Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sportster Turn Signal Relocation DIY

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2017, 11:08 PM
dfarley91
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Sportster Turn Signal Relocation DIY

So I've been looking everywhere for the relocation kits, and I didn't think some of the kits were worth the price tag on them. I decided to just build one of my own, and figured I would make my first real post on here in the process.

I started by taking the turn signals off, and then removing the license plate bracket the fender. You can't get a screwdriver in to remove these, so you have to go under the fender with a wrench to get them off. I thought I would have to drill a hole in the fender for wiring, but once I got the bracket off, I found that there is a fourth hole beside the three for the license plate bracket. You can see it in the photograph just to the bottom left of the other holes. It was if the HD gods knew that their turn signal location was horrible for saddlebags.

I then left to go to Home Depot, parts in hand, to figure out the gear I would need. I started by finding a slotted piece of flat stock. I knew that having the holes already in it would make it easier for me to bend it without special tools, and also I wouldn't have to drill anything (hopefully). I chose some bolts that were long enough to provide the space that I needed, while being short enough to allow it to fully tighten into the turn signal. I used 5/16" by 1", but yours may be different depending on what signals you have. I then just got some washers that looked to be the right size, and then I stacked them to create enough space between the signal and the mount. I used 6, plus a lock washer. I just mocked the whole thing up right there in the store.

The metal that was used.

I took the license plate, and marked the width on the flat metal, and then used the signal length to determine how much longer to cut the metal. I didn't want anything sticking out past the back of the signal, and I played around with it until it looked the most aesthetically pleasing to me. I then used my jigsaw to cut the metal to length. I don't have any tools for metal working, so I took a 2x4 and used it as an edge to bend the metal over, and the brick to help hold the metal down to the board on the bottom. I slowly bent it by hand, and then used a hammer to get it the way I wanted it. This is what I ended up with.

I mocked up the signals to make sure everything looked okay.

This is a close up of the washers that I used as spacers.

I took it back apart, and used some crappy black spray paint that I had laying around, as I didn't want to use more expensive paint until I was sure it was going to be something I would keep long term.

I got it all back together, and bolted it to the fender. I was able to run the wiring through some of the holes to keep it tucked away. Much cleaner than I expected it to be. Excuse the lack of a taillight, in the process of this, I knocked it around and blew the taillight bulb so a trip to the auto parts store to get a bulb.

Ran the wires through the hole I mentioned before, and got it all plugged back in. They worked perfectly. The only complaint I have after riding for a little while, is with the fact that the bracket is only bolted in the center, so there is a lot of vibration. None of the bolts loosened, and they may never, but there is a lot of shaking at idle. I may make something to fill the space between the license plate and the bracket to stabilize it a little bit more.

I'll post back to update any changes I have to make, or any problems I find! Hope someone else finds it handy. Now to get my saddlebags on there!