Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tryin' to get a new ...

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 07:01 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,297 Likes on 484 Posts
Default Tryin' to get a new ...

Sporty for THE MAMA. Her So-pukey Savage is a little light in the drawers for any road work on a regular basis. Pretty much posted this in the Moderator's forum, but thought it bears repeating. Here's the experience so far:

Well, THE MAMA & I went to Longview to look at Sporties today. No 883 bikes at all, only 1200 models; two 1200L jobs, one 1200C, and two Nightsters. She liked the seat on the L models, but the rear of the tank was a little wider than was comfortable, probably because of the L's seat pushing the rider forward an inch. She liked the Nightster's seating position as it's tank is narrower. Nightster's handlebars might need replacing, or maybe just a set of taller risers.

We talked it over, went to eat lunch to talk some more, then returned & filled out the credit app to buy the black Nightster. Told 'em we were only interested in the $125/mo deal, there could be no pre-pay penalty, and the price had to be MSRP. They tried to steer us away from that deal, but I explained that it was the only one we would consider doing. They submitted the app, and we left to take care of some other business. They were to call when they got the app results, in no more than an hour.

No call. We returned and noticed the black Nightster was gone, so I hoped that meant things were a go. One of the two salesmen was filling out the paperwork on the bike. But not for us. Seems someone called after we'd filled out our app & left and said they wanted the bike. Salesman said he'd give us the two-tone Nightster for the same price, but they hadn't "had the time to check the fax machine" to see if our app had returned. It's now nearly two hours later, they didn't return the call, they don't have the time(?), and it's nearly closing time.

I'm pretty easy-going, but THE MAMA was ready to spit molten nails. I steered her toward the lounge while I went to the john. Came back out and we sat for a couple minutes, but the two salesmen were apparently too busy to walk over to the fax and see if our app had come back, too busy to tell us it was/wasn't approved, too busy to even tell us how soon we might expect anything. We left.

THE MAMA is of the opinion that because we insisted on the $125/mo deal they weren't really interested in doing the deal. She could be right. The finance companywouldn't make their money because I'd pay the bike off early, before the higher payment kicked in. Maybe that would mean the dealer wouldn't get as much of a kickback, or something. Beats me.

All I know is that the indifferent service hascost them a sale. Reckon they'll sell it to someone else, so they probably ain't worried. Shame 'cause I like the dudes in parts, and the lady who runs the clothes is smokin'! I worked with her setting up things for my group to do traffic security, etc. during the shop's open house.

Salesmen suck. Well, maybe I oughtta cut Admin Terry some slack and say that most salesmen suck.

We're heading over to Shreveport HD tomorrow after church. Their website says they have some 883L models in stock. I also filled out a credit app online through Red River HD in Wichita Falls, TX. We'll be up that way next weekend for THE MAMA's Burkburnett class reunion.

The 883L has a nice price, but I'd rather see the Nightster in my shop. That bike is simply the best hunk of meat HD has ever turned out for a street machine. Looks like it's sitting there sayin', "I own you, sucker!"

Shreveport had no Nightsters, and only two L models. Rest of the bikes were C models and I don't want her on the 21 wheel with all the gravel we ride on. She doesn't like how they sit higher, and agrees with me that that riser-thing is ooglier than Rosie's pantaloons afte