Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer BS strikes again

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 11:17 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Dealer BS strikes again

Anymore when I go to a 'dealer' for any kind of parts, I have a list made out beforehand with the specific part numbers.

I just give it to the person behind the counter and tell them this is what I need.

Works everytime, and I never have anyone asking questions or trying to talk me into purchasing additional stuff.

Old 06-06-2007, 11:33 PM
mrsr71
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: OldFenderGuy

Anymore when I go to a 'dealer' for any kind of parts, I have a list made out beforehand with the specific part numbers.

I just give it to the person behind the counter and tell them this is what I need.

Works everytime, and I never have anyone asking questions or trying to talk me into purchasing additional stuff.

Me 2

Old 06-07-2007, 12:22 AM
Captain Morgan
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im curious too about the SYN3 oil. I just had my 1000 mile service done, I figured the synthetic oil was the best thing for it, I guess I was wrong. Should I say something to them about replacing the oil with something else? I dont want it being in there until my 5K checkup if its going to mess up the drivetrain.

I work at a HD dealer. The regular harley oil is very good. The Syn-3 is terrible. We are having many promblem with clutches slipping. Harley is also going to drop the syn-3 line and go AMS-OIL. I use the Mobil one syn. In my 2007 Nightster. If your going to use syn use the amsoil or mobil one. Don't let anyone out there fool you. Just to make money

Old 06-07-2007, 08:39 PM
TestFlyer
Tourer

No WarriorHD and EricM, the guy behind the counter wasnt 'doing his job' by trying to bullchit me. When he saw that I was on to the fact that there is no real reason to use Harley branded oil, he kept stretching to dig himself out of the BS he was feeding me.

I'm sure the Motor Company wouldnt expect their people to deal with owners who spend many thousands on their products only to be given BS advice by the supposed 'experts'.

I wanted an oil filter so I could go home and dump my old Mobil 1 and add fresh stuff, not to get sold on made-up theory he heard probly 5th hand.

I could care less how much the guy makes per hour, or the fact that he has a job - not sure what that has to do with him giving me a line of crap?

Old 06-07-2007, 09:28 PM
diablo666
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't buy my oil or filters at the dealer.I get that stuff at Advance auto parts.Most auto parts stores can get you that stuff if you ask.My dealer tried like hell to sell me a SE air cleaner when I bought my pipes.The guy said I had to.I said the hell I do I have done this before and know for a fact I can put on pipes without an air cleaner upgrade.He said you won't gain anything.I told him yes I will I just want louder pipes not more power.I did use syn 3 at the first change and it is still in the primary so I guess if clutch slippage is true I need to get it out of there.

Old 06-08-2007, 12:01 AM
EricM
Cruiser

Testflyer- Like I said I'm not condoning how he talked down to you. I was just trying to say you can't get mad at him for asking ONCE about needing oil. After that I agree he should drop it. I'm like you, I don't want to be hassled about stuff I don't want but again he shouldn't have talked crap to you. If it happens again go to the store manager and tell him you will take your business elsewhere it his workers keep talking down to customers.