Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2 up Comfort on Roadster

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2017, 03:59 PM
Jake Canaan
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2 up Comfort on Roadster

Hi All,

I'm just about to get a motorcycle after 7 years of not having one. This would be my first Harley. My first bike was a Suzuki Intruder 800 (cruiser type). My second was a Yamaha R6 (Sport bike).

I REALLY love the looks of the Roadster and am going to test drive one this weekend. However, no matter how much I love the looks and feel, I plan on having my wife ride with me once or twice a week and she has to be comfortable. During those trips (Expect maybe once a year) I don't really expect to exceed 4 or 5 hours total on the bike roundtrip. Even that long I think would be rare.

I'm 5"9 185 and she is 5" 110. She road on my R6 when we were younger and really didn't like it (obviously, there's hardly a seat there). She's also taken a spin on my dad's road king (she calls it the recliner).

Now, to my question. I'm hoping you folks with experience on Sportsters and hopefully some of you on roadsters can tell me whether or not I can make a 2016 Roadster comfy enough for her to enjoy. My plan would be of course to by the most comfy 2up seat with a nice sissy bar. What do you think, will she be ok with a good seat and a sissy bar? I'm going to have the dealer let us test a few seats this weekend but looking to get some feedback from you all.

Best,

Jake

Old 03-08-2017, 05:47 PM
TheHHMF
Tourer
Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

She may be fine with the stock seat and the low-profile sissy bar Harley sells, like I have on mine, but probably only on short trips of less than 2 hours. I haven't rode it over 200 miles in a single ride yet, and I would be pretty hard pressed to put my old lady back there for more than an hour so the stock seat is probably not gonna cut it for long rides.

Suspension is totally good for it though, no issues there, especially with ya'll not being fat asses lol. In terms of seats check out Mustang, Saddleman, not really any Harley seats I can recommend other than the Sundowner. At your height you will be just fine with the bike itself and it's ergonomics(I'm 5'8"), however I do recommend a slightly taller handlebar(from the 48/Iron 883 or a Lucky Dave's Riser Bar - either will fit with stock cables).

The Harley sissy bar that fits is short, hence the low-profile name. It's that same height as the one you will find on a stock Wide Glide so have her sit on one and see if that's tall enough - I doubt it will be, really. I like it for looks, it's cool, I can strap a bag to it easily, but it is definitely short as hell. Aftermarket has some nice taller ones that fit really well, I suggest you check out all the options out there before you make your mind up on one.

Glad you picked the Roadster to get back into riding! It's an excellent choice and I really love mine to death.

Old 03-08-2017, 06:10 PM
saltlick
Road Warrior
Received 232 Likes on 175 Posts

sportster stock seats are crap, dont even bother riding 2 up unless your in your early 20s and have a high tolerance for pain. Go buy yourself the $350 2up sundowner seat and a wide backrest for her. That will at least make it tolerable for about 2 hour rides for her and you. After two hours expect you both to be squirming around the problem is you two will be smashed up together with no room...if you can afford it, save up a little bit more and get a softail fxstc. One of the most comfortable two up seats ive had, and more than enough room to go miles and miles and miles. I had a sportster and rode with my wife two up...it sucked and i had the fancy seat and backrest for her and i forgot to mention with two people unless you get aftermarket good shocks your going to bottom out alot with her on the back. Sportsters are not meant for 2 people.

Last edited by saltlick; 03-08-2017 at 06:13 PM.
Old 03-08-2017, 06:19 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,991 Likes on 1,693 Posts

I love Sportsters. Had several. Here's what you need to know:

Stock Harley seats have one, and only one, objective, and that's to look cool sitting on the showroom floor. As far as riding on them, they suck. All of them. Whatever the salesman tells you the bike costs, just mentally add at least $400 for new seat(s).

The Roadster has more than enough power to ride two up. But, you'll need another seat. And, if your wife is like my wife, a solo seat plus a pillion pad ain't gonna cut it. You're going to need a good replacement seat for two people. To be honest, I'm not even sure that Harley makes a decent two up seat for a Sportie. You'll probably have to go aftermarket.

Old 03-08-2017, 06:28 PM
TheHHMF
Tourer

Don't listen to a word these two jokers just said. Sundowner. That is all.

Old 03-08-2017, 06:30 PM
TheHHMF
Tourer

Originally Posted by saltlick
sportster stock seats are crap, dont even bother riding 2 up unless your in your early 20s and have a high tolerance for pain. Go buy yourself the $350 2up sundowner seat and a wide backrest for her. That will at least make it tolerable for about 2 hour rides for her and you. After two hours expect you both to be squirming around the problem is you two will be smashed up together with no room...if you can afford it, save up a little bit more and get a softail fxstc. One of the most comfortable two up seats ive had, and more than enough room to go miles and miles and miles. I had a sportster and rode with my wife two up...it sucked and i had the fancy seat and backrest for her and i forgot to mention with two people unless you get aftermarket good shocks your going to bottom out alot with her on the back. Sportsters are not meant for 2 people.
Okay, what?? 1, Have you even seen a new Roadster. 2, they don't sell Softail customs anymore, genius. 3, Roadster shocks are 13.3", they will NOT bottom out even with 400 pounds of fat asses on it.

Old 03-08-2017, 07:08 PM
drinktothat421
Road Master
Received 73 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by TheHHMF
Okay, what?? 1, Have you even seen a new Roadster. 2, they don't sell Softail customs anymore, genius. 3, Roadster shocks are 13.3", they will NOT bottom out even with 400 pounds of fat asses on it.
13.3 inch is at best 3.5" of travel. it will bottom out. unless to preload the **** out of it making it feel bottomed out. they will still ride nice, but they can bottom out. most riders will sit half way into the travel just in suspension sag.

Old 03-08-2017, 07:14 PM
hexnut
Banned
Received 224 Likes on 176 Posts

I don't believe any shock manufacturer recommends 1.75 of sag on their shocks.

Old 03-08-2017, 07:39 PM
Switchback12
Road Master
Received 125 Likes on 94 Posts

Mustang wide comes in 1 piece or two, can't beat them IMO for comfort, have used on several bikes over the years. You can find some higher sissy bars, but likely hard mount unless you can play around with HD docking kits to work with Roadster, one specific to new roadster is not yet available. Previously I rode two up with my girl for a year, we are both a fair bit bigger than you to so yeah it was tight. Went to a Switchback for a couple years which worked very well, now we both ride sportsters. The new Roadster shocks will hold up well for the two of you.

Old 03-08-2017, 11:16 PM
drinktothat421
Road Master
Received 73 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by hexnut
I don't believe any shock manufacturer recommends 1.75 of sag on their shocks.
Maybe not but 1 inch sag (30%) .7 at 25% still only gives you _about 2.5 inches. The shocks have to have sum sag.

Quick Reply: 2 up Comfort on Roadster