Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

89 sportster drive belt sprocket soacers

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2017, 09:28 PM
Jon.alvarez4
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 89 sportster drive belt sprocket soacers

ive got an 89 sporty that's been converted to the drive belt. Im noticing that about 3/8" or so of the belt is hanging towards the inside of the front sprocket but sitting flush on the rear. I've also got a 180 rear tire so the belt maybe has a hair of clearance which is why I think it broke recently. I'm wondering if there's some way I can put a spacer on the rear pulley to bring it out more and make the front line up better and get it away from the tire. Thanks

Old 05-26-2017, 04:09 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,864 Likes on 2,428 Posts

Take a close look at your bike and the clearance between the rear pulley and swingarm. On a stock bike that is not very much. It would be wise to avoid the pulley hitting the swingarm, so the max thickness of spacer you can use is less than that gap. I suspect that if you use a spacer you won't get much extra clearance. I've been round this challenge with my modified Glide!

Having said that we need to know a bit more about your bike! To get a 180 tyre in suggests you have a non-stock rear wheel, also a wider than stock rear fender. If your belt broke it may simply be that it was very old. Current Harleys use a narrow 1" belt, so what width do you currently have?

Old 05-26-2017, 05:13 AM
Jon.alvarez4
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It's modified..

you're right. It's got different spokes wheels. I think it's a 1" or like a 1 3/8 I can't remember for sure. It's in the shop right now getting the stator and clutch basket replaced. The guy I got it from sAys he thinks it's a v-rod rear end but I don't see it.. it does have wideglide forks on a good rake though and it's been chopped at the back end. This is the only pic I got of the back side for now..

Old 05-26-2017, 06:04 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,864 Likes on 2,428 Posts
Cool

I've got a 1 1/8" wide Sportster belt on my Glide, so I suspect by the look of your bike that is the size you have there. Later Sporties have a 1" belt. If your belt is hanging off the inner edge of your front pulley that sounds a little alarming! It also suggests that whoever did the conversion wasn't doing things quite right. I suspect he's used a spaced-out front pulley with too much offset, but it is possible there are more suitable pulleys available.

As for using a spacer on the rear wheel, I've just checked my Sporty and the pulley to swingarm clearance isn't big enough to bother to measure! It's around 1/8" and not enough to allow any more than a 1/16" spacer. Measure yours, but if your clearance is similar it might be worth doing to improve tyre clearance, but isn't going to do much to improve the front pulley problem.

When you get your bike back it is worth checking wheel alignment, which can affect the belt run. To reduce or eliminate the overhang the wheel will need to be adjusted towards the belt, which is obviously not possible due to lack of clearance. If the rear wheel is pointing away from the belt then we have at least got an explanation for both lack of tyre clearance and the belt overhang. It would also be worth asking the opinion of your local shop, as they can inspect it in the flesh, so to speak, while we can only offer suggestions.

Old 05-26-2017, 09:49 AM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

You also might be able to have a machine shop remove some material from the back of the front pulley so it sits in closer to the transmission, space permitting of course.
Also just thinking...have you checked the rear wheel alignment? If the front of the wheel is facing slightly to the left it might encourage the belt to track to the left on the front pulley.

Last edited by HOTLAP; 05-26-2017 at 09:52 AM.