Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EXTRA KEY

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 10:48 AM
RICOB1
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: EXTRA KEY

Go to Ace Hardware, they usually have the blanks. Very cheap for an extra key!

Old 06-08-2007, 11:42 AM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: Tiggeresq

HD can probably fabricate a key with the VIN number alone - you wouldn't need an original key to make an extra set through the moco. and they aren't going to do it unless you can prove it's your bike. Good for them.
That I can understand, but the original post was to get an extra key. Inferring he already has 1 key to the bike, and just wants another in case he looses the 1 he has. Shouldn't need a VIN # in that case.

Old 06-08-2007, 02:23 PM
scotchrick05
Cruiser

I always get ****ed over on moto key copies. Guess my hardware store guys are retards.

Old 06-08-2007, 03:27 PM
Tiggeresq
Advanced

True, true. But Harley is not going to cut him another key, they will make a set according to the VIN#. So no matter what the situation is, we need to prove ownership before getting new keys from Harley.
But you're right about the original question . . . [sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 06-11-2007, 03:04 AM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 558 Likes on 405 Posts

ORIGINAL: SportyPig

ORIGINAL: sleepneagle

HD does that to insure you are the owner and not just wanting a key. It's a hassle but a good thing. Do you have any idea of how many HD's are stolen? Harley has helped in the recover of many bikes. every year at Sturgis, Daytona, etc. bikes are recovered that have been missing for 2 - 3 years and more.
If you were trying to steel the bike, why wouldn't you just steel it when you had the key which you were trying to get copied? Did I miss something here??

As far as recovering bikes 2 - 3 years after the fact.....I guess the insurance companies are happy about that.
Maybe the dealer thought he was bringing in the key number and not a key to copy? On Jap bikes you can buy a key if you have the number. I think that is how someonetook my Kawasaki H1 back in 1971. I parked at the same place every day, while attending UNLV, and the number was stamped on the bike. That day I was running late for class and didn't take time to put my securitry chain through the wheel. Never did that again. I don't know if Harleys have a key number.

Old 06-11-2007, 08:28 AM
x2lee
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Blinded by logic....

ORIGINAL: SportyPig
If you were trying to steel the bike, why wouldn't you just steel it when you had the key which you were trying to get copied? Did I miss something here??

As far as recovering bikes 2 - 3 years after the fact.....I guess the insurance companies are happy about that.

Old 06-11-2007, 11:05 AM
flibuoy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

A good locksmith...not Wally World kinda place...can cut a duplicate flat key. I have done it on 2 bikes. They can make it big, small, black, colored, square round or oval etc. The round key from the BTs cannot be made here locally but HD did make dups for me in total of 6 days with little tag that comes with original keys. If you are buying a used BT I would check with owner as it saves hassle, time and $ if you have the little tag. John

Old 06-11-2007, 01:55 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

A Bic pen works just fine and is only 39 cents....

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...lock&hl=en

I tried it on my bike and it worked. There was a little more to it than just removing the plug from the pen. I had to cut it in 4 places. I learned that info from the internet, also.

Old 06-11-2007, 02:11 PM
TonyVT
Tourer

A couple of weeks ago I had my local dealer order an extra pair of keys for my 1200C. My dealer ordered the keys from HD and they arrived earlier in the week. When I stopped by to pick them up I was surprised to see that the price for the 2 keys was $22.

Old 07-12-2007, 06:31 PM
scrappy883r
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: eno50
Wow that sucks good thing i did not loose my
key..
I lost my key yesterday when I was out. This morning I called locksmiths around this area and they wouldn't do it. Soooo I had to go to the local dealer and order 2 keys for my bike. My bike will be parked for 7 days[:@]

Quick Reply: EXTRA KEY