Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mustang seat, that big of a difference?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 03:51 PM
Lightngsvt
Road Captain
Received 75 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Mustang seat, that big of a difference?

So I have been really close to trading the Sporty in for a larger bike because Im just not real comfortable on it. At 25 miles I start to get uncomfortable, by 35-40 Im squirming and by 50 I have to get off the bike for a while. I rode both a Heritgae Classic and Street Glide for 20 miles each and didnt feel like I had even been on either for more than a minute or 2, the difference was astounding. Now I know many people have ridden their Sporty's on cross country trips etc so Im not trying to knock our bikes in anyway. But Im just wondering if a good seat would make a big enough difference that I would actually be comfortable on and possibly keep this bike?

Old 06-07-2007, 04:09 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts
Default RE: Mustang seat, that big of a difference?

I don't have the Mustang but can tell you I was damn uncomfortable on the stock seat after 50 miles. I don't have any problem now doing 8-10 hours with my Sundowner.

Old 06-07-2007, 04:10 PM
gilmour68
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I think you owe it to yourself to try another seat before trading in your ride. I didn't have a problem with the stock seat (at first) but my passenger complained from the start...Picked up a Sundowner and it made a big difference for both myself and the passenger. There are many other types of aftermarket seats available that will be an improvement over stock. There's only so much a seat will do to, the suspension plays a role in the smoothness ofthe ride as well...That being said, I'm considering Progressive shocks as my next upgrade. Tired of bottoming out even with the stock shocks set to 5 (highest setting)...

Old 06-07-2007, 04:17 PM
drum412
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For me the mustang vintage standard did make a world of difference. Like you i'd be squirming after a while followed by needing to take a break. Now I can ride hours on end and feel fine. Might be worth trying a new seat first. I'm not sure if your looking at new bikes or used bikes, but if your looking at used bikes, try the seat first, and if it doesn't work out, go for a bigger bike in the fall when you'll have a better chance of finding a better deal on them.

Old 06-07-2007, 05:03 PM
kevinhdy
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Before I got my Mustang seat I read all the posts. it sounded like I'd be buying a cloud to sit on, the ultimate in comfort. It wasn't that way. My seat is not like a plush cloud, it's just a seat. It's very firm, and you don't really notice that it's comfortable when you sit on it. You don't really notice it at all sitting on it. Not after 10 minutes, and not after 3 hours. THAT is the best thing about the Mustang, you can ride a long time on one. it's not that they are so comfortable, it's that they don't hurt your butt. (I have pics in my gallery with the seat on)

Old 06-07-2007, 05:38 PM
Lightngsvt
Road Captain
Received 75 Likes on 16 Posts

And thats the problem with the stock seat, it is really a pain in the a$$! Literally...

Has anyone else noticed their stock suspension will bottom out even riding solo? Well, Im not sure mine bottoms out but it is very soft and I can compress the fornt or rear by hand, I couldnt do that on the new 07 OSftails or touring models I looked at. Im not skinny, but I still only weigh 200lbs the bike should be able to handle that with ease.

Old 06-07-2007, 05:39 PM
thundergod
Tourer

you will not be disapointed with the mustang my vintage wide is the shiznit.

Old 06-07-2007, 05:48 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

ORIGINAL: Lightngsvt

Well, Im not sure mine bottoms out but it is very soft and I can compress the fornt or rear by hand, I couldnt do that on the new 07 OSftails or touring models I looked at. Im not skinny, but I still only weigh 200lbs the bike should be able to handle that with ease.
A set of Progressive 412s in the rear and Progressive fork springs up front will fix that. At 200 lbs go for the Progressive 412 Heavy Duty shocks vs the 412 standard. My .02

Old 06-07-2007, 05:51 PM
MacAttack
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Beware the new-bike effect The BT might not ride better once it becomes the old bike! I'm looking at seats, shocks, and fork springs myself though...

Old 06-07-2007, 06:00 PM
TJ Willy
Tourer

ORIGINAL: drum412

For me the mustang vintage standard did make a world of difference. Like you i'd be squirming after a while followed by needing to take a break. Now I can ride hours on end and feel fine. Might be worth trying a new seat first. I'm not sure if your looking at new bikes or used bikes, but if your looking at used bikes, try the seat first, and if it doesn't work out, go for a bigger bike in the fall when you'll have a better chance of finding a better deal on them.
^^^ This is sound advice. ^^^

Also there is a joint called Mean City Cycles CLICK HERE FOR SEAT MOD who reshapes and fits your stock or otherwise seat. Good people over there with humble prices. Also great communication. I may have them rework my Mustang Vintage Wide with a little memory foam depending on how I like the seat. It should be here Friday.

EDIT: Called Allen, he only works on stock seats. Too bad... I would love my Mustang reworked to lower me back down a bit and add some memory foam.

Quick Reply: Mustang seat, that big of a difference?