mon and since my bike is having a hard time starting. 5-10!seconds holding the start button the first couple of times and no start, accompanied with backfire. Once it starts it idles and runs great.
Any suggestions as to what might be happening? I'm really mechanically ignorant but am willing to learn.
Thanks

Did you ever fix this issue? I have the exact same thing going on with my 2003 883.

Old 09-07-2019 | 09:05 PM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Community Team

Originally Posted by yaybar0727
Did you ever fix this issue? I have the exact same thing going on with my 2003 883.
Rebuild and re-adjust your carburetor, and change all 3 intake manifold seals. There's no reason for the timing to change suddenly, it's pretty much set at the factory.

John

Old 09-08-2019 | 01:18 PM
yaybar0727
5th Gear

Originally Posted by John Harper
Rebuild and re-adjust your carburetor, and change all 3 intake manifold seals. There's no reason for the timing to change suddenly, it's pretty much set at the factory.

John
Carb cleaned/rebuilt with all new bits and pieces from rebuild kit thoroughly. Seals replaced. When I can finally get the damn thing to start it runs and idles like a dream. But starting it is the issue. Most of the time It just turns over, and over, and eventually just starts to backfire out the exhaust and cough out the carb. But once in a blue moon it will fire up and run amazing. I am so confused.

Old 09-08-2019 | 01:33 PM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Community Team

Are you sure the passages from your pilot jet, idle mix screw, and transfer ports aren't clogged? You need to take the jet and screw out, flush with carb cleaner and blast it out with air. Sounds like a fuel problem if it will start and run. Can you drive it?

Did you install the needle jet correctly? That's a common error.

Enrichener working correctly?

John

The following users liked this post:
yaybar0727 (09-08-2019)
Old 09-08-2019 | 02:04 PM
yaybar0727
5th Gear

I blasted all of it with compressed air when I did the rebuild, and had the manual in front of me while I did the rebuild plus all the youtube videos to tag along with. The reason I did the rebuild and took it all apart in the first place was because it was giving me this issue to begin with. I will take it off and make sure everything was assembled correctly, but the problems were happening before the rebuild.

If I apply full choke when I try to start it the backfiring happens much sooner. I'm guessing it just floods everything and somehow the spark makes its way into the exhaust igniting all the unburnt crap. I've thought maybe it is indeed a timing issue as many people mention, or the valves are worn (bike only has 10k miles though). But then again, if that was the issue it would run like crap all the time when it finally starts? Am I right here? but it does not! It runs great when it finally starts....

Even though I had the issue before the rebuild, when I started it for the first time after the rebuild it started just fine (so I thought I fixed the problem). But once the carb was full again with fuel it started giving me the problems. Again, when I left overseas several months ago for work, I shut the petcock to off, got the bike to start and ran it dry, emptied the tank, took the battery off and placed it on trickle. When I came back I put everything back together, put fresh fuel. When I started it for the first time again, it came to life no problem at all. Like a bat outta hell. Rode it around all day. Then the next day I tried to start it same problem. Maybe it is the float? But in the same token, the float is lining up exactly how it is supposed to at the correct angle when I did the rebuild.

It also has new plugs, new coil, new plug wires as well because why not.

Old 09-08-2019 | 11:01 PM
Longplay
Tourer

Not HD related, but when I have an engine that I suspect to be flooding or much too over rich, the test I use is to set the switch to OFF. Open throttle wide open. Turn the switch on and keep your hand near that switch. Then hit the starter switch. It should have enough air with the throttle disk full open to kick it off and make it go almost every time. If it does, obviously kill it to prevent over reving the engine. But that would be a sure indication that the float is spilling over fuel into the system even when the bowl is full. Float replacement and needle and seat replacement would be my guess...

Good luck. Let us know what you find.

Old 09-09-2019 | 02:06 AM
Midpegs
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by John Harper
Are you sure the passages from your pilot jet, idle mix screw, and transfer ports aren't clogged? You need to take the jet and screw out, flush with carb cleaner and blast it out with air. Sounds like a fuel problem if it will start and run. Can you drive it?

Did you install the needle jet correctly? That's a common error.

Enrichener working correctly?

John
. I agree , Pilot Air System , that's where I'd start looking.

Old 09-09-2019 | 12:06 PM
yaybar0727
5th Gear

I will let you know when I try it out. Thanks!

Old 09-09-2019 | 03:43 PM
TStephen
Road Warrior

Also check your float level.

Quick Reply: Hard time starting with backfire