Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Female New Rider

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 08:03 PM
felis
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

The tu250 weighs 326 lbs. The Sportsters are in the 550 range.

It'll be a big difference, but don't let it scare you off. You'll most likely be fine with it.
I'd say go try one first, with the idea that it'll be a bike you'll grow in to.

Old 05-31-2017, 08:09 PM
BuzzCap7
Club Member
Received 18,572 Likes on 10,771 Posts

Originally Posted by Melissa Ashley
I'm looking at getting and 883 as my first bike. I love the look and older used models are within my price range. Friends have concerns about the weight and maneuverability of me on one. I'm 5'7" (all legs so I don't even have to worry about getting a low, I can still get my feet flat)130lbs and in decent shape. I just passed my MSF course on a Suzuki tu250 and did have some issues with slow tight maneuvering but considering I've never grabbed handle bars before I learned quick. Is the 883 a decent first bike to learn on even if I spend some quality time in a parking lot first?
Congrats. This is a bit off topic but I always suggest taking the Advanced Course asap and definitely getting this DVD. Click HERE. <-- It is the BEST motorcycle related thing you can do. I swear by it.

BuzzCap7

Old 05-31-2017, 08:14 PM
TStephen
Road Warrior
Received 299 Likes on 258 Posts

Learn on the bike you want to ride. Take it slow, and PLEASE wear your seatbelt!!

Old 05-31-2017, 08:28 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 276 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by Melissa Ashley
I'm looking at getting and 883 as my first bike. I love the look and older used models are within my price range. Friends have concerns about the weight and maneuverability of me on one. I'm 5'7" (all legs so I don't even have to worry about getting a low, I can still get my feet flat)130lbs and in decent shape. I just passed my MSF course on a Suzuki tu250 and did have some issues with slow tight maneuvering but considering I've never grabbed handle bars before I learned quick. Is the 883 a decent first bike to learn on even if I spend some quality time in a parking lot first?
Welcome to the forum. Please skip the Sportster. Learning to ride through a formal training class with rider training is wise. Buy a Dyna and learn this bike. Practice on it, stay off the front brake a slow speed. Practice.

Old 05-31-2017, 08:34 PM
morleyz
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by checkers
Welcome to the forum. Please skip the Sportster. Learning to ride through a formal training class with rider training is wise. Buy a Dyna and learn this bike. Practice on it, stay off the front brake a slow speed. Practice.
Why? For the extra $5K MSRP and another 100lbs of curb weight? Is there some sort of flaw in the Sportsters that will kill off all the new riders?

Old 05-31-2017, 08:36 PM
Sammy1200N
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Everyone is different. I recommend a Rebel or something like that for a couple months. You can sell it for what you paid for it. When you drop it you won't cry. Depending on what your goals are you might quickly out grow the 883 and want something bigger.

Old 05-31-2017, 09:11 PM
hexnut
Banned
Received 224 Likes on 176 Posts

When some one wants a Sportster I cant help but laugh when people tell them what they should spend there money on.

The following users liked this post:
Ratwerke (05-31-2017)
Old 05-31-2017, 09:15 PM
JesseDyna
Road Warrior
Received 315 Likes on 229 Posts

A first bike should be one that one wouldn't mind (too much) if it took a dive, dropped in the driveway, got a chip or ding. A Sportster can do all that. My suggestion - add an engine guard (highway bars).

Old 05-31-2017, 09:36 PM
TStephen
Road Warrior
Received 299 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by checkers
You're in the wrong forum.

Old 05-31-2017, 09:43 PM
felis
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Several thoughts on the posts here.

I've had big twins and like the Sportsters much better.

If you want a Sportster, I wouldn't start over again with something like a Rebel.
You want to become familiar with a bike to the point that everything becomes second nature, where it seems natural without even thinking about it.
Developing a relationship with a bike (or a specific line of bike) will do that.

And I agree with JesseDyna - although it's not something you should focus on,
even very experienced riders can drop a bike.
If you buy a used Sportster in very good shape, if you drop it, it will be less trauma
than dropping a new one.
And while I think engine guards look a bit dorky, they can protect your investment while you're learning, and you can always take it off later if you choose to.

Quick Reply: Female New Rider