Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EXTRA KEY

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 06:50 PM
eno50
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EXTRA KEY

HELLO,
I just called a dealership to enquire about getting an extra key made,and the guy told me that i would have to bring in my reg and drivers licence and my bike to verifi the vin # and ownership and then
they would send that info to harley and harley would make my set of keys (must buy two) it may take a week for the keys to come back... Wow that sucks good thing i did not loose my
key..
I see key blanks on ebay can you just buy some blanks and go to a local locksmith?
I have been to a local hardware store that makes keys but they did not find a blank that
matched..
ENO50

Old 06-06-2007, 07:48 PM
Lickety Split
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: EXTRA KEY

Thats crazy, Did you have your key they could copy off of. I wouldn't think there would be a problem as long as you had the original key. Maybe try another dealer if not buy a blank and take it to the hardware store.

Old 06-06-2007, 08:20 PM
valveguide
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have seen spares on ebay , don't know if they are your year though. Any locksmith will be able to dupe it.

Old 06-06-2007, 08:27 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

B.S. There was a vendor at the TN State HOG rally last week that was making duplicate keys. For the flat type Sportster key, I think the cost was $5.00. The round keys were a bit more.

Old 06-07-2007, 02:09 PM
DoctorZombie
6th Gear

When I got my Spory, I immediately ran down to my local locksmith and he cut me a backup key on the spot. Cost me $3.75 total.

So what if it doesn't say Harley on it...

Old 06-07-2007, 02:17 PM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Interesting...
I think that key is just a regular key, any lock smith can cut it. I compare the key side by side with my tool box key, the exact same style.

Old 06-07-2007, 02:24 PM
sleepneagle
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

HD does that to insure you are the owner and not just wanting a key. It's a hassle but a good thing. Do you have any idea of how many HD's are stolen? Harley has helped in the recover of many bikes. every year at Sturgis, Daytona, etc. bikes are recovered that have been missing for 2 - 3 years and more.

Old 06-08-2007, 01:18 AM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: sleepneagle

HD does that to insure you are the owner and not just wanting a key. It's a hassle but a good thing. Do you have any idea of how many HD's are stolen? Harley has helped in the recover of many bikes. every year at Sturgis, Daytona, etc. bikes are recovered that have been missing for 2 - 3 years and more.
If you were trying to steel the bike, why wouldn't you just steel it when you had the key which you were trying to get copied? Did I miss something here??

As far as recovering bikes 2 - 3 years after the fact.....I guess the insurance companies are happy about that.

Old 06-08-2007, 10:08 AM
Tiggeresq
Advanced

HD can probably fabricate a key with the VIN number alone - you wouldn't need an original key to make an extra set through the moco. and they aren't going to do it unless you can prove it's your bike. Good for them.

Old 06-08-2007, 10:25 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

One of the first things I did when I got the bike, with 2 HD keys, was go to the local locksmith and get a third one made, without the rubber coating, for $3.75. It's small enough to keep it tucked in my wallet just in case I loose the primary key while on the road. Why risk the hassel of having to go to the dealer and dealing with the VIN crap?

Quick Reply: EXTRA KEY