Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Post First Problem, rattle can syndrome!

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2017, 06:56 AM
GFURM
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation First Post First Problem, rattle can syndrome!

Hoping I am posting this in the right place and thank you to everyone in advance for any advice! I recently picked up an 03 1200C Anniversary edition. After a few minor cosmetics and a new AC, I had it where I wanted it. My latest purchase was a Joker Machine speedo relocate, I installed it by releasing the pinch bolts on the triple trees then jacked up the bike so the fork slid out enough for me to slide on the mount around the left fork. I then lowered the bike and tightened the pinch bolts back up, market where they sat originally so put them right back to that. I take it on the road to test and holy crap the vibration in the bars is unbearable! I am also running Biltwell slimline risers and Z bars butnhad them for a while and never noticed an excessive amount of vinbration until now.

Any ideas of where I might have gone wrong? I'm having a couple buddies that have sporties ride it to make sure I'm not trying to fix a standard issue problem for the pre-rubber mounted Sporties! Dying to get her runnin smooth again.

Thanks so much everyone.

Old 06-08-2017, 07:05 AM
hexnut
Banned
Received 224 Likes on 176 Posts

Moving something that didn't need moving..sorry

The following users liked this post:
GFURM (06-08-2017)
Old 06-08-2017, 07:25 AM
GFURM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by hexnut
Moving something that didn't need moving..sorry
It was purchased with no speedo and no mount, you might be right about moving something that shouldn't be moved but the whole reason I got a Sporty was so I can truly make it my own. Styles I like, using parts from reputable companies (that aren't cheap!!!) but I get what you are saying, I'm going to pull the kit off and take it for a run see if it's better.

Cheers!

Old 06-08-2017, 08:19 AM
felis
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by GFURM
....I installed it by releasing the pinch bolts on the triple trees then jacked up the bike so the fork slid out enough for me to slide on the mount around the left fork. I then lowered the bike and tightened the pinch bolts back up, market where they sat originally so put them right back to that.....

When you loosened the upper pinch bolts, if the forks turned any little bit,
the alignment with the axle, brakes/discs, and so on will be off.

If you have a manual, follow the procedure, and the order of tightening, when working with the forks.
Basically, everything remains slightly loose till everything is aligned right, and then tightened in a specific order.
Don't have the manual right here, but they pretty much spell it all out for you.

Old 06-08-2017, 09:26 AM
GFURM
Intermediate
Thumbs up Thank you!!

Originally Posted by felis

If you have a manual, follow the procedure, and the order of tightening, when working with the forks.
Basically, everything remains slightly loose till everything is aligned right, and then tightened in a specific order.
Don't have the manual right here, but they pretty much spell it all out for you.
I do have the manual and will now follow, it seemed so damn straight forward that I didn't even think to consult, lesson learned, I will take everything apart and try again, thanks for the advice!

Cheers,

Gary

Old 06-08-2017, 12:59 PM
TStephen
Road Warrior
Received 299 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by felis

Uh. No.
Lower fork tubes rotate on their own, the axle is what aligns the wheel with the forks.

The following 3 users liked this post by TStephen:
GFURM (06-08-2017), kap1 (06-16-2017), Yamaharley (06-08-2017)
Old 06-08-2017, 02:38 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,640 Likes on 3,061 Posts

When you say "vibration," are you talking engine or wheel/rotor spinning vibration?

GFURM (06-08-2017)
Old 06-08-2017, 09:06 PM
GFURM
Intermediate
Default Vibration

Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ
When you say "vibration," are you talking engine or wheel/rotor spinning vibration?
I am talking an intense vibration in the handlebars specifically, the bike is shaky as is but only until now, after I had dropped the forks and put them back into the trees, has it started REALLY vibrate, I am talking violent hand numbing vibration and only when riding. Idling, its the normal shakes on the road its bad.

Thanks!

Old 06-08-2017, 09:07 PM
GFURM
Intermediate
Default Alignmnet

Originally Posted by TStephen
Uh. No.
Lower fork tubes rotate on their own, the axle is what aligns the wheel with the forks.
If one fork is sitting a millimeter taller than the other, would it cause this excessive vibration?

Old 06-08-2017, 09:26 PM
Yamaharley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 545 Likes on 421 Posts

Use a scissor jack under the frame to relieve pressure and even up the tips of the tubes. They need to be pretty spot on. The lowers spin so the wheel should be fine. Check all the bolts you had to loosen for the relocation kit.

GFURM (06-09-2017)

Quick Reply: First Post First Problem, rattle can syndrome!