Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

An Open response to ray 1970 on his question of 'Being Mean'

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007 | 03:44 PM
Terrytori
|
Advanced
Default An Open response to ray 1970 on his question of 'Being Mean'

ORIGINAL: ray1970

I was just wondering if I was the only one on here who could care less if my bikes are "too loud for the neighbors"? Do people really tailor there bike modifications to please the people in their neighborhood? I say if they don't like it they can move.

I'm not sure you qualify as mean but selfish, self serving, self centered, self absorbed, obnoxious and egocentric pop to mind.

Grow up. Contrary to popular belief riding a motorcycle and driving a car are not enshrined within the bill of rights.
They are privileges and as such carry with them the burden of responsibility and accountability.

Accepting for the moment that you care not a rat's *** for the sleep deprived mother who is trying to get her newborn
to sleep, or for the person a couple of doors down laying in a darkened room trying to deal with an agonizing migraine, or for the guy who just got to sleep after doing a night shift, or for the stressed out folks who are just trying to find a modicum of peace in a an increasingly tension filled world... you might want to give a speck of consideration to your fellow bikers.

Motorcycle noise is a front and center issue these days as is all forms of noise pollution.
It's not an accident that Harley Davidson will no longer manufacture or install pipes that are louder than stock.
It is likely that they will soon forbid their dealers to install after market systems that are louder than stock.
It would be nice to think that they are taking these steps out of some genuine social conscience but in all likelihood they
are doing so out of fear of class action suits being brought about by an increasingly disgruntled and aggravated population of non riders.

In case you have not noticed, there are many, many, ( read as many millions) more non riders out there than there are those
of us for whom these things are a passion. What's more... they really are getting pissed.

There are community developments within the U.S. which access pubic roads and which lawfully forbid motorcycles.

There are parking lots that do likewise ( they got real tired of alarm systems going off a dozen at a time )

In Canada, Quebec City forbids riding motorcycles within the old city limits.

There are State parks that are giving consideration to banning all motorcycles because it's simply easier than trying to
pick out the ones that are in violation of noise disturbance laws.

All this to say ray 1970 that your attitudes are pretty much in keeping with your forum handle which is to say they are
so last century.

When in a few years i am riding a scoot that sounds pretty much like my refrigerator if in fact i am allowed to ride at all, i will know who to thank.

Old 06-05-2007 | 04:20 PM
Zeb
Road Master
Default RE: An Open response to ray 1970 on his question of 'Being Mean'

Very good, except for the "last century" remark. I'm from about the middle of last century, and most of us don't like this crap either. In fact, it's non-bikers around my age who are the worst complainers of motorcycle noise.

It's really a non-caringattitude of this21stcentury newbies and youngstersthat seem to be causing the most trouble, IMO. They're the ones who also rattle your homes with their loud, booming, shakingstereos as well, and with their gunfire in the city limits.

Old 06-05-2007 | 04:50 PM
Buda
Cruiser

I couldn't agree more ! We as a motorcycle community need to be considerate of our neighbors and fellow man in general. You can have your loud pipes just don't abuse it. Have your fun out on the open road not in my neighborhood. Every time I see a fellow biker revving his straight pipes at a four-way or any stop all I can picture is a small child saying look at me !look at me !look at me !look at me !. Guess what, nobody cares if your bike is loud except you and the people you annoy. Grow up and if you bought your bike just for the attention then do us all a favor and sell it. And I "could care less if you like my opinion or not" I think someone from another post said something similar.

Old 06-05-2007 | 04:57 PM
Booey424
Grand HDF Member

I respect thepeople who have the"lets be nice to everyone" attitude.Just respect my "I don't care what others think" attitude.Thats why we live in the USA.

Old 06-05-2007 | 05:02 PM
Sammi
Outstanding HDF Member

I didn't buy my exhaust with neighbors in mind.

I do, however, keep my neighbors in mind when driving to and from home, especially early am or late pm.

Sammi

Old 06-05-2007 | 05:10 PM
Buda
Cruiser

Yep sammy its called compromise and I wish more people had your attitude.

Old 06-05-2007 | 05:33 PM
pjweber
Tourer

I agree, consideration works both ways; I bet if Ray1970's neighbors was doing something Ray didn't like would Ray move? I doubt it...

WWRD?

Old 06-05-2007 | 05:39 PM
lunchboxjunkie
Road Captain

Oprah is over we return you to your regularly scheduled program...

Goodbye ladies

Old 06-05-2007 | 05:39 PM
bdavis
Road Master

Terry,
Sounds like you should be riding a moped, not a Harley.

Old 06-05-2007 | 05:43 PM
lunchboxjunkie
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: bdavis

Terry,
Sounds like you should be riding a moped, not a Harley.
How about it... Sounds like Rosie O'Donnel signed on.

Quick Reply: An Open response to ray 1970 on his question of 'Being Mean'