Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer BS strikes again

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 07:50 PM
TestFlyer
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer BS strikes again

so I wander into my local HD dealer this past weekend to buy an oil filter. The guy behind the counter asked me if I need oil. I respectfully say no. So he won't quit and asks me what I use for oil. I tell him I use Mobil 1 20-50 V Twin synthetic. The kid rolls his eyes, shakes his head and snickers. I make the mistake of asking him why he's acting stupid, in so many words.

He breaks into this long story of how Harley "makes their own oil" and references some experiment where a Buell w/ HD oil outlasted something that had "off brand" oil - I wasnt really listening.

Makes me wonder where they get these so called "pros" from at these dealerships. These are the people wrenching MY machine???

Old 06-05-2007, 08:02 PM
valveguide
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Dealer BS strikes again

All I know is that the deli ham is better than the shrink wrapped stuff.

I think change often and it don't really matter.

Old 06-05-2007, 08:04 PM
randy78045
Big Kahuna HDF Member

HD just buys the cheapest stuff they can find and brands it HD.... Mobile One rocks...

Old 06-05-2007, 10:20 PM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 53 Posts

"The Guy Behind The Counter" should be your first hing. You weren't dealing with "One Of The Harley Pros." You were dealing with an $8.00 an hour Harley employee who is trained to sell Harley Products. What did you expect him to tell you?
ORIGINAL: TestFlyer

so I wander into my local HD dealer this past weekend to buy an oil filter. The guy behind the counter asked me if I need oil. I respectfully say no. So he won't quit and asks me what I use for oil. I tell him I use Mobil 1 20-50 V Twin synthetic. The kid rolls his eyes, shakes his head and snickers. I make the mistake of asking him why he's acting stupid, in so many words.

He breaks into this long story of how Harley "makes their own oil" and references some experiment where a Buell w/ HD oil outlasted something that had "off brand" oil - I wasnt really listening.

Makes me wonder where they get these so called "pros" from at these dealerships. These are the people wrenching MY machine???

Old 06-05-2007, 10:31 PM
randy78045
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Let's face it, there's a whole lot of stealerships out there...

Old 06-05-2007, 11:15 PM
propflux01
Road Master
Veteran: Air Force
Received 274 Likes on 175 Posts

Next time just tell him: "Do they? Well, explain to me then why the syn 3 is only a Hydrocracked Group 3 oil with a weak additive package instead of a more robust Group 4 or 5, or even an Ester-based oil?"..Then watch the dogs head turn sideways and give you that 'huh' look...!

Old 06-05-2007, 11:23 PM
x2lee
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Only if you let them.

ORIGINAL: TestFlyer

Old 06-05-2007, 11:29 PM
x2lee
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dino oil turns to tar at 250 degrees. So if your bike ever runs hot,
It damned sure matters. I hear a lot of run this , run that, dont run syn , run dino.
I run amsoil and I dont worry about tar in my engine. Maybe if you live up North or where it never gets hot it may not matter but here it gets 120 degrees on the blacktop in summer. Add that to 160 + engine tempsand slow moving traffic, why take a chence on tearing up your investment?
Amsoil, Its just the best....

and deli ham? dont even get me started!
ORIGINAL: valveguide

All I know is that the deli ham is better than the shrink wrapped stuff.

I think change often and it don't really matter.

Old 06-05-2007, 11:33 PM
Wolhar
Banned
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: x2lee

dino oil turns to tar at 250 degrees.
Not exactly

Old 06-05-2007, 11:45 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

"Harley makes their own oil"??? Harley designs and builds motorcycles, they don't have any oil refineries. I'm not positive, but all indications I've researched are that Harley oil is refined and purchase from Citgo, so unlessthe President of Venezuela has bought out Harley-Davidson, I doubt this claim.

I know you weren't saying you bought that line of bull, I just thought I'd take the opporutinity to point out my understanding of the supplier of Harley lubricants.

I also use Mobile-1 V-twin. And even the guy & gal (she really knows her chit)at my sorry local stealership agree it's a better product.

Quick Reply: Dealer BS strikes again