Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Post First Problem, rattle can syndrome!

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 03:06 PM
felis
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by hexnut
Some body stole your turn signals.
Front fender too.

Old 06-09-2017, 03:29 PM
TStephen
Road Warrior
Received 299 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by GFURM
If one fork is sitting a millimeter taller than the other, would it cause this excessive vibration?
It would put torque on the axle a little but I don't think that minor of a difference would be noticeable.

But get your height exactly right anyway.

The following users liked this post:
GFURM (06-09-2017)
Old 06-09-2017, 03:36 PM
GFURM
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TStephen
It would put torque on the axle a little but I don't think that minor of a difference would be noticeable.

But get your height exactly right anyway.
SO...new development, I evened out the forks, dead on, still vibrating but I've noticed something I didnt before, I took it out and hit about 45-50 and closed throttle completely, my bars waddled a tiny bit while decelerating...like a balance or alignment type of wobble.

Appointment is set for Monday but I AM going to re-do all my work again over the weekend. Those that are following and giving good advice (everyone so far) thank you so much.

Cheers guys have a great weekend

Old 06-09-2017, 03:51 PM
TStephen
Road Warrior
Received 299 Likes on 258 Posts

A front fender missing can contribute to any wheel vibration or balance issues being amplified.
Also any discrepancies from one fork to another are amplified as well.
The fender acts as a brace and provides stability, if you're going to ride without a fender, put a brace on it.

(wait for someone to pitch in about not having a fender for 85 years and never had an issue )

Nice looking bike BTW.

The following users liked this post:
GFURM (06-09-2017)
Old 06-09-2017, 03:56 PM
GFURM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TStephen
A front fender missing can contribute to any wheel vibration or balance issues being amplified.
Also any discrepancies from one fork to another are amplified as well.
The fender acts as a brace and provides stability, if you're going to ride without a fender, put a brace on it.

(wait for someone to pitch in about not having a fender for 85 years and never had an issue )

Nice looking bike BTW.
Hah! Thanks, I have the fender handy and it goes on when I go highway but stays off when I'm cruisin locally at low speeds, I am one of the fortunate ones where the fender isn't making a difference in vibration (at least for the past 2 months). This definitely has something to do with my releasing the pinch bolts and dropping the forks, I DID turn the forks while trying to position them at the same height, the first go around, but I've read and been told that it wouldn't affect anything, even the manual says to twist the fork to set the height!

I will look into a brace in lieu of the fender though, anything to make it better is worth it, thanks for the advice and kind words about the bike!

Old 06-15-2017, 07:01 PM
felis
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by GFURM
Appointment is set for Monday but I AM going to re-do all my work again over the weekend. Those that are following and giving good advice (everyone so far) thank you so much.

Cheers guys have a great weekend

Hey GFURM - how about an update on your problem after the appointment.
Did they find anything?

Old 06-16-2017, 08:42 AM
kap1
Road Captain
Received 113 Likes on 86 Posts

I wouldn't loosen just one side and retighten after installation. I would have loosened both sides and re-torqued both sides bolts--but that's just me. It wouldn't hurt to loosen up the whole front and realign and torque everything in the called for order. Of course, it could just be a coincidence and not have anything to do with what you did. Something just happened to show up after you finished and doesn't have anything at all to do with your farkle addition.

Old 06-20-2017, 12:06 PM
GFURM
Intermediate

Quick update, had the techs take a ride and inspect the front end, they trued up the spokes and looked at everything else, told me the bike was in tip top shape and that the rubber bushings might be contributing to the vibration (on top of the the rigid mount motor). Said to replace with new bushings and it could help a bit, otherwise, just hold on and enjoy the ride lol.

Then this morning, I find out that a chunk of the foam filter element was just sucked into my carb....it was a brand new Drag Specialties Bob AC, literally chunk of it gone somewhere into my carb! If its not one thing its another...! I have an appointment for tomorrow to replace clutch cable, and perform a full service.

Old 06-30-2017, 01:49 PM
GFURM
Intermediate

Bike is back, tuned and good as new.

While they where combing through it, they saw that when the last person removed forward controls, they took with it the motor mount. They put the motor mount on, replaced clutch and choke cables, did a 5k full service, and tuned my carb, this thing is crazy fast now. I cant believe it, totally different bike. Needless to say, those problems are gone.

Tech told me that the chunk of foam probably just got blown out of the exhaust, no biggie. Returned it to revzilla and replaced it with Arlen Ness Big Sucker2.

Thanks everyone!