Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Airbrushing amatuer

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 10:41 PM
daddycoolj
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airbrushing amatuer

Well I just got my first ever airbrush . It is a paasche vls with 3 tip sizes. Granted I have never held one before in my life and I lack real artist skills. But I have been studying the true fire technique and the many layers of paint that is required for an accurate rendition of a tru fire look. I purchased the tru fire paint set from (HOK) House of Color and a 20 pack of standard colors to play with.
I actually painted a not so great skull on my second try but it is definitely trashable and not gallery display work.
Most of the tru fire paint jobs are usually done on a black background and was wondering if anyone has an idea how these flames will look on a yellow pearl base(Factory Paint). I am afraid the yellows needed to highlight the flames might be less than adequate on the pearl yellow base. Any thoughts or any one else that has done this on a lighter than usual background color.
I guess i can always lay down a grey to black smoke as a base for the flames and try to give the job look as if it is really burning smoke and all. I know I still need a few months to try and become adequate at attempting such a huge undertaking.
also for the real painters out there is ther a way to basically just clear coat over the art or will the whole tank and fenders need to be cleared for consistency.

This really looks dooable with some serious practice. any one else try similar things from a teach yourself method
Thanks Jim

Old 06-05-2007, 10:49 PM
wannahdawg
Road Captain
Default RE: Airbrushing amatuer

well i have the vl. and it's definitely a 'practice makes perfect'. flames will get easier real quick but the skulls and things are really hard. good luck. and i would go with clearing the whole thing.

later,

wanna

ps keep us updated on your progress.

Old 06-05-2007, 10:51 PM
shooter64
Former Sponsor
Default RE: Airbrushing amatuer

I will tell you this, if you learn to airbrush, charge a fair price, and actually can read a calendar and comprehend what the dates mean that you give out, move to Arkansas and I will make you rich. I swear the next project bike I build, I am going to just grind the metal, write on the back fender "PAINTERS SUCK" and clear over the whole bike. I do not understand why three weeks means three weeks to everyone but painters...and the pool guy that is in my backyard for the duration it seems.