Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

no spark

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 04:06 PM
jeffneuf17
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default no spark

ok so my 97 883 has no spark. Ive replaced the ignition module, coil and igniton pickup. The only way i get spark for a second is my moving the ignition pickup around inside the cone on the cam cover. As you can tell i know very little about motorcycle repair. Thanks!

Old 05-08-2017, 09:11 PM
TStephen
Road Warrior
Received 299 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffneuf17
ok so my 97 883 has no spark. Ive replaced the ignition module, coil and igniton pickup. The only way i get spark for a second is my moving the ignition pickup around inside the cone on the cam cover. As you can tell i know very little about motorcycle repair. Thanks!
So you're getting intermittent spark when you rotate the pickup sensor?

Old 05-08-2017, 11:15 PM
jeffneuf17
Intermediate

yes when i rotate the pickup sensor, it will spark but when it sparks if i leave it there it wont spark again until i rotate it back and forth. sorry if im not explaining it well, like i said in the post im not very experienced in anything electrical

Old 05-09-2017, 12:21 AM
gearhead63
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have a digital voltmeter, and know how to use it?
If so, the factory service manual has a troubleshooting section on the ignition.
Help you narrow it down to a specific item.
Here's my manual if you don't have one.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/dugh4i...ice-Manual.rar

Old 05-09-2017, 09:04 AM
Scuba10jdl
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 209 Likes on 171 Posts

You don't check for spark by moving the module around. That's done at the spark plug cable turning over with the starter.

Get a manual and follow the steps to properly setup your ignition system, and THEN test for spark.

Old 05-09-2017, 12:40 PM
TStephen
Road Warrior

There really isn't that much to it on a '97.
The part about getting spark when you move the pickup around is what puzzles me. You should get spark no matter what position the pickup is in. It just won't run right, or run at all when the sensor is out of time.
Getting intermittent spark when you move the sensor tells me that it might be in the pickup itself, or a short in the wiring from the sensor to the module.
I'd check for continuity from the sensor's female plug on the harness, to the corresponding connectors on the module end of the harness.
And check the sensor itself for continuity as much as you are able. I think the sensor is sealed, but you can check the wires from where they exit the sensor unit to where the harness plug is. Use some liquid electrical tape to seal up the pinhole you need to make in the wire.
Move the wiring around while checking the continuity and see if there isn't a short somewhere along the line.
If you're getting spark once, you should be getting it all the time.
Once you've determined if there is a short/break or not, follow the procedures to setting your timing.

Last edited by TStephen; 05-09-2017 at 12:42 PM.
Old 05-09-2017, 04:17 PM
jeffneuf17
Intermediate

I traced the wiring, and there is no short on the pickup sensor, or the wires running to the module. On another forum I'm on someone mention creating a short on the wires that run from the module. Essentially you short the black and green wire together, and it cause the bike to fire. If it fires, it's the sensor. If not it's the module. I did that before I got the pickup sensor. It fired so that's why I thought it was the sensor. I did it again to today, and every time I short it, it has a spark but once I hook up the sensor, nothing. Also with the intermediate spark, if I pull it out and put it back in I get spark for a second. Im extremely confused, and have no idea what the heck to do.

Old 05-09-2017, 06:58 PM
TStephen
Road Warrior

Well hellz bellz. It can't be that damn complicated, you only have the three (main) components, and you replaced them all.
Without looking at it I'm stumped.
I'll keep thinking, but it's possible you got a bad module or pickup.
When you say spark, you mean at the plug, correct?

Old 05-09-2017, 09:35 PM
jeffneuf17
Intermediate

Ya at the plug. I have one of those plug spark testers, and when I rotated the sensor, or move it in and out you see the tester light up for a second. Same thing when I short it. Ya I know, could it be timing? I'm stumped ha. Thanks for the help.

Old 05-09-2017, 09:59 PM
TStephen
Road Warrior

Not timing....... probably.
But set the static time and give it a shot.
What the hell, it can't hurt.

Quick Reply: no spark