Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Compact 18" windshield (Quick Release)

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2017, 10:10 PM
razorseal
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Compact 18" windshield (Quick Release)

Hey guys,

so I went on a ride with few Street Glide and Roadkingers and the way up (Leesburg Bike Fest) wasn't too bad...

On the way back though, we had some headwind and it was one of the worst experiences I had on a bike. It was no longer enjoyable, but a horrible experience where I could not wait to get home. Really ruins the fun of riding. This bike gets little tough to ride after 70. We were doing about 80 the whole time.

I have the HD homologated helmet (Shark evo helmet) which is pretty big, so I'm like a giant airbrake...

Anyways, I found a compact HD QD shield on ebay for 150 bucks and I was thinking of trying it, but alot of people complaing about buffeting or not working for them if they're tall... I'm not sure how tall, so I figured I ask and see what people hae to say.

I don't really want to spend over 150, but want to also enjoy my ride if it's on the highway. QD is a must. I don't want the shield unless I'm on the highway for a longer distance.

I measured myself just now and I'm right around 18-19" mark...

Thanks!

PS - I found Cee Bailey's from another thread here and looking at them now too.

Last edited by razorseal; 06-08-2017 at 10:30 PM.
Old 06-09-2017, 03:35 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Wink

I've been riding behind fairings and windshields for over 50 years now. I can assure you that the slipstream takes the shortest cut when we put something in the way of it! So a decent sized one is essential for comfort. On my SuperLow I have an H-D qd shield, the 18" one, probably the same as the one you mention. Frankly I'm very happy with it and it is fine up to around 90mph - I seldom go any faster on that bike. It can be adjusted up and down the forks a little, so hopefully will accomodate any difference in seated height between you and I.

Old 06-09-2017, 05:57 AM
harleyrider4300
Tourer

Received 100 Likes on 66 Posts

I agree a good fit on a windshield is critical. I took the hardware from a hd windshield and then had a company in st Augustine make the plexi glass in the shape and height I wanted and attached it to the hd hardware. They charged 195 and it took approximately 3 hrs to do. Great results. Could not be happier. I ride at interstate speeds frequently, I use a 3/4 helmet and I can ride with visor in the up position with no turbulence from windshield. I easily see over windshield.

Old 06-09-2017, 07:36 AM
hexnut
Banned
Received 224 Likes on 176 Posts

I got the quick release Harley 14 inch wind shield. Works great. I don't leave home without it.

Old 06-09-2017, 10:43 AM
razorseal
Cruiser

Thanks guys. I will give the 18" one a try. I'll have to take off the little visor for my headlight but oh well. I wonder if I take a dremel (or something else to cut it? jig saw?) to make room for the little headlight visor.

Last edited by razorseal; 06-09-2017 at 10:47 AM.
Old 06-09-2017, 10:51 AM
grbrown
Club Member

Originally Posted by razorseal
Thanks guys. I will give the 18" one a try. I'll have to take off the little visor for my headlight but oh well. I wonder if I take a dremel (or something else to cut it? jig saw?) to make room for the little headlight visor.
Which little visor? Tell us more - I can't imagine you have to do anything except clip it on, also can't see anything in your photo that is going to get in the way.

Old 06-09-2017, 10:54 AM
hexnut
Banned
Received 224 Likes on 176 Posts

I did not have to remove mine. You don't have to on this windshield.
https://www.harley-davidson.com/stor...-20-5806304--1

Last edited by hexnut; 06-09-2017 at 11:21 AM.
Old 06-09-2017, 03:35 PM
LoneWoolf
Stellar HDF Member
Received 714 Likes on 488 Posts

Respectfully, I don't care what kind of windshield you put on your bike. Cruising at 80 will not be a pleasant experience. If your two hot shot buddies need to roll like that when someone in the group is on an 883, let them go ahead. Ride your own ride, not your buddies ride.

Obviously, if you have forwards and apes, it only makes it worse.

I can ride my 883 Iron up to 70mph and put down some miles. Full face helmet with ear plugs, medium/tall tank bag that cuts the chest wind blast, and the tank bag also gives you something to lean your chest on for a bit of a tuck position.

Old 06-09-2017, 05:27 PM
grbrown
Club Member

As I've already said, my SuperLow is happy up to around 90mph. I also wear FF and ear plugs, it's the only way to travel!

Old 06-09-2017, 09:43 PM
razorseal
Cruiser

Originally Posted by LoneWoolf
Respectfully, I don't care what kind of windshield you put on your bike. Cruising at 80 will not be a pleasant experience. If your two hot shot buddies need to roll like that when someone in the group is on an 883, let them go ahead. Ride your own ride, not your buddies ride.

Obviously, if you have forwards and apes, it only makes it worse.

I can ride my 883 Iron up to 70mph and put down some miles. Full face helmet with ear plugs, medium/tall tank bag that cuts the chest wind blast, and the tank bag also gives you something to lean your chest on for a bit of a tuck position.
I think the forwards ands apes will make it better for me. the stock is too low and hurts my back. I need about 8 inches up to make my arms comfortable. the mids are horrible too. I just put forwards and I'm very happy. Everyone that puts the mini apes have nothing but good things to say for comfort.

I'm talking about this visor thing (stock image from google, but you can see it above the headlight)

Quick Reply: Compact 18" windshield (Quick Release)