Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DK External breather bolts

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2017 | 03:24 PM
Russty__
|
Tourer
Default DK External breather bolts

Hey all,
Recently installed a new intake, DK Hi-Flo 425 with external breather bolts. Installed them the way the instructions explained with no problems. I DID NOT use the washers because I didn't have a gap where the plate meets the breather holes on the top end. I did use blue loc-tite on the breather bolts.

Problem: After riding for a little today, I noticed oil making a mess all over the place on my bike! I understand that maybe a little here and there may blow out but this seemed to be a little excessive and annoying.

Any thoughts? Should I try thread sealant instead?

Last edited by Russty__; 02-19-2017 at 03:27 PM.
Old 02-19-2017 | 04:26 PM
hscic
Grand HDF Member

Where is the mess....dripping from the bolt or oily mist over the AC?

Sound like blow-by if its all over the place....first thing is to check your oil level...should be around mid point between full and add lines. Blow-by can be caused by overfilling.

If it is dripping from the mounts, then it is probably not seated properly...use washer between mount and bolt.

Otherwise use double filter in the EB bolts to minimize oily mist...this is what I did with my external breather bolts.

Last edited by hscic; 02-19-2017 at 04:33 PM.
Old 02-19-2017 | 05:33 PM
brasher
Tourer

I had these on my sporty, they work as described.

I would have a small mist of Oil on my oil bag, would wipe right off.

Oil level is the key. Don't go too full as described above.

Good product though, Venting into a catchcan or breather is the mess free way.

The following users liked this post:
Kirk57 (04-05-2017)
Old 02-20-2017 | 06:44 AM
BlackBettyXLC
Cruiser

Originally Posted by hscic
Where is the mess....dripping from the bolt or oily mist over the AC?

Sound like blow-by if its all over the place....first thing is to check your oil level...should be around mid point between full and add lines. Blow-by can be caused by overfilling.

If it is dripping from the mounts, then it is probably not seated properly...use washer between mount and bolt.

Otherwise use double filter in the EB bolts to minimize oily mist...this is what I did with my external breather bolts.
I, too, get some unwanted mist on the back of my air cleaner back plate. It's enough that it eventually forms a drop that drips down occasionally. My oil level is at the half way point on the dipstick too. I think I might have to try the double filter option and put both pieces of foam in there. Thanks for the advice.

The following users liked this post:
hscic (02-20-2017)
Old 02-20-2017 | 10:01 AM
Russty__
|
Tourer

It seems that its coming from the threaded area. Not the filter. So maybe ill remove them and place the washers in. Will also check oil level. Thanks

Old 02-20-2017 | 10:15 AM
hscic
Grand HDF Member

A catch-can IMO is the best option if it suits your AC and look. Depending on what AC U run, I change the EBS to what best works with that system. I currently run an Arlen Ness Deep Cut AC and run the filter option since it is completely hidden. A catch can would stick out beyond the AC and visible.

A V-stack with External Breather Bolts with double filter

An Outlaw 587 with External Breather Bolts

Arlen Ness with Filter option (bottom view)

Last edited by hscic; 02-20-2017 at 10:18 AM.
Old 02-20-2017 | 10:18 AM
Russty__
|
Tourer

A catch-can IMO is the best option if it suits your AC and look. Depending on what AC U run, I change the EBS to what best works with that system. I currently run an Arlen Ness Deep Cut AC and run the filter option since it is completely hidden. A catch can would stick out beyond the AC and visible.

Arlen Ness with Filter option

The filter doesnt get soaked and drip at all?

Old 02-20-2017 | 10:23 AM
hscic
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Russty__
The filter doesnt get soaked and drip at all?
Haven't seen any oil drip out of the filter yet...and I clean my bike often so would have noticed it. I used to see oil mist on my Outlaw 587 but it was so light that I just wipe it off...I also only had single filter at that time. Double filter was recommended by Kevin at DK....asked them to install it before shipping. They are so awsome.

Old 02-20-2017 | 10:26 AM
hscic
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Russty__
It seems that its coming from the threaded area. Not the filter. So maybe ill remove them and place the washers in. Will also check oil level. Thanks
If you are still having issues, use a nylon washer between the mount and washer since they seal imperfections in the metal (i.e. your brace). Also be sure to clean your mounting surface on the cylinder.

Last edited by hscic; 02-20-2017 at 10:31 AM.
Old 02-20-2017 | 10:27 AM
Russty__
|
Tourer

Haven't seen any oil drip out of the filter yet...and I clean my bike often so would have noticed it. I used to see oil mist on my Outlaw 587 but it was so light that I just wipe it off...I also only had single filter at that time. Double filter was recommended by Kevin at DK....asked them to install it before shipping. They are so awsome.
They are very awesome. I already have them though and have the extra filters. So ill just do it myself! Mine was a little more than a wipe. It was all over my exhaust and AC bracket. Just more messy than i bargained for.

Quick Reply: DK External breather bolts