Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DK Custom Ironhead build - Photo Heavy

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 03:05 PM
TStephen
Road Warrior
Received 299 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Custom Products
The Dyna beads were readily available to me because we sell them...

I just did a quick search for the Ride on, I have never heard of it... It is probably much easier to get into a tire tube than the beads. The fact that it seals punctures is intriguing. I would have definitely given Ride On a chance if I had it to do over again.

Id imagine as far as balancing goes, The beads and the Ride-on are about the same.

Dwayne
Imagine trying to shake all those beads OUT of the tiny valve stem.

Old 03-09-2018, 03:10 PM
DK Custom Products
Sponsor
Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by TStephen
Ride On requires you to drive the bike for awhile after installing.

I imagine you could put the wheel on a balancing jig and spin it a few thousand times by hand.
So, It definitely isn't an option on this build... These wheels wont be rolling anytime soon.

Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 03-09-2018, 03:12 PM
TStephen
Road Warrior

So, It definitely isn't an option on this build... These wheels wont be rolling anytime soon.
Plus I don't think it's really intended for tubed tires.

Old 03-09-2018, 03:38 PM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 430 Likes on 379 Posts

I like the shape of your pan.
It looks like you have too much margin around the perimeter. You could use a lot more studs/rivets too.

I stitched mine, it wasn't too difficult. Glued the leather to the underside of the pan, glued the top piece to the foam and joined it along the perimeter, then I punched and stitched it with waxed thread. It took about an hour to stitch it.

Like you, I think I'll go back to the drawing board. I am going to reshape my pan a little, and use black leather.

Also, I think I'll rivet the next one. Space the rivets about .5-.75" apart around the perimeter with about a .5" margin.

what is a qualitly foam mateial that is not only comfortable but will last at least 100k mi
and good to work with?

Last edited by splattttttt; 03-09-2018 at 03:43 PM.
Old 03-09-2018, 03:53 PM
DK Custom Products
Sponsor

Plus I don't think it's really intended for tubed tires.
Website says it does, just isn't as effective at sealing punctures.

Originally Posted by splattttttt

what is a qualitly foam mateial that is not only comfortable but will last at least 100k mi
and good to work with?
I am strongly considering carpet padding... It is high density and should be easy to shape. Also it comes in layers to it could be as thick or thin as you want it to be.

I can't say for certain how comfortable it would be but I expect it would last as long as you need it to.

Old 03-09-2018, 04:55 PM
FreedomRider
Road Master
Received 337 Likes on 241 Posts

I run the Dyna Beads in both my '96 Electra Glide with tubeless mag wheels and '96 Road King with spokes and tubes ... no problems on either one and I really like the ride ...

The following users liked this post:
splattttttt (03-09-2018)
Old 03-09-2018, 05:13 PM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 430 Likes on 379 Posts

Website says it does, just isn't as effective at sealing punctures.

I am strongly considering carpet padding... It is high density and should be easy to shape. Also it comes in layers to it could be as thick or thin as you want it to be.

I can't say for certain how comfortable it would be but I expect it would last as long as you need it to.
what about a thick 0.5” first layer of neoprene and covered with foam carpeting base, wich does sound durable and probably good absorption

Old 03-12-2018, 09:35 AM
DK Custom Products
Sponsor

Originally Posted by FreedomRider
I run the Dyna Beads in both my '96 Electra Glide with tubeless mag wheels and '96 Road King with spokes and tubes ... no problems on either one and I really like the ride ...
Thanks for the feedback, I am excited to see how well they work.

what about a thick 0.5” first layer of neoprene and covered with foam carpeting base, wich does sound durable and probably good absorption
That sounds like an excellent Idea. I suppose any material you choose would be fairly cheap so you could experiment with several different materials. Let me know what works best for you... I will be giving my seat another go very soon.

Dwayne

Old 03-12-2018, 02:20 PM
TStephen
Road Warrior

Not to hijack a thread, but I found the carpet padding to be difficult to work with and inconsistent in the feel. It has firm chunks and soft chunks all welded together. Also, it's open cell construction so it absorbs water like a sponge.

I wanted a thin, but soft foam that wouldn't absorb water. I used a 1" thick, neoprene pad for kneeling on when gardening. It was inexpensive, and large enough to do the whole seat in one piece.

If I were going to do it over again (and I will one day ), I'd use a 1/2" - 1" of neoprene knee pad, and put 1" of closed cell, outdoor upholstery foam on top of it. That would be a little thicker, but the neoprene, by itself, gets a little hard on my tail end after a few dozen miles.

Last edited by TStephen; 03-12-2018 at 02:22 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by TStephen:
DK Custom Products (03-12-2018), splattttttt (03-12-2018)
Old 03-12-2018, 02:36 PM
DK Custom Products
Sponsor

Not to hijack a thread, but I found the carpet padding to be difficult to work with and inconsistent in the feel. It has firm chunks and soft chunks all welded together. Also, it's open cell construction so it absorbs water like a sponge.

I wanted a thin, but soft foam that wouldn't absorb water. I used a 1" thick, neoprene pad for kneeling on when gardening. It was inexpensive, and large enough to do the whole seat in one piece.

If I were going to do it over again (and I will one day ), I'd use a 1/2" - 1" of neoprene knee pad, and put 1" of closed cell, outdoor upholstery foam on top of it. That would be a little thicker, but the neoprene, by itself, gets a little hard on my tail end after a few dozen miles.
Awesome, thanks for the input.

The following users liked this post:
TStephen (03-13-2018)

Quick Reply: DK Custom Ironhead build - Photo Heavy