Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer BS strikes again

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 01:38 AM
BentZero
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Dealer BS strikes again

The best revenge would be to find an article comparing HD oil to other oils, including yours, printing it out, placing it on his counter, and walk away without saying a word.

Old 06-06-2007, 07:34 AM
dbleagle
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

To Whom It May Concern..

Though it is true that dealerships have a line of bull... so does everyone else who sell to the public... it'snot justHarley...

Some people make posts from things they hear and take it as fact which may or may not be true...

I guess what I am saying here is, if you haven't done all the research yourself, I mean the real research... then I'd say you were shooting the same BS as those you are condeming...

Go figure...

Charlie D.

Old 06-06-2007, 09:47 AM
user 6397220
Banned

I work at a HD dealer. The regular harley oil is very good. The Syn-3 is terrible. We are having many promblem with clutches slipping. Harley is also going to drop the syn-3 line and go AMS-OIL. I use the Mobil one syn. In my 2007 Nightster. If your going to use syn use the amsoil or mobil one. Don't let anyone out there fool you. Just to make money

Old 06-06-2007, 10:42 AM
st john
Road Master
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Cliff_63, Do you have a time frame when this big oil change is going to take place?
I am very gullable to what you are saying because I saw what happened with the
Screamin Eagle line of products. Are they going to keep the SYN3 name but use
Ams-Oil as their new supplier?
[]Just a little more info please []

Saint

Old 06-06-2007, 11:17 AM
gmerr2
Cruiser

Terry1955 brings up a good point...I'm one of those "Guy Behind the Counter" types....just not at a HD dealership. I'm at a Ford dealership....and I am a professional 2nd generation Ford Master PartsCounterman....not just anyone can do this job and do it the right way,it's not easy... And I do prefer Motorcraft oils and chemicals, but not because Ford says so, but because I've used them and I think they're better than the average stuff you get at Walmart or Autozone....I've used the HD branded stuff on my bike since I got it, and it's been kinda hit or miss as to overall quality it seems, but it all has to comform to certain government standards as far a lubricants go. The difference is in the things added to them. That's what makes them whatever brand they are....you just have to sift through all the stuff you use to figure out what is good for you.

That being said, there are more and more dealerships (car, truck, or motorcycle) that do hire folks at an hourly rate and pay them crap. They hire kids that really don't know what they are doing, give them little to no training, andexpect to call them parts counterpeople. I have even heard of Ford reps going aroundtelling dealerships to get rid of "the high priced parts guys" and hire kidsstraight out of high school. Their reasoning being that it's all on computers and anyone can do it.But it doesn't matter if it's oncomputer, oron microfilm (which I learned to do when I was a kid), you have to know something about your product...you have to study....take classes....memorize lots of stuff....you have to be self motivated enough to take the time to do things right the first time.....but you see less and less of that in all dealerships of all kinds all over the country.....the days of the "professional" parts and service folks are numbered....and it's a darn shame...

Rev. George.....Chattanooga, TN

Old 06-06-2007, 12:18 PM
ZenDog
Advanced

I like the parts guy at the indy dealer that I went to recently. A grizzled older dude, about my age, with a beard and tattoos. It's never good to judge a book by it's cover, but you can just tell this guy knows what he's talking about. The stealership has all kids on the counter, their ability to use a computer can't compare with years of experience.

Old 06-06-2007, 10:01 PM
Crazy Biker
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I was behind the counter and you wanted an oil filter,that's all you would get. I don't understand why people can't mind there own business. What the f'k does he care what oil you use or all ready have. Next time tell him to F' off.

Old 06-06-2007, 10:16 PM
Dallastx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most likely the guy at the counter rides a 600cc Honda crotch rocket and plays the X-Box when not at work.

Old 06-06-2007, 10:32 PM
WarriorHD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sheeesh people..The guy behind the counter was just doing his job. All good sales people will offer other products when you purchase one.True he's mislead about Harley lubricants but again, it's what he sells for a living. Doesn't matter whether he makes 8 bucks an hour or $80k a year no reason to put the guy down. At least he's got a job and doing something worthwhile. If Iowned any dealership, I'd hate if my sales clerks were unfriendly creeps who did notoffer other products or services. On the otherhand, I'dalso hate if they were pushy with my customers but there is a fine line to be drawn here....

Old 06-06-2007, 10:55 PM
EricM
Cruiser

Warrior is right. Granted he should'nt have talked down to you about your choice of oils but what he is doing is called upselling. Any good salesman will make sure you have the other items that are associated with that product to make sure you didn't forget anything. I have worked at several places that promoted this. It's like when you go to a restaurant and they ask you if you want a starter, then when you are done they ask if you want dessert. Or working at a sports place and someone needs baseball bat. You ask them it they need a batting glove, some baseballs, a bag to carry the bat in. Just good business and good salemanship(if thats a word) Again, not condoning how the parts guy acted. The customer is always right. And if he isn't, respectfully attempt to show them the "light"

Quick Reply: Dealer BS strikes again